Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th of July sales are good, as is sensible portion control. It seems the whole of the bike aftermarket had some thing for sale - what did you get this 4th of July season (minus sunburn, hungover and indigestion from Aunt Mae's not so fresh potato salad)?

Mine - all necessities, which presented itself an opportunity to drop a solid pound of bike weight without any sacrafice in durability or sensibility.

First up - pedals.
I like Times, have two pairs of the Aliums, big honkin chunks of aluminum that are indestructible. Unfortunately, one left pedal has a bearing going out and one spring on the right (other pair) is loose from numerous rock/root encounters. So, mix good left pedal with good right on the commuter - and pick up discounted Time ATAC XS from Pricepoint. Net savings approx 86-100 grams.

Old

New (khaki to boot, should match the bronze Sultan paint quite well, since that matters)

Next up - grips. I'm making a bar change on my commuter from an inverted Titec H-bar to a Salsa Moto Ace 17 deg flatbar. Still too much pressure on my ulnar nerve with the H-bar. Since my commuter is also a steel SS frame, I want the bar end integrated Ergon GC2's I have on the Sultan for my commuter. 315 gram boat anchors that are extremely comfortable. On the Sultan will go the new Ergon GX1 Leichtbau's - same Ergon comfort, much lighter. Net savings 187-190 grams.

Old - going to commuter

New GX1 Leichtbau grips

Last upgrade - saddle. Love/hate relationship with my Fizik Nisene Gel CP. Comfy at the start, but past 3 hours, I suffer. Long search, much reading on the fitness boards, more internet sleuthery seeking factual data. In the end, I went to a Specy dealer and measured with their butt-o-meter (Specy Phenom was a finalist) and then to a Trek dealer for their butt-o-meter measuring - which by the way is much better than Specialized's system - ended up with a 154mm Bontrager InForm R. My Nisene was 130ish w/ the padding spanning 110, yet my sitbones were well over 140mm apart. I opted for the R over the RL b/c of padding, the R felt more dense and was a tad heavier, felt more durable IMO too. RL for weight weenies, R for long term comfort with us 200+ lb riders. Net weight savings 100-120 grams. My old bottle cage was starting to chew up my bottles so I added a Bontrager Race Lite cage, my only gucci light weight nod, this thing weighs in a 41g.

I figure eventually I'll get it down around 28-29 lbs. It sits right at 30 w/ current configuration. My Juicy 7s work fine, no reason to change them yet. I'll be all over the new Reba this fall, that'll drop a pound from my current fork. I could go with a carbon bar, however, my Salsa Pro Moto 11 deg flatbar just plain works. I don't need rise, I've got just a small saddle/grip drop, perfect for my riding style. No need to change hubs/wheels - they work just fine too (Hope Pro2/Flows). I like the Ardent and my Dry X out back - I'm no slave to uber-light rubber.

That is all - throw up your 4th of July shopping victories - if you care. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
America--Open For Business!

Pretty mundane purchases for me, not nearly exciting as yours.

Smith Axis glasses
Dakine Nomad
Fox Launch leg armor. This was a total find. I have been looking for some decent hardshell armor but it is difficult to gauge sizing on the Internet; Esp since I have Huuuuge legs. Walked into my local shop looking for a full face helmet, (no go) so ended up trying on armor instead. They had one pair in my size. Fit like a dream. Should hold me over 'till I buy my Roach stuff.

·
Single Malt
958 Posts
New Reba thru axle??

You mentioned this fall? I have a new Sultan frame in the waiting. I can't wait any more!! Any more info. would be great!!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
TLL said:
Pretty mundane purchases for me, not nearly exciting as yours.

Smith Axis glasses
Dakine Nomad
Fox Launch leg armor. This was a total find. I have been looking for some decent hardshell armor but it is difficult to gauge sizing on the Internet; Esp since I have Huuuuge legs. Walked into my local shop looking for a full face helmet, (no go) so ended up trying on armor instead. They had one pair in my size. Fit like a dream. Should hold me over 'till I buy my Roach stuff.
There is more - but not Sultan related. For my Monocog Flight - $11 got some Forte Gotham 700x35 kevlar lined commuter tires (with www.Panaracer.com molded into the side despite the Forte hotpatch - they appear to be re-branded Panaracer Crosstowns https://www.panaracer.com/products/urban/detail_crosstown.html. My Monocog Flight, with these tires at 60psi - scary fast urban mosheen :D Still need a rear rack, some lights and I'm contemplating fenders - but that's boring utilitarian stuff.

·
Go Fast, Take Chances.
204 Posts
Picked up some grips(ODI Ruffian MX w/ the waffle grip at the fingertips)

a new saddle(WTB Silverado Team)

a new bashguard(I prefer the looks, durability, & price of the Shimano Saint bashguard)

a chainguide(Blackspire Stinger)

That's about it, they were all things that I had been wanting/needing and I got a great deal on everything. I also used the scale at the shop and weighed my RFX and was pleasantly surprised. With a DHX-C & EX823's it was at 32.76lbs.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
jonathan_sykes81 said:
I also used the scale at the shop and weighed my RFX and was pleasantly surprised. With a DHX-C & EX823's it was at 32.76lbs.
Mine weighs 32.5 with an RP23. I'd say you have a pretty light RFX.
GreenLightGo said:
There is more - but not Sultan related. For my Monocog Flight - $11 got some Forte Gotham 700x35 kevlar lined commuter tires (with www.Panaracer.com molded into the side despite the Forte hotpatch - they appear to be re-branded Panaracer Crosstowns
sweet, you should be able to really sail with those things.
Lastly, just picked up a Giro Remedy for the unheard of price of $57 at Sierra Trading post. I had a 15% coup which brought the price down from $67. :eek:

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a great price on the Giro. I like Giro myself, ride a copper colored XEN through the woods but lacked a commuter helment - Performance had these Giro Transfer helmets on sale as well - $19.99. Will save wear and tear on my XEN padding.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
That is a great price on the Giro. I like Giro myself, ride a copper colored XEN through the woods but lacked a commuter helment - Performance had these Giro Transfer helmets on sale as well - $19.99. Will save wear and tear on my XEN padding.

Now that is a sweet deal!

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
A..

GreenLightGo said:
4th of July sales are good, as is sensible portion control. It seems the whole of the bike aftermarket had some thing for sale - what did you get this 4th of July season (minus sunburn, hungover and indigestion from Aunt Mae's not so fresh potato salad)?

Mine - all necessities, which presented itself an opportunity to drop a solid pound of bike weight without any sacrafice in durability or sensibility.

First up - pedals.
I like Times, have two pairs of the Aliums, big honkin chunks of aluminum that are indestructible. Unfortunately, one left pedal has a bearing going out and one spring on the right (other pair) is loose from numerous rock/root encounters. So, mix good left pedal with good right on the commuter - and pick up discounted Time ATAC XS from Pricepoint. Net savings approx 86-100 grams.

Old

New (khaki to boot, should match the bronze Sultan paint quite well, since that matters)

Next up - grips. I'm making a bar change on my commuter from an inverted Titec H-bar to a Salsa Moto Ace 17 deg flatbar. Still too much pressure on my ulnar nerve with the H-bar. Since my commuter is also a steel SS frame, I want the bar end integrated Ergon GC2's I have on the Sultan for my commuter. 315 gram boat anchors that are extremely comfortable. On the Sultan will go the new Ergon GX1 Leichtbau's - same Ergon comfort, much lighter. Net savings 187-190 grams.

Old - going to commuter

New GX1 Leichtbau grips

Last upgrade - saddle. Love/hate relationship with my Fizik Nisene Gel CP. Comfy at the start, but past 3 hours, I suffer. Long search, much reading on the fitness boards, more internet sleuthery seeking factual data. In the end, I went to a Specy dealer and measured with their butt-o-meter (Specy Phenom was a finalist) and then to a Trek dealer for their butt-o-meter measuring - which by the way is much better than Specialized's system - ended up with a 154mm Bontrager InForm R. My Nisene was 130ish w/ the padding spanning 110, yet my sitbones were well over 140mm apart. I opted for the R over the RL b/c of padding, the R felt more dense and was a tad heavier, felt more durable IMO too. RL for weight weenies, R for long term comfort with us 200+ lb riders. Net weight savings 100-120 grams. My old bottle cage was starting to chew up my bottles so I added a Bontrager Race Lite cage, my only gucci light weight nod, this thing weighs in a 41g.

I figure eventually I'll get it down around 28-29 lbs. It sits right at 30 w/ current configuration. My Juicy 7s work fine, no reason to change them yet. I'll be all over the new Reba this fall, that'll drop a pound from my current fork. I could go with a carbon bar, however, my Salsa Pro Moto 11 deg flatbar just plain works. I don't need rise, I've got just a small saddle/grip drop, perfect for my riding style. No need to change hubs/wheels - they work just fine too (Hope Pro2/Flows). I like the Ardent and my Dry X out back - I'm no slave to uber-light rubber.

That is all - throw up your 4th of July shopping victories - if you care. :thumbsup:
A 56cm Gunnar roadie frame and fork...burp..

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jrm said:
A 56cm Gunnar roadie frame and fork...burp..
nice, better than all the peripherals I got!

TLL - yeah, that price on the Giro Transfer is good. I got one just like it two years ago for my oldest daughter and it was $40 plus on sale. I may have to go get one more since my 11yr old boy's cranium is about ready to outsize his Mongoose hard-shell skid lid.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trailadvent said:
If this is what you 29ers use to hold on with Im definitley sticking with a 26er, dam those are ugly, its like a GOREDUKE for grips or something:p
Greenlight all good brotha just taking the piss, sure those upgrades and weight weanie drops will be good for the mighty sultan..chur.
Big grips and toe clips :thumbsup:

Don't think weight weenie, think portion control. ;)

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a set of the OURY lock-ons at home -they currently reside on my son's bike though - he acquired them this spring in a round of spare parts upgrades to his '06 Spec'y Hardrock Sport Disc.

I liked the OURY's but much prefer the Ergons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.