Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is pretty self-explanitory, see diagram that I presented below as part of a working file demostration on this new multi-use park template for last night's OSAC Study Session. I also presented a sample location last night too, so I'll post another set of maps under this one in this thread.

If you have further input on this matter for the Open Space Advisory Committee and JCOS Staff, you may attend any of the future OSAC meetings which take place the first Thursday of each month, and sign up to speak (does not need to be an agenda item). If you want me to make the map available then again in future meetings for discussion, I will do that.

When I get more feedback from OSAC and Staff on the matter, I will pass it along.

Regards,

Dave Cohen
JCOS Trails Use Task Force Biker Representative

Attachments

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
North Mathews/Winters Park Proposed Concept

Two maps below, the first is the existing Apex DH shuttle route. The second is an example proposal to develop the currently undeveloped and already Open Space owned land parcel know as North Mathews/Winters for a new multi-use park including a DH shuttleable trail (see the first map/template at the top of this thread). The red dotted lines are just access proposals, the road up could be contained within the gray park boundry, or negotiations for use of the adjacent land to the west (bottom section of Cabrini Shrine road or the possible use of land for an unpaved access road to the top trailhead).

Again, this is a template, it can be applied to other land parcels. This NMW parcel is ideal for many reasons, but also has it's challenges with access. It is a shorter DH run than Apex, but Apex is not intended to be a DH run, it is a multi-use park. So is this template, but this template attempts to solve a specific problem by providing new trail mileage in the form of a new type of JCOS multi-use park. The proximity to Apex, shorter shuttle loop that doesn't go through intersections and residential areas, and bike only downhill trail would serve to offer a better alternative to DH shuttling Apex. We are not recommending that any bikes should be banned from using Apex (or anywhere else), but Apex is the highest conflict park in the system and we are looking at any ideas to cut down on the speed differential issues there, to attempt to "move" shuttle traffic to a more appropriate location, and one that is actually designed to be a DH run with no other uses on that trail. Is this preferential treatment to anyone (bikers)? No, it's a solution that benefits everyone using the parks, provides "neighborhood" oportunities to recreate in Open Space parks (resorts are great, but too far away to solve this problem, especially on weekdays after work), and does not ban or discriminate against any park users. May be as close to a win-win situation that we could hope for.

Dave

Attachments

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JOEMTBR COLORADO said:
Not familiar with the area but am all for using open space for recreation. Good luck.
Good question, I was hoping that some of the others involved in this would chime in with more specifics, but it's a template that can be applied to any suitable land parcel, so the mileage will vary depending upon location and trail/course layout and design.

North Mathews/Winters is a good example because of location, elevation drop and it's an already county owned not yet developed JCOS managed (to be managed) property. We looked at others, and are always looking at potential and new land aquisitions.

The JCOS Director tasked the OSAC committee with recommending policy for "new and emerging uses in OS parks" within a 6-9 month timeframe. They want to adopt policy for sections where none currently exists or it is only general policy. So this is the best time to educate and bring them up to speed on the current situation and needs. I'm told they owe it to us to clarify and let us know where they stand on these issues soon. They are listening and reviewing the material, and it's still a good time to speak your mind and contribute if you have more to say, add or emphasize. Let them know we need this. A good oportunity for this is at the monthly OSAC meetings, first Thursday of each month.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.