Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - Jenson would typically ship - even free shipping - via UPS, and I'd usually get the stuff next day. They've recently changed shipping partners to "Asendia", which I'm told ultimately sends it via post, to be delivered to us via Canada Post.

I think they've lost one of their competitive advantages. For example, if I want to wait 1-2 weeks for postal delivery, I can go to Chain Reaction Cycles, which often has an even better price, depending on the component. In addition, a nice side effect of post is that sometimes we don't pay taxes. (I'm not sure of the magic formula for this, but I'm sure we've all benefited from time to time.)

So, not only is Jenson shipping at the same speed as Chain Reaction now, they are still collecting taxes up front as they've done in the past. So, shipping time is identical, but now you have a 100% chance of paying taxes with Jenson.

I'm not sure if they understand the nuances here.

Just FYI.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
I'm guessing free shipping via UPS was just costing them too much. I also just placed an order 2 days ago and was not pleased to see it didn't go via the usual UPS. The Asendia tracking doesn't seem terribly useful either... hoping they provide a bit more detail as it progresses towards the destination.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Huh, I didn't even know Jenson did free shipping to Canada, so I'm actually glad to hear this (even if it sounds like asendia isn't the greatest).

CRC's selection actually seems kind of crappy lately, so the more options the better.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I ordered a bottom bracket that shipped eight days ago and it hasn't crossed the border yet. Still needs to change hands to Canada Post, hang out in customs for a bit and then snail mail to the local post office.

If they had to change shipping companies they should have used USPS like everyone else. Assendia seems slower and their tracking is one step above pointless. Black Friday and the Christmas rush are coming up, things won't be getting faster.

This will be my last Jenson order.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^ yeah, I'd actually swear that it's brand new. I've got $200 worth of brakes in my basket, and two weeks ago shipping was going to be something like $40? Today it's $0.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if it varies by zone within Canada?

I've made 5 orders so far in 2015 (earliest was 4/17). All of which are at least $150, usually because I pad the order with jerseys & stuff to make sure I hit the $150 free shipping threshold. First 4 had free shipping via UPS, which was amazing as it arrived next day.

5th order is still en route via Asendia, no tracking/ETA unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Weird. I'm in Alberta, if that matters.

But for me the brakes were definitely showing shipping, because a few weeks ago ebay was a much better deal than Jenson.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
You should give them that feedback directly. I did.

They think everyone loves the Asendia service - seriously.
I've provided my feed back to Jenson also. I've spend over $1300 with them in the last 6 months, primarily because of the fast free shipping. Likely more of my orders will be going to CRC and Merlin now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This sucks. I've used Jenson a lot lately, partly because of prices (and their to your door price), but also because of their phenomenal shipping. Last few times I've ordered something at lunchtime or later, and received it the next day (and I'm in the middle of the prairies).

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Jenson has had free Canada shipping for a while. I just checked and I ordered in May with free shipping. Seems to me it fluctuates between minimum $150 and $200.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a brief email conversation with their IT Director (who apparently covers logistics too?) and I suggested that if they stick with Asendia they should stop collecting taxes up front.

He replied that they were proud of their "no surprises shipping policy" where you pay nothing else upon delivery.

I explained that their policy was great for couriers, given that DHL, FedEx, etc. all charge ridiculous processing fees, and indeed those were surprises. However with postal delivery, the import fee is always the same, and inexpensive, thus there are no surprises.

If anything Jenson has removed a nice surprise: they ensure you pay tax every time. At least with CRC we have a chance of a tax-free purchase.

I also asked him about a tiered free shipping model. Sure, OK, if I spend the minimum 150 USD I get free postal service. What if I spend $500? Would that qualify me for free UPS?

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,340 Posts
I also asked him about a tiered free shipping model. Sure, OK, if I spend the minimum 150 USD I get free postal service. What if I spend $500? Would that qualify me for free UPS?
Yes. This is the exact reason I would use Jenson, for the UPS no nonsense & fast shipping. I'd pile up a number of items and pull the trigger when it accumulated with enough "value".

Now if they can just sort out the vendor agreements that keep so many parts off their available to ship to Canada list. Ibis wheels & Fox parts are all monopolized by the sh!tty Canadian distributors outright.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I spent $500 a couple of days ago. I saw, as I was checking out, that the estimated delivery time was a couple of weeks. I thought, Nah, and continued. Then I received the tracking info and saw the Asendia logo and a distinct downgrade in information. I used to use CRC, but have more often gone with Jenson in the last while because of the predictable shipping -- usually 2-3 days to my office on Vancouver Island. Pretty sure I'll now go back to CRC.

·
Registered
496 Posts
12 days and it hasn't even left the US. Eff this. Seems like a bait and switch sometime past July 2015 where UPS was 'free' for a while.

Bummer. There was a definite advantage there.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
2 1/2 weeks to get mine. Although that included a week screwing around in Idaho for some reason, and then Canada Post wandering around for another week.

So okay, ascendia kindof sucks.

I did an experiment though, and ordered from Jenson and CRC on the same day (CRC using the Post option, because I wanted to avoid DHL), and the CRC one still hasn't arrived.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first Ascendia order took about 2 weeks, and a CRC order after was also 2 weeks.

However the CRC shipment for $125 didn't get dinged for taxes while Jenson collects taxes on everything.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Wow - I got 2 packages from Merlin two weeks ago, both free shipping and both arrived in 6 days, fastest I think I've ever got a UK package. Maybe the Xmas rush has started.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to be fair to CRC though, I qualified for the next shipping level up, but opted for regular post in the hopes of bypassing taxes, and I got lucky. It could have been faster and still free shipping.

I feel lucky this past week, as I also ordered from ProBikeKit.ca (had never used them before), but they shipped from the UK. I also paid no duty/taxes on that either.

I should go to Vegas now.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts