Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I like rigid MTB.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Jones bike using fat tire in the front and 29x2.5 in the rear.
I wonder how is its winter snow ride performance.
Any JJ user here that can give me some first hand experiences ????

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I used a setup tire wise similar to this on a inbred frame. The problem becomes float, no matter how big of a 2 point whatever tire you put on the back is it is going to sink in and be nothing like a fat bike. What would make it even worse on say a Jones Spaceframe is a lot of your weight is over the back wheel.

I road like this for a couple years but the day I got a fat bike the snow performance was so much better with a large rear tires to distribute the weight more evenly.

I am speaking on your snow ride performance.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
You need to balance the rear with the heavier weight of a fat back wheel, or you'll go ass over teakettle every single time you hit a snow jump:

;)

Mr. Pink hit the nail on the head. The Jones' rear weight bias makes it easy to punch the back tire through the snow compared to a full fatty. On my SpaceFrame, the widest tire I could put on the rear is a WTB WeirWolf, and its relatively small knobs weren't so awesome for the snow I was riding on at the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here are the tires which I used on my SpaceFrame :
Panaracer Rampage 2.35 - 2.28 real width
WTB Stout 2.30 - 2.30 real width
Bontrager FR3 2.35 - 2.32 real width
WTB WeirWolf 2.55 - 2.32 real width
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.40 - 2.38 real width

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.