Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Racer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, i just finished this build and i haven't been on a downhill bike in 8 years. I was worried about how I'd feel on the bike but I am AMAZED at how comfortable I feel on this bike. It's like it was made for me. So glad I decided to go with a canfield!

and now my minor dilemma... What springs are you guys running on your jedi and how heavy (or light:)) are you?

Sean originally recommended a 500 lb. spring for me (190 with gear, maybe 185) but I got a 400 on mine right now since they didn't have any when they shipped my bike. The 400 feels very plush and nice but I can tell I'm going to bottom it fairly easily. I think I want to go 450 but I thought I'd ask around for some input before I make my decision.

What do y'all think?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
185 nekkid, today. I was ~180 during riding season and ~192 kitted up. I was on a 400 Ti w/ a Ti-Spring thrust bearing on a '14 and it was spectacular w/ the CCDB. I up'd the rate to 425 for the Jade. I'm hoping this would put my sag at roughly around 30%.

FYI, I'm also running ~1-7/8" sag on the Emerald...almost 24%.

·
Racer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 400 feels awesome at 180# riding around my house. Sean says 400 lb. springs should be for 165 lb. max weight. I think the 450 would be perfect. 500 too heavy. I like to run things on the soft side versus the hard side. not afraid of bottoming out from time to time. just means you are using all your travel! although, pau11y you are pretty much the same weight as me.

I may go with a 425 when I upgrade to a ti-spring in the future. I'll try the 450 for a while first before spending the big bucks for the ti.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The next question would be what is the recommended sag ?

Im 215Lbs and i get 33% with 500lbs coil. That is pretty standard for DH.

I tries 2 different 500lbs coil and both gives me 33% ish sag.

If i put a 550lbs since it seems to be the recommended coil i will end up probably with 28-29% sag !

·
Registered
358 Posts
33% sag is ideal.
I was on a 450 for a while, felt great, open and fast. But the proper 500lbs gives me the ideal sag- which dials in the pedaling feel and pop. Massive pop. So much fun on Orcus island three weeks ago.

·
May The Force Be With You
2,418 Posts
I'm 200lbs (working on cutting 30-40 lbs) Double Barrel currently has 400# spring. Swapping it out for a 500#. until the weight starts falling off. Lots of cardio and lots of water!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts