Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Jeans suck, buy cycling shorts

Votes: 39 72.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats wrong with riding mtb with blue jeens? You don't get cut as much if you crash, you dont have to worry about getting sunburned. Everytime I ride with jeans I get comments from other riders...

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Never ever thought about riding in blue jeans, I guess the one concern would be limited mobility, in the knees and and around the hips, and comfort. Reminds me of my dad who seems to always ski in blue jeans and a hawaiian shirt... :cool:

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Used to know a guy who rode in cut-off blue jeans (god rest his soul). Nearly every time I saw him he would have a gaggle of racer-types chasing his around, and he'd consistently be kicking everybodys butts.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I did when i was a kid...and when i got wet in the rain with them i was truely miserable. Baggy shorts or tights if its cold and wet (which it ofteb is in the UK). I also find that they catch on the big chain ring and it bugs the crap out of me.

For urban riders maybe...but not for me (xc and general trail riding).

Stu

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jeans are hot, don't breathe, don't have padding where needed, get caught in the chainring, get(and remain) soaked during stream crossings and rain storms and limit your mobility. There are way too many other choices, even if you don't like wearing lycra.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wouldn't even consider ridng in a pair. I used to in college and after when I was in training and used my bike as transport and they did save my a$$ several times from nasty burn out from falls. Where I am now it's just way to hot to wear jeans just driving anywhere, farless while riding. As for wearing them while doing serious MTB riding definitely would even have considered it - as stated above... no padding, stay wet when they get wet, get caught in the chain rings.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I wear jeans in winter sometimes. I'll wear them, when one of those cold icy wind storms blows into the high desert and I'm despret to go riding. It hurts, without a pad in the crotch though. I think this next winter, I'll try some of those padded underwear or lycra shorts under the jeans.
The rest of the year I wear my bike shorts.
The key is wearing the " relaxed fit " type. Not so loose though, that they catch on the nose of the saddle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Forget jeans, ride in Gap Khakis!

You see lots of North Shore extremo Freeride types wearing jeans in the latest videos & pics; so I guess in 18 months all we'll hear about is how spandex is so yesterday and jeans are so much better to ride in.

No thanks, no jeans for me on the trail. Now if they had a denim jersey, that would be cool!!!! Maybe with some khakis and old school penny loafers w/ cleats on the bottom. Could be like 1989 'business casual' trail attire... ;)

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Jeans is not suitable material for outdoor sports

Jeans is not a suitable fabrice for MTB or outdoor sports. Jeans is made of cotton which holds moisture longer thus tend to dry longest time compare to synthetic. Cotton doesn't stretch like lycra thus inhibit body movents. Cotton retains sweat thus you are wearing a wet cloth on your body that can make you cold in inclement weather.

All mountain search rescue and millitary personel wear synthetic when they work outdoors. If a person wear jeans, he /she does it at his own risk when the weather turns bad. I had seen people wear jeans in cold weather and the sight of them shivering in the cold was not funny at all. I , in contrast, was toasty warm in my synthetic cordura, lycra pants. Science has proven that cotton is unsuitable for outdoor activities. There are ample scientific evidence to prove the point.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i've ridden in jean shorts a number of times. i'm usually wearing my cycling shorts under them. i usually wear them for the pockets, and when i'm on more of a long, leisurely ride. or if i know it's going to be hard to change at the trailhead, or whatever, and i don't feel like pumping gas and eating after ride burgers in my nut huggers.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Surplus BDUs are pretty good. I used to ride a pair of cut off BDUs until I could afford buying regular shorts. Tey would be pretty good over lycra or padded underwear for winter or in rough grown in trail systems. Of course, I haven't ridden in BDUs since I've been married (12 years). My wife might think I'm some sort of red neck hillbilly or somthin. ;)

mc

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you like 'em, there's nothing wrong with them. I used to ride with a guy who wore jeans and rode a Huffy...he was slow, but there was nothing he couldn't ride over or through.

I don't find them comfortable, but if they make you happy, go for it.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
The Lone Wolf said:
Whats wrong with riding mtb with blue jeens? You don't get cut as much if you crash, you dont have to worry about getting sunburned. Everytime I ride with jeans I get comments from other riders...
You get comments because jeans are way to casual for riding. If you really want to be taken seriously, wear this,

Attachments

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
You get comments because jeans are way to casual for riding. If you really want to be taken seriously, wear this,
Oops, almost forgot, don't forget to pick up one of the following as well. You don't want to look like an idiot.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.