Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all.
Well my road bike upset's a bone spur in my shoulder but riding a mtb is ok (it's about bar width and hand positions)
So i built a freak or hybrid:confused:
It's a JBC 26inch carbon frame 1030grams.
29er wheel's.
Cyclocross fork's.
Compact road crank.
Total bike weight is 8kg it's on par with a road bike for speed but kill's em on city link bike path's and frantastic to ride.
Has anyone used these frame's before. :thumbsup:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,943 Posts
I haven't but would love to own one. Any problems putting a road double crank on MTB frame? I was wondering about chainring clearance and a good chainline specifically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes technically it doesent fit i was just playing with the idea but i have done around 600km riding since the build and it seem's very sturdy.
The frame has a 73mm BB and have only fitted the outer bearing cups without the centre section to make it narrow as possible.
There's one spacer on the drive side so the 50T ring has 4mm stay clearance the non drive side crank arm has 14mm purchase on the axle so i'm using one pinch bolt and 2mm of the outer bolt the side arm bolt is tentioned tighter than normal.
You did'ent notice that the ultegra derailier is only on there for the pic's i've been riding the whole time without it and the chain's never come off. :nono:
Reason being i'm waiting to sorce second hand XT or XTR brake caliper's so i can fit my M-775 duel control lever's. The shifter's and brake's need to be set up together.
I know the road derailier will work as there's enough adjustment for out swing.
The shifting at the rear has been great but because i'm mainly a road rider have got away with just the 50T for now and the two largest cassette ring's really want the lower front ring.
Overall i've been really happy with it as i've said i'm just a road rider and the most stress i've put on it is when i see a hill, pick a higher gear and really mash the peddle's it feel's very sturdy. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mountain Cycle Shawn said:
That's really nice. I'll bet it flies!
G'day thank's for the nice comments and it's very fast and gets lot's of look's from roadies. :eekster:
I notice you have a KTM 530 , nice bike I have a yamaha WR450 and race the south australian reliability trails series in events from 6 hours to 24 hours and love it. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,853 Posts
jbchybridrider said:
G'day thank's for the nice comments and it's very fast and gets lot's of look's from roadies. :eekster:
I notice you have a KTM 530 , nice bike I have a yamaha WR450 and race the south australian reliability trails series in events from 6 hours to 24 hours and love it. :thumbsup:
Right on! Yes, I love my 530, it's street legal to!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Dang that thing looks good!!

I'm doing a similar build....had to sell the cross bike....as my do it all bike. to address possible clearance issues, you could run a mtb crank with 48/36 or 48/34 up front and and a 11-25 road cassette to achieve similar gear inches I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blak_byke said:
Dang that thing looks good!!

I'm doing a similar build....had to sell the cross bike....as my do it all bike. to address possible clearance issues, you could run a mtb crank with 48/36 or 48/34 up front and and a 11-25 road cassette to achieve similar gear inches I believe.
Thank's mate. I have a triple ring crank with a 48T ring but with 68mmBB and ISIS (heavy) I always liked road crank's for the straighter narrower arm's I find it more easy on my knee's.
I also thought about a road cassette but I think there's issue's with that to, might need a spacer behind the cassette and a road deralier might need spacer's to line up the jockey wheel's with the cassette if you know how all this work's with a 135mm axle mtb wheel i'm interested to know your solution.
A short cage deralier would help shifting though.
I asume the bike you sold was a cyclocross bike. I've found this build very worthwhile because it does everything with just a tyre change road, mtb, cyclocross, citybike it does it all with ease just cant fit big 29er balloon tyre's (26inch frame) Seeya.

Above with cyclocross tyre's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mountain Cycle Shawn said:
Do you get any toe overlap with the front wheel? I think If I build something like this, I would stay with 26" wheels. But I think your bike looks absolutely fantastico man!!
There's 40mm clearance with CX tyre's that's what's on the bike at the moment and would think about 50mm with 23mm road tyre's :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mountain Cycle Shawn said:
That's good to know thanks.

What seat post clamp do you have on there?
The clamp and carbon JBC post that's not on bike (to short for me) came with the frame but no heatset that would have been nice.
If your interested looking I bought the frame from WDCyclestore on ebay they also have a seperate online store.
These frame's come in red or blue 16 or 17 inch also JBC or jerry bicycle company has close tie's with hodaka that doesent make carbon frame's but is 30 percent owned (pretty sure have to cheak again) by giant and it's likely they make the frame as they do for lot's of other big name brands such as scott.
There's alot to read as i've done no dought because I own one. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,853 Posts
jbchybridrider said:
G'day all.
Well my road bike upset's a bone spur in my shoulder but riding a mtb is ok (it's about bar width and hand positions)
So i built a freak or hybrid:confused:
It's a JBC 26inch carbon frame 1030grams.
29er wheel's.
Cyclocross fork's.
Compact road crank.
Total bike weight is 8kg it's on par with a road bike for speed but kill's em on city link bike path's and frantastic to ride.
Has anyone used these frame's before. :thumbsup:

Hey! Could you please measure the radius of that wheel and tire combo? I would like to see if they will fit in this frame and fork.Thanks. Here is a pic of mine with mountain tires:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
motosig102 said:
that bike is amazing.... I wish mine was like that they are so fun to ride and for me a whole lot easier to ride than a roadie. here is mine although completely stock still couldnt even be in the same area as yours.
It might be better than you think even with a little more weight it still looks efficient and would roll good. Nice bike :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·



Dude that bike looks awesome :cool: I feel like changing my frame now, well almost Ive already spent to much money.
I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it. I actually almost bought one like it. Its good to see one built up.
As for the wheel its the middle of the week so have my ride to work tires on with a pic above.
Its a 28c bomb proof against punctures the total diameter is 685mm so if this fits any 23c tires will work.
I know your into enduro bikes so put a link at the top you might like its what I do and killer, a seven round series tempretures get to below 0 degrees and we go all night. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,853 Posts
jbchybridrider said:



Dude that bike looks awesome :cool: I feel like changing my frame now, well almost Ive already spent to much money.
I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it. I actually almost bought one like it. Its good to see one built up.
As for the wheel its the middle of the week so have my ride to work tires on with a pic above.
Its a 28c bomb proof against punctures the total diameter is 685mm so if this fits any 23c tires will work.
I know your into enduro bikes so put a link at the top you might like its what I do and killer, a seven round series tempretures get to below 0 degrees and we go all night. :D
That's funny, I was thinking, I like your frame a lot better. I would like to get one, but they are a lot more expensive. Thanks for getting the wheel diameter for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,853 Posts
jbchybridrider said:



Dude that bike looks awesome :cool: I feel like changing my frame now, well almost Ive already spent to much money.
I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it. I actually almost bought one like it. Its good to see one built up.
As for the wheel its the middle of the week so have my ride to work tires on with a pic above.
Its a 28c bomb proof against punctures the total diameter is 685mm so if this fits any 23c tires will work.
I know your into enduro bikes so put a link at the top you might like its what I do and killer, a seven round series tempretures get to below 0 degrees and we go all night. :D
Is your frame a 29er frame?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top