Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jenson sent me a Skareb Elite with SPV!

4K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
This is kinda interesting. I ordered a Skareb Elite 100mm from Jenson a few days ago for $219 (or $209, can't remember exactly). Seemed like a sweet deal considering they're normally $378, plus I really needed a new fork to replace my ailing Mars Super (piece of @$#%). I received the Skareb today and anxiously tore into the box to finally get to see it in person (couldn't really tell from the pics what the silver color would be like). My first impression was a good one - it's a reasonably nice looking fork. But as I'm examing it more closely, I notice a "SPV" sticker. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then I noticed the red SPV Schrader valve on the top of the right leg! As it turns out, Jenson sent me a SPV Skareb Elite. Not only was I was unaware of the fact that this was an option on the Elite (there is no mention of SPV on Jenson's site), but I also didn't have to pay anything extra for it! Has anyone else gotten this fork? Needless to say, I'm psyched! Now I just need to learn to fine-tune it to my personal specs...

#3 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
what you got was most likely an OE fork specced for a bike manufacturer, not an aftermarket fork. should still be good though (cant complain for $200 :eek: )
Right! I noticed that when I did a search for "Elite+SPV" it linked me to Giant's website where they have a SPV Elite on the NRS. Makes sense. Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with it, eh? ;)

#4 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
what you got was most likely an OE fork specced for a bike manufacturer, not an aftermarket fork. should still be good though (cant complain for $200 :eek: )
Yeah, just remember OE doesn't necessarily mean "inferior", just "different". What a kick-ass deal.

#5 ·
I've seen a few being sold on bikes. I believe Giant and have seen them on some Supergo Weyless bikes too. Thats really cool. Is there any other difference? Is the steerer made of steel or Al? I think some also use a heavier crown. If its just a standard Elite then its pretty much the same as the Platinum! Seet deal! I just bought a Platinum from them a few weeks ago for 550 and noticed the are now 309! Got to call them today and ask about the 30 day price protection and get a refund for the difference!

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip!

dGee said:
This is kinda interesting. I ordered a Skareb Elite 100mm from Jenson a few days ago for $219 (or $209, can't remember exactly). Seemed like a sweet deal considering they're normally $378, plus I really needed a new fork to replace my ailing Mars Super (piece of @$#%). I received the Skareb today and anxiously tore into the box to finally get to see it in person (couldn't really tell from the pics what the silver color would be like). My first impression was a good one - it's a reasonably nice looking fork. But as I'm examing it more closely, I notice a "SPV" sticker. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then I noticed the red SPV Schrader valve on the top of the right leg! As it turns out, Jenson sent me a SPV Skareb Elite. Not only was I was unaware of the fact that this was an option on the Elite (there is no mention of SPV on Jenson's site), but I also didn't have to pay anything extra for it! Has anyone else gotten this fork? Needless to say, I'm psyched! Now I just need to learn to fine-tune it to my personal specs...
Just ordered one.. Was considering getting a Platinum from Colo Cyclist for $299, but they just went up to $350.. So this is perfect.

If you look at the enlarged photo of the fork, you can see part of the S on the SPV sticker (in the same position as the Platinum..)
Makes me wonder how an Elite with SPV is different from the Platinum -- different crown or dampening?

#7 ·
World B. Free said:
Just ordered one.. Was considering getting a Platinum from Colo Cyclist for $299, but they just went up to $350.. So this is perfect.

If you look at the enlarged photo of the fork, you can see part of the S on the SPV sticker (in the same position as the Platinum..)
Makes me wonder how an Elite with SPV is different from the Platinum -- different crown or dampening?
I'm not sure what is different between the two. The steerer is aluminum as far as I can tell... It seems silly that Jenson isn't advertising the fact that these forks come with SPV, perhaps it's a very limited batch or something.

BTW, the fork is awesome, I've gotten over 50 hard, technical miles on it now and it performs great.

#9 ·
To anyone with experience with this fork:

Rider weights?
How do you like the SPV on small/large bumps?
How do you like the SPV on climbs in saddle/out of saddle?
Have you verified the weight? (Jenson claims 3.26lbs, Manitou claims 3.3lbs for the Platinum 100mm and 3.2lbs for the Elite, and WW has the Elite 100mm at 3.24lbs and the Platinum at 3.45lbs)
Does the fork come with a fork pump?
Has anyone verified actual travel?

Thanks for any contributions! BTW, according to Manitou, both the Elite and the Platinum have anodized AL steerers...so what are the differences between this OE Elite and a Platinum???

#10 ·
sweet score...

great price on a sweet fork. i love my '03 marathon s, but this find is really giving me an itch.

from what i have read in the past, the manitou spv is not like the inertia valve on the fox. the manitou spv forks "bob" a tiny bit, but take away the large suspension cycling you get when standing...is this statement right?

also, what is your weight? what psi are you running?

and, what are the topcaps of on your skareb elite/spv made of...i hope alloy, but just gotta ask.

if i have to go out that way, i may just have to stop by jenson.

cheers!

dGee said:

#12 ·
burnside said:
To anyone with experience with this fork:

Rider weights?
How do you like the SPV on small/large bumps?
How do you like the SPV on climbs in saddle/out of saddle?
Have you verified the weight? (Jenson claims 3.26lbs, Manitou claims 3.3lbs for the Platinum 100mm and 3.2lbs for the Elite, and WW has the Elite 100mm at 3.24lbs and the Platinum at 3.45lbs)
Does the fork come with a fork pump?
Has anyone verified actual travel?

Thanks for any contributions! BTW, according to Manitou, both the Elite and the Platinum have anodized AL steerers...so what are the differences between this OE Elite and a Platinum???
I have the Black 80 SPV

I weigh 135 lbs

The SPV is ok. nothing really super special. It is finicky and as little as 5psi change in the SPV chamber can make a noticeable difference. I usually run it at 40-45psi. With 80psi in the air spring chamber. It does minimize bob better than my old SX ti but it is all one big tradeoff. Jacking up the SPV will limit bob but makes it less responsive on the small hits. Manitou Tech support says they changed their recommenation from 35psi to 40psi for the minimum setting in the SPV chamber.

My personal preference is lower SPV combined with fast-middle rebound to really soak up the small stuff. If I want to climb better I'll go higher in the SPV chamber.

Regardless, I love Manitous. Easy to work on and easy to play around with. But this fork requires plenty of time to try a variety of combinatons of air pressure on the SPV and other chamber as well as varying the rebound setting. Also I swapped out to the light rider spring from the stock medium spring.

#14 ·
Kam said:
great price on a sweet fork. i love my '03 marathon s, but this find is really giving me an itch.

from what i have read in the past, the manitou spv is not like the inertia valve on the fox. the manitou spv forks "bob" a tiny bit, but take away the large suspension cycling you get when standing...is this statement right?

also, what is your weight? what psi are you running?

and, what are the topcaps of on your skareb elite/spv made of...i hope alloy, but just gotta ask.

if i have to go out that way, i may just have to stop by jenson.

cheers!
Hey Kam,
Yeah, even with the SPV, the fork *does* still bob a little, especially when out of the saddle hammering. I'm 142 lbs. and I run the SPV at 50 psi as per Manitou's recommendation. The main chamber I run at ~75 psi, (half my weight), also recommended by Manitou. The schrader valves on both legs come with small steel (aluminum?) screw-on caps. I'm still learning how to dial this fork in perfectly, and I would say that the SPV is not perfect, but I like to think that it helps on those long climbs. It's a great fork regardless of how well that SPV works, as it soaks up the big (and small) stuff nicely, while still being stiff enough to feel quick and accurate.

G
#15 ·
is this a good fork for 215 lbs guy ?

Im in the market for a new fork ? do you think this will be too light for this body of 215 Lbs who rides on trails and little off road but stays on the ground most of the time ..

THis deal is too good to pass up ...

Let me know if I should fork over my little mola for this ...

#16 ·
i haven't ridin' a skareb...

but at 215, i'd bet you'd think it's abit flexy. have you checked out the supergo deal on the black elite (it's the model with the 90-120mm rapid wind down, $175). it's disc only and probably better suited for your weight.

cheers!

#17 · (Edited)
Difference:

World B. Free said:
Only difference I can tell is that the Platinum has adjustable air volume on the left leg (rider's perspective). You can turn the blue anodized hex nut to increase/decrease the air volume. Also, the Platinum has adjustable SPV volume as well (red anodized hex nut). The Elite from Jenson may only have SPV without volume adjust (can't tell as their pic does not show the SPV at all!) It's also weird that they have the Platinum for a lower price than the Super.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

#18 ·
Chris2fur said:
Only difference I can tell is that the Platinum has adjustable air volume on the left leg (rider's perspective). You can turn the blue anodized hex nut to increase/decrease the air volume. Also, the Platinum has adjustable SPV volume as well (red anodized hex nut). The Elite from Jenson my only have SPV without volume adjust (can't tell as their pic does not show the SPV at all!) It's also weird that they have the Platinum for a lower price than the Super.

-Chris
The Elite that I got *does* have adjustable SPV volume, Manitou even supplies a special adapter for it.

#19 ·
Ok.

LacticAddict said:
The Elite that I got *does* have adjustable SPV volume, Manitou even supplies a special adapter for it.
Yeah, couldn't tell from the pic--that's why I said "may" (originally spelled 'my'). I guess that only leaves adjustable air volume on the other side as the remaining diffference. I wonder if there are any warranty issues with it being an OEM fork? Quite possibly the best fork deal around in its category.

-Chris

#20 ·
Chris2fur said:
Yeah, couldn't tell from the pic--that's why I said "may" (originally spelled 'my'). I guess that only leaves adjustable air volume on the other side as the remaining diffference. I wonder if there are any warranty issues with it being an OEM fork? Quite possibly the best fork deal around in its category.

-Chris
Chris,

Didn't mean to come off sounding harsh there... Just wanted to clarify for potential interested people that you *can* adjust the SPV volume just like on the Platinum. As for warranty issues, I hope I won't run into any. It's interesting that Jenson makes no mention of these forks being OEM on their site. I would think that this would give me some pull should I ever need to get something repaired under warranty. Then again...

#21 ·
No problem.

LacticAddict said:
Chris,

Didn't mean to come off sounding harsh there... Just wanted to clarify for potential interested people that you *can* adjust the SPV volume just like on the Platinum. As for warranty issues, I hope I won't run into any. It's interesting that Jenson makes no mention of these forks being OEM on their site. I would think that this would give me some pull should I ever need to get something repaired under warranty. Then again...
It was obviously a clarification. It's hard enough to choose a fork these days with so many options, but it really gets crazy when they start mixing and matching features from different forks! Hopefully warranty will never become an issue, and if it does, Jenson may run interferrence for you (although I think the folks at Answer have pretty good customer service).

-Chris

#23 ·
But is it really "full" SPV?

I pulled off the SPV cap to check the oil level, and was surprised to see my fork didnt seem to have any kind of damping piston (as per the service manual). Just the red cap/valve, with nothing attached.

Is my fork a defect, or is this the way it's supposed to be? To me, it seems misleading to label it SPV if its not the same as "regular" SPV.

Im gonna contact Manitou to see whats up.

#25 ·
World B. Free said:
I pulled off the SPV cap to check the oil level, and was surprised to see my fork didnt seem to have any kind of damping piston (as per the service manual). Just the red cap/valve, with nothing attached.

Is my fork a defect, or is this the way it's supposed to be? To me, it seems misleading to label it SPV if its not the same as "regular" SPV.

Im gonna contact Manitou to see whats up.
I'm pretty sure you shouldn't see anything, except for maybe a nub sticking up. The SPV assembly is bolted to the bottom of the lower (along with the rebound adjuster control knob) and ought to have a thin layer of oil over the SPV piston.

#26 ·
You should look at the Platinum service guide not the Elite since that is essentially the fork you have. I'm not even sure why they even called it an Elite. Unless the steerer is steel or it has a wider, heavier, non-hollow crown like the cheaper Blacks did its a Skareb Platinum in every sense. There should be nothing under the SPV cap since that just the air reservoir. The actual SPV piston is located at the very bottom beneath the oil. The only one with something underneath the cap is the Super which has the TPC piston or the real Elite which has a simple rod with a port in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.