Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone recommend to me a bike rack for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This jeep has an interchangable hitch package (right now it is just a blank square in the back of my jeep/tow package). I've also seen the racks that can (with 8 or so latches) latch on to the tailgate/swinggate.

A major consideration for this rack for me is my non-traditional bike frame. I own a Cannondale Raven Super V 4000SX.

You can view the frame here:
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/00/images/large/r4000sx_00.jpg

Other considerations in order are:
1. Weight of the rack (so I could possible take on and off by myself)
2. Bike slots (3 would be a good number, but im interested in whatever 2, 3, 4)
3. Storage/amount of room the rack takes
4. Cost

If you have a link, picture, website, availability, and/or price range of your recommendations, that too would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
S6

PS: I am trying to avoid roof racks... I don't want to climb my jeep to put the bike up... I'd rather have a rear rack.

PSS: I'm tired of laying my seats down and putting the bike in and out of the back of my jeep (dirt, picking it up, etc... annoying)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Swagman, Performance Xport Flatbed, Thule T2, etc... there is a Yakima and 1up rack like these too that would work but I can't think of their model names. You probably want a "flatbed" rack where the bike attaches at the wheels so frame type doesn't matter. I have a Performance Xport Flatbed, it's cheap (139$) and holds two bikes, they have a 4 bike version as well. I have mine attached to a Jeep Liberty and it's worked pretty well so far. The Thule, Yakima and 1up will be better quality probably but also much more expensive.

I should note that I needed to purchase a hitch extension with my Performance rack to clear the spare and allow the rear door to open and use both bike slots on the rack. I've heard the Thule is much longer than the Swagman/Performance so that is something to consider.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Yakima Hookup and t2 type of racks will definetly fit your odd frame. Do a search and you'll find a picture of my hookup on my Wrangler. Both will run you somewhere around 300 to 360 for the two bike carrier. another 200+ to add another 2 bikes to it. Not cheap but both are solid racks. Both have been discussed before.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
all you need is an adapter, it attaches to the seat post and stem. then the bike will fit any rack. used it for years with my old y frame bike
I like the Thule 4 unit, hitch mount

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
I've got a Sportworks T2 and am pretty happy with it. However, I saw what looks like it might be a 2007(?) model at the LBS the other day and was WAY unimpressed. Looks like Thule's main goal was cost cutting, almost to the point of not trusting a bike on it. I was messing with the Yakima Hookup at REI one day and it seemed like the ratchet on the Yakima was super-solid. If I were in the market for one right now, I'd probably pick up the Yakima.

Hope this helps some!

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.