Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's bad. Highway 50 is a heck of a fire break, I hope.

This from an hour ago:

THE EL DORADO COUNTY SHERIFF HAS ISSUED UPDATES TO EVACUATION ORDERS NEAR THE CALDOR FIRE

WHAT: Update to the Evacuation WHEN: Effective Immediately
WHERE: Below are the updates to the evacuation orders

EVACUATION ORDERS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING AREA: Evacuation Orders:

• All areas between Mormon Emigrant Trail and Hwy 88 Citizen Evacuation Centers

• Currently Accepting People:

Cameron Park Community Services District
2502 Country Club Drive, Cameron Park, CA

Green Valley Church 3500 Missouri Flat Road Placerville, CA

• Currently Full
Diamond Springs Fire Hall
3734 China Garden Diamond Springs, CA

Animal Evacuations
• Large Animals
Amador County Fairgrounds
• Small Animals
El Dorado County Animal Services 530-621-5795

#caldorfire U.S. Forest Service - Eldorado National Forest El Dorado County Sheriff's Office

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Two hours ago

EVACUATION ORDERS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING AREA:
Evacuation Orders:
• Intersection of Perry Creek and Hawk Haven
• East side of Fairplay Road from Perry Creek South to Cedarville Road
This includes Slug Gulch, Omo Ranch, and all roads off of Slug Gulch and Omo Ranch
• All roads off of Omo Ranch from Cedarville Road to Hwy 88

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Three hours ago

EVACUATION ORDERS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING AREA:
Mandatory Evacuations:
• South side of Hwy 50 North of Sly Park to extend West to Snows Road
• North side of Hwy 50 from Larsen Drive to the west and Ice House to the East

Evacuation Warnings:
• Crystal Basin North of Hwy 50 to include the area of Loon Lake Ice House, and Union Valley Reservoir
• Area South of Hwy 50 from Ice House Road to Kyburz extending south to Hwy 88

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Morning map shows nothing new in the direction of Sly Park or Fresh Pond, progress mostly to the east toward Kyburz. Touching US 50 at Bridal Veil Falls and Riverton. I guess if it crosses the road there it's only a few feet to the next fire break, the south fork of the river.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,061 Posts
My son and his family evac'd out of the Snows Road area south of Camino yesterday afternoon.
That's where I used to live.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Not good. I hope they can get it under control quickly.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Morning map shows nothing new in the direction of Sly Park or Fresh Pond, progress mostly to the east toward Kyburz. Touching US 50 at Bridal Veil Falls and Riverton. I guess if it crosses the road there it's only a few feet to the next fire break, the south fork of the river.
Yeah, I want to text my brother and tell him he dodged a bullet but he's not out of it yet. A wind shift could cause this thing to circle back.

·
Ride On!
1,261 Posts
Definitely Sucks! My family had a home in Pollock for about 30 years, hate to see this happen there. Looks like Flemming Meadows (Trail 8), if not already, will be a casualty here along with other trails. I live in Chico and seeing the Dixie Fire burn a huge swath of beautiful forests, never thought it would now be knocking on Susanville's door. Wondering if Tahoe might be in its path given how big these fires are getting this year.

Just heard they now have closed the El Dorado National Forest through September, which shuts down a big chunk of Tahoe's west shore trails including the Rubicon trail. Lassen and Plumas National Forests were shut down earlier this summer. I am afraid that shutting down forests early in the summer and gating off the remaining roads back into them will be something we are going to have to contend with. My prayers are out to all those folks evacuated, must be a very difficult place to be.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I wonder about something... if this is all deadwood from the bark beetle infestation, then maybe the story has an end. The hills are not going to fill back up with pine trees, right?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder about something... if this is all deadwood from the bark beetle infestation, then maybe the story has an end. The hills are not going to fill back up with pine trees, right?
I'm sure there will be a mix of pine trees and others. I think pinecones and seeds can stay dormant for years.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Just my understanding which may be incorrect. Due to the amount of deadwood and heat of the fires, the cones are often burning to the point where the seeds do not germinate. As a result regrowth is likely to take much longer. Fires used to occur much more regularly so they were not has hot as there was less dead material to burn. The trees evolved over hundreds of thousands of years, our changing of how the natural fire processes occur only a couple of hundred.

Unfortunately the many factors that have gotten us where we are now have occurred over the past decades, if not longer, and will likely take just as long to fix.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.