Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jay is my neighbor and 2nd favorite ridding buddy (my son's the favorite), he's been riding a converted Fuji frame for about 2 years and recently got some bike money and got himself a Zion frame.

I posted during the week asking about how much torque to apply to the EBB pinch bolts and posted a pic of the new frame halfway built. The following pics are a before and after a frame and some parts upgrade, hope you like it as much as he does.

Before

Mid Build

Finished product

Yes, PVC spacers.

I like the way it turned out, do you?

We'll be taking the Zion to the trails later today to see how he likes it and to do any trailside adjustments that may need to be done.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Purty-Purty. We gotta get you some spare 9 speed cassette spacers, the ones that come factory, and usually get needlessly tossed out with the rest of the old cassette you've replaced, and toss the pvc pipe. PM me if you can't get any freebies from the local shop, or your own piles, I'll send you some. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I love that "other upgrades" got mixed in. Definitely a sweet ride.

Attachments

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inagural Ride Report

After finishing the build and Jay taking it for a sping around the neighborhood we decided to go for a late afternoon, early night ride so he could test ride the bike and do any trailside adjustments that may be needed.

We left at 4:30pm for a town called Florida which hosts a local XC and 24 hour race, we have done the 24 hour race and love the course because it's technical and can be ridden under any weather and trail condition. The trail was wet making the ride more interesting.

We did 2 day laps and only needed to adjust the rear caliper, afterwards we took a short break, put the lights on and went for 2 more laps. Jay was quick, don't now if it was because of the new bike exitement or the gear combination, we had a great time and Jay's very happy with his new ride.

Pics

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
obionespeedonly said:
Purty-Purty. We gotta get you some spare 9 speed cassette spacers, the ones that come factory, and usually get needlessly tossed out with the rest of the old cassette you've replaced, and toss the pvc pipe. PM me if you can't get any freebies from the local shop, or your own piles, I'll send you some. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I love that "other upgrades" got mixed in. Definitely a sweet ride.
Hope that Jay will PM you, he mentioned something about getting metal spacers to ditch the PVC; we'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Zion

It's a definate improvement over the fuji.

The new headset was the most obvious improvemnt, along with the 34/20 gear ratio (I ran 32/20 on the fuji). I was able to finish 4 laps, where two weeks ago I had to bail out on the 4th lap, though this may be attributed to new bike syndrome. I was noticably less sore in my arms afterwards as well.

Yakswak Yes the rear treads are on backwards, better traction for wet roots and rocks
Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.