Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the catch here? These prices seem too good to be true...

Shimano XT M752 Crankset - $89.
SHIMANO XT® M750 REAR DERAILLEUR - $39

Are these 'standard' XT level components? Derailleur is not the "RapidRise" variety is it?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
you could maybe

get the Jenson deal, they FedEx to Canada, it might come in a bit less. Or try a price match at performance bikes. They ship USPS, so you avoid all the FedEx fees. Make sure they mark it "Made in USA - bike parts" to avoid any duty also (Nafta). Jim

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
GCM said:
Are these 'standard' XT level components? Derailleur is not the "RapidRise" variety is it?
Jenson buys alot of manufacture close out items. They must have a very good buying team out there looking for every deal, but they have to buy the volume to get the deal. It's amazing how cheap it is to manufacture a product after the design, tool set up, production is done. How many years have they Shimano been selling the same product? Thats called Bank!

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Could be OE leftovers

GCM said:

Nothing wrong with that...

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
:Yep, I ordered that M752 XT crank for my bike. Should be here today.

Keep in mind that it's the older Octalink style splined (but still Hollowtech) crank and does not come with an integrated BB and outboard bearings like the newer version. Still a great crank at a great price. You can't even get three new chain rings for that.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Why don't ya call them and find out, then report back. =)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Jenson. $75 for Avids aren't that cheap really though. They used to sell for $69ish a while back. But because they are so popular, the price has risen due to demand.

Phil.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If it feels too good to be true - buy it! If they happen to be the wrong part or wrong price, take it up with Jenson and I'm sure they'll exchange or refund.

I think I overheard somebody that bought that $40 dollar xt rear though and was happy.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Jenson wasn't the only one with the $39 XT M750 rear derailleur recently, Cambria had it too.
The crankset is being blown out in a couple of places too. Usually happens as they're phasing out the product...stock up now if you like these components.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Last year's models

GCM said:

... but still a good solid deal on both. I have those cranks, and they are noting but good... apart from the rings wearing out pretty fast, but that is true of all alloy shimano rings. Good thing there are cheap 104mm 4 arm replacements from other brands. The other downside is that there is only one bottom bracket in the world that works with them, the shimano Octalink V2 BB which is a tad heavy, but pretty durable. I'm 200# battle weight, ride a thousand or two miles a year and seem to kill mine every two years. THey can be had for $30 if you look around, so no biggie when they go. Much better than annual or less replacements on ISIS bottom brackets to the tune of $50 or more.

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
GCM said:

Nope! Not too good to be true.

I ordered the XT rear derailleur and LX shifters, and both arrived in original boxes and packaging.

I'd get 'em while they last!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
GCM said:
I have ordered lots of stuff from them in the past, nothing but good experiences. They tend to "blow out" stuff from time to time, and I typically jump on it.

I got Avid Juicy 5s for $89 each from them a while back, and was then told by a bike shop that was below the wholesale price on them.

I wish I would have jumped on one of those Jenson Chameleons when I had the chance....

·
Bunny Hugger
217 Posts
Jenson Is For Real...

The OP and first responder obviously haven't heard of or dealt with Jenson before. Jenson is for real! Great deals and great customer service have always been Jenson's strong points. If you see a good deal at Jenson, go for it. They inform you if the product is oem or seconds, unlike Price Point sometimes. No worries with Jenson.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
GCM said:

I actually picked both of those a couple weeks ago from jenson. Not too good to be true just not the 'newest and greatest' so they're selling for less. The derailleur isn't rapid rise, which in my opinion is a good thing. The new M760 rear is rapid rise.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
i think alot of jensons pricing comes from blueskycycling their prices we're less than jenson is at least a couple of the things that i looked at and blue sky ships USPS and thats a deal maker for me
DMR

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
DMR For Life said:
i think alot of jensons pricing comes from blueskycycling their prices we're less than jenson is at least a couple of the things that i looked at and blue sky ships USPS and thats a deal maker for me
DMR
That is a issue i have had with Jenson in the past, their shipping & handeling is out of this world, UPS is way expensive.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
*edit*

pimpbot said:
... but still a good solid deal on both. I have those cranks, and they are noting but good... apart from the rings wearing out pretty fast, but that is true of all alloy shimano rings. Good thing there are cheap 104mm 4 arm replacements from other brands. The other downside is that there is only one bottom bracket in the world that works with them, the shimano Octalink V2 BB which is a tad heavy, but pretty durable. I'm 200# battle weight, ride a thousand or two miles a year and seem to kill mine every two years. THey can be had for $30 if you look around, so no biggie when they go. Much better than annual or less replacements on ISIS bottom brackets to the tune of $50 or more.
wait, isn't this what I paid for them 3 years ago on sale?

Still a good deal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts