Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've never raced in the winter but really don't want to after long road,mtb, and cross season (apr-dec) but I have lots of winter riding experience but not like the Vermont riders.

I also considered this race but seeing how I'm on Cape Cod and that's 5+ hours away and... . $50 or $100 entry fee... . unlikely.

equipment will depend on temps and conditions that day. what you wear will depend on your own experience. everyone is different. from my experience I would know what to wear for 10,20,30 deg F but the 30mile race,if the terrain keeps average speed low, would worry me. I know how long I can ride at various temps and if it's below twenty then my feet would be frozen after 3 hours. foot warmers might be needed, for me. I have lake 300 shoes but they're still cycling shoes and not great. the 10-miler would not be a concern regardless of terrain or temps. forgot, your drink turns to slushie very quickly when really cold. yeah, I wouldn't pre-enter the 30 miler without knowing the temps,but that's me.

if there's snow or wet conditions then icing might be a problem. you'll lose some range of shifting ,if you have exposed cable without housing and no deicer used. I've never used deicer but seems like a good idea. ice can get really thick. also, you'll need to know how much ice (2 mile pond crossing) you'll encounter to determine if studded tires would be needed. you don't want to use them unless really needed due to their weight.

anyway, I'd do it but the logistics for me makes it not worth it. but winter riding on nice hard packed snow and ponds on nice sunny day is great. just so refreshing. deep unridable snow is not. ridability is so dependent on the snow type and temps.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Even a 10 mile ride in the snow and conditions there will be enough to make you s2nd-guess even doing it. Be prepared buy having a lot of snow riding experience of your own. It's a very different deal because of what Dang said...equipment failure, possible sub-zero conditions, etc.

You can get lucky (depending on your perspective) and have a 30 degree day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.