Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride was stolen from my patio (patio locked, but not bike, stupid, I know). I am heading out to the Columbia River Gorge this summer and NEED a real bike again. I just bought my husband the Jamis Dakar XC and now I want it (but with Hayes instead of J h-disc brakes) My old bike was a Specialized Epic (2003). I liked her, but it seems like the Jamis gives me more for the money. Am I missing something? Am I developing an irrational east coast preference? Help appreciated. (no, he can't help. he has no idea what a crank arm is. I got it b/c it was close to the price limit he set for me and thought he'd stay out with me for longer rides...)

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Does the Jamis fit right?

There are a few differences between the bikes.

The Epic's designed to be more of a 'racer bike', it has a horst link (if that matters to you), and fits differently from the Jamis.

The Jamis has a good parts spec but doesn't have the horst link, is a seatstay pivot instead of horst (if that matters to you), and will fit different from the Specialized.

I've had both Specialized's and Jamis (Jamises, Jamii?) bikes in the past and they've both been great bikes. My gut would tell me to get the one that I liked more, be it for the paint scheme, components, ride, whatever.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

JmZ

xcmom said:
My ride was stolen from my patio (patio locked, but not bike, stupid, I know). I am heading out to the Columbia River Gorge this summer and NEED a real bike again. I just bought my husband the Jamis Dakar XC and now I want it (but with Hayes instead of J h-disc brakes) My old bike was a Specialized Epic (2003). I liked her, but it seems like the Jamis gives me more for the money. Am I missing something? Am I developing an irrational east coast preference? Help appreciated. (no, he can't help. he has no idea what a crank arm is. I got it b/c it was close to the price limit he set for me and thought he'd stay out with me for longer rides...)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jamis is a great design

xcmom said:
I just aquired an 05 XC Pro from Jamis and I love it! It has the RP3 Prop Pedal rear shock from Fox, so pedal bob is not an issue. The build quality is top shelf and all XTR is sweet for only $3499 MSRP. I picked mine up for $3299. Even the XC Expert is a great deal with XT parts groupo and RLC shox from Fox. That can be had for under $3000. I have heard mixed opinions on the Epic, but you get a lot more bike for the $$$$ going with Jamis and both have similar handling and geometry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HPilot said:
I just aquired an 05 XC Pro from Jamis and I love it! It has the RP3 Prop Pedal rear shock from Fox, so pedal bob is not an issue. The build quality is top shelf and all XTR is sweet for only $3499 MSRP. I picked mine up for $3299. Even the XC Expert is a great deal with XT parts groupo and RLC shox from Fox. That can be had for under $3000. I have heard mixed opinions on the Epic, but you get a lot more bike for the $$$$ going with Jamis and both have similar handling and geometry.
I loved my Epic, but she was more of a racer. I love Jamis, for a lot of reasons. In the end, after reading your advice - thanks to both of you - I went with a Specialized Stumpjumper. Not that I think its worth the extra dollars per se, but that my local shop sells it and I just love those guys. Free tune ups until they fold, too. I feel better about ditching Jamis b/c I got a friend to buy one. Not bad since she's never been off road! Never to late to start breaking things, I guess. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.