Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted in A/M section but also wanted to ask here :

Currently running an RS Sektor with 150 mm travel and I'm planning to change it with a new Pike 160 dual position.

My question is, can I get the 27.5 one for a better choice in future upgrades or the extra 10 mm added in axle to crown will mess up the ride?

Axle to crown :
Sektor : 528 mm
Pike 26“ : 542 mm
Pike 27.5“ : 552 mm

I wouldn't mind a slighty slacker angle since I ride pretty steep terains, but nothing to extreme that will change the way it rides in a bad way.

By checking pictures of Jerome's bike from last year with the clearance that his front tire had and also taking in consideration that he previously had a 170 Lyrik with a similar A to C, I wonder if Sram did the same thing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
For me, 10mm didn't make that much difference on my RZ120. On that bike, I really didn't notice too much difference until I ran the Lefty at 130 and put a 650b on it. Only then did I really notice the front end get light and want to wander on climbs.
Now you've got the coil Sektor right? I think we've got the same bike and that's what's on mine. I have to ask, do you just have upgraditis or looking for something different from your fork? I'm asking because I was really thinking about changing out that Sektor when I got the bike and then rode it. It's a budget kinda heavy fork but I think it rides great and decided to save the money for the 2-300g I would shave going to an air spring. I was wondering what you feel it's missing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lefty at 130 + 650b should be fine for the Jekyll, that's around my current fork size. As with the Sektor, it's a dual coil, that I have upgraded with dual flow rebound and RLT compression damper from Revelation. Don't get it wrong, it's a nice fork and not that heavy, around 2.1 kg, but when I take it on difficult terrain with rocks sometimes it packs down, even if I ride pretty high rebound and with some lsc compression. Also when I compare it with my brothers Lyrik it's a real difference in terms of damping, feel, rigidity.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't think there will be a significant difference, but I guess it's all personal.

Pike is definitely a great fork, but Buzzaro raised a valid question, is it worth it really?
Sektor is much less maintenance, cheap (you already have it! :), and I have a friend riding all kind of gnar with his Fox 32 on a Jekyll and he's no lightweight, so stiffness wise I don't believe there's much real difference.

Unless you can get Pike really cheap and do a swap out which won't cost you much, go for it, otherwise I don't think it's worth it.

It might be cheaper to ride the bike as much as you can and then sell it, get a new Jekyll on closeout - that way you'll have a new bike with new parts and the price difference won't be that much bigger than buying Pike and other new parts to replace worn down ones on your old bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you say but I've made some calculations and it doesn't fit the bill in case of a swap. I can get the pike now for 550 + new stem and headset reduction kit is around 600 euros. Sektor will go for +200. That means 400 euros, an amount that is two small to jump from my used but customised to my taste Jekyll 4, to a 650b one with a Pike R solo air (simpler damping) that has minimal improvements over my current bike.

Riding it as it is now can be an option but when I can see how nice a Pike fork runs compared to mine it's a bit frustrating.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
In that case, I don't think the 10mm will make a huge difference. From the 26" to 650b fork. You'll definitely notice it coming from the a2c on the Sektor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered today the 26 one. In case that I need even slacker angle I can just swap with the 650b lowers. Hope it will make a good impression :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts