142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thread closed:madmax:

Reactions: S_Trek

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I have it all stripped down and threw away most of the parts. theres a Trek store near me so I can get parts there.

First off I am focused on finishing the frame first. Its gonna be a lil tricky for me to explain since I dont have 10 post counts yet and cant post a picture, hey blame the admins not me.

I have the center frame, it came with rear and front suspension system. I threw the rear away, and i kept the top part of the front suspension. However the rear frame has a separate joint system. meaning theres a bracket going in between the joints, one swivels and ones welded on. I want to know where I can find a matching rear suspension that fits 28s. remember its one-piece metal so I dont care if its from china.

Reactions: Boyonabyke

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok after pestering a few people on the forums (sorry) i finally got 10 post counts and now can put pictures up

the bike when i first bought it
https://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i351/N_Knipp/Facebook/*******%20Jeep%20Bike%20build/393454_340655199286211_100000252018401_1313900_1067172048_n.jpg

hardware parts
https://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i351/N_Knipp/Facebook/*******%20Jeep%20Bike%20build/381267_340657872619277_100000252018401_1313903_839716679_n.jpg

look closely, the piviot between the rear and main frame is joined by a bracket. one side is welded and the other swivels. I need to find a rear suspension frame like that, any ideas?
https://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i351/N_Knipp/Facebook/*******%20Jeep%20Bike%20build/408046_340810832603981_100000252018401_1314237_330064010_n.jpg

the main frame, start of my build
https://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i351/N_Knipp/Facebook/*******%20Jeep%20Bike%20build/390756_340812349270496_100000252018401_1314246_92820116_n.jpg

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Have you measured the head tube's inner diameter? If it's a one inch tube you may run intio issues finding a newer fork for that frame.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I can't offer any help with the pivot you seek, but I'm not sure I advise taking a 24" wheeled bike and trying to build it up to fit someone 6' tall. You have stated you want to make it a 28". That is not a typical size. Your next size up would be 26". The rear triangle that goes back to the rear wheel and the front fork would both need to have 2" of add'l clearance. Further, you will completely change the geometry. If you really like the Jeep frame, I would suggest you work with the 26" frame you have.

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you measured the head tube's inner diameter? If it's a one inch tube you may run intio issues finding a newer fork for that frame.
I dont know what youre talking about. The front fork?

28s :eek: this should be an interesting build
Yep it should

I can't offer any help with the pivot you seek, but I'm not sure I advise taking a 24" wheeled bike and trying to build it up to fit someone 6' tall. You have stated you want to make it a 28". That is not a typical size. Your next size up would be 26". The rear triangle that goes back to the rear wheel and the front fork would both need to have 2" of add'l clearance. Further, you will completely change the geometry. If you really like the Jeep frame, I would suggest you work with the 26" frame you have.
No its possible, i can machine the parts of nessescary. If people can build a truck out of a wrangler, i can build a 28" from a kids bike.

·
Huckin' trails
6,055 Posts
Hey, look what I build from department store frames. Inexpensive trail bike and winter rig that just simply work. Then I keep the money for my main ride and to pay for trips to the mountain. It's not everybody here that are made out of money. Both bikes cost less than $400 total to build up and they work nicely, trail and winter worthy.

Enjoy the wrenching :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats about right where I want to spend. $400-500 on this build. I'm not after carbon fiber frames or fancy disc brakes. only thing I would spend so much on is the shifters. Cause I want a good 10-speed shift.

and that last snow bike looks sweet. love the designs.

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still I'm looking for the answer to my frame question.

"where can I find a rear frame suspension for 28s that can fit on the main frame?"

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts

"where can I find a rear frame suspension for 28s that can fit on the main frame?"
Walmart. That suspension design is known as a unified rear triangle and it's pretty much only found on disposable big box store bikes nowadays. In other words, you are not going to find what you are looking for.
I would suggest taking the money you would put into this build and just buy another bike. What you are attempting to do just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think you mean 26" tires?
Putting a 26" fork (if you even can) and rear swingarm may get you 26" tires, but you may find your knees into the handlebars, and that you run out of seatpost needing to raise the seat so high.
Even then the handlebars will be low, and it would just not be comfortable to ride.
My daughter has a 24" bike, and I can't see my 5'-11" self riding it other than goofing off in the driveway.
We admire creativity and drive here, but this project deems destined to fail because of lack of research and thought.

Putting a lift and big tires on a Jeep is much easier... There are 1000's pf standard kits and parts to do it, and your driving position remains the same.
This project... not so much.

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Walmart. That suspension design is known as a unified rear triangle and it's pretty much only found on disposable big box store bikes nowadays. In other words, you are not going to find what you are looking for.
I would suggest taking the money you would put into this build and just buy another bike. What you are attempting to do just isn't worth it.
idk if walmart sells parts individually.. but ill check.

no it worth it build my own.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Nick - I'd vote against this build. Seems like a money pit. If you're 200lbs and you ride that frame off road you'll likely break it sooner than later. My $.02.

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick - I'd vote against this build. Seems like a money pit. If you're 200lbs and you ride that frame off road you'll likely break it sooner than later. My $.02.
nah it will happen. I myself am a mechanic with CAD experience and will be taking welding/machining classes soon.\

frames are made of metal, its hard to bend a good metal frame. besides by the time im done with it i may be 170lbs.

my jeep tub is made of thinner steel and it still holds up alot of weight, im pretty sure a bike frame can hold up some weight. the springs will hold up, this isnt gonna be a 28" made out of weak parts, im looking at the heavy duty,

if yall dont wanna help dont say nothing. i aint gonna hear 2 cents against my build,

people build bikes out of rocket engines and succeeded regardless of how many people were against it.

sorry i had to go out like that im just tired of people thrashing at me about this. I just want to let yall know I like a challenge and I will build this bike.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "28s". There are 26", 27.5" and 29" wheels available for mountain bikes. If that frame was built with 24" wheels originally I highly doubt you'll be able to increase wheel size to even 26" and like others have said, if you're over 6' the frame is way too small for you.

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what you mean by "28s". There are 26", 27.5" and 29" wheels available for mountain bikes. If that frame was built with 24" wheels originally I highly doubt you'll be able to increase wheel size to even 26" and like others have said, if you're over 6' the frame is way too small for you.
28 or 29 it still is a good size tire for trails.

the frame is short, not small. I rode it around when i first bought it and did fine.

bmxers have smaller bikes and theyre the same size as i am. look at them flying around in the air

·
biker, biker, and biker
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think im gonna go to walmart or target and look at their bigger mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame off them. would have to bring a measuring tool, hope they have something

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
28 or 29 it still is a good size tire for trails.

the frame is short, not small. I rode it around when i first bought it and did fine.

bmxers have smaller bikes and theyre the same size as i am. look at them flying around in the air
Yes and clowns ride tiny bikes in the circus and get around "fine". Using bmx for comparison is apples vs. oranges. Post results of your search though, and video of you flying around in the air on it would be entertaining.
I commend you for your sticktoitiveness.

1 - 20 of 683 Posts