Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’m curious what made you all choose a Jamis over other brands? I checked out both the portal and hardline the other day after riding around a 2021 Kona process 153. I was pleasantly surprised, particularly with all the talk of seat angles now a days, and felt like I was in a relatively balanced position on both bikes. The geo felt very good on both bikes and has me rethinking my idea to buy a Santa Cruz.

The hardline and its geo felt very much like my Knolly Warden Carbon in all the right ways making it a very pedalable 160mm bike.

With bikes getting so long now a days I’m wondering if the Jamis is a sleeper pick for the types of trails we have in pisgah and western NC.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I’m curious what made you all choose a Jamis over other brands? I checked out both the portal and hardline the other day after riding around a 2021 Kona process 153. I was pleasantly surprised, particularly with all the talk of seat angles now a days, and felt like I was in a relatively balanced position on both bikes. The geo felt very good on both bikes and has me rethinking my idea to buy a Santa Cruz.

The hardline and its geo felt very much like my Knolly Warden Carbon in all the right ways making it a very pedalable 160mm bike.

With bikes getting so long now a days I’m wondering if the Jamis is a sleeper pick for the types of trails we have in pisgah and western NC.
jamis geo is very balanced and great for the real world. read any of these guys' reviews for a different perspective than the pinkbike crowd. they grill bikes for not having long enough chainstays and or not being well balanced.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/enduro-race-bike-mtb-review/

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Long and low bikes are a negative if you have twisty, rocky, 1st gear uphills. New England for example.
I have way more pedal strikes on my Enduro than on the Portal.
Maybe apples to oranges, but you get the picture.

·
SR Suntour
121 Posts
Fortunately I work in the bike industry and get to try out quite a few bikes. I've been interested in the Jamis for a bit and got a chance to ride a hardline last fall. I loved how well it pedaled for a 160 bike and I bought one the next day. Then this spring the new carbon bikes came out and I decided to buy the Portal. I ended up selling the Hardline (most of my cycling events/trips were cancelled and it seemed like overkill on my local trails) and my trail bike and rolled with just the Portal for everything this year. I really like it but I actually liked my Hardline more though. Ultimately if they made a Hardline 29 I'd get that right away! But of the 2 dozen I've rode extensively or owned the two Jamis' bikes would be in the top 5. Jamis also seems to have some availability right now...harder with other brands.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello all, I just picked up a lightly used 2020 Hardline A1 locally. I don’t have the manual with it. Are there any recommended setting for the shock or just shoot for 25-30% sag and let her rip?

Are there any problematic pivots to watch out for, or just make sure everything is torqued regularly?

Thanks...looking forward to giving it a ride and comparing it to bikes I’ve had in the past.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fortunately I work in the bike industry and get to try out quite a few bikes. I've been interested in the Jamis for a bit and got a chance to ride a hardline last fall. I loved how well it pedaled for a 160 bike and I bought one the next day. Then this spring the new carbon bikes came out and I decided to buy the Portal. I ended up selling the Hardline (most of my cycling events/trips were cancelled and it seemed like overkill on my local trails) and my trail bike and rolled with just the Portal for everything this year. I really like it but I actually liked my Hardline more though. Ultimately if they made a Hardline 29 I'd get that right away! But of the 2 dozen I've rode extensively or owned the two Jamis' bikes would be in the top 5. Jamis also seems to have some availability right now...harder with other brands.

What other bikes would you recommend? I have the Portal and YT Izzo as my top 2 right now. Looking to stay around 130 - 150mm and pretty set on sticking with a 29er. Budget is $3k but willing to spend up to $4k if it is worth it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What other bikes would you recommend? I have the Portal and YT Izzo as my top 2 right now. Looking to stay around 130 - 150mm and pretty set on sticking with a 29er. Budget is $3k but willing to spend up to $4k if it is worth it.
You might be constrained to availability at this point. That being said, I really like the geo of the portal and think it would be a great trail bike.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You might be constrained to availability at this point. That being said, I really like the geo of the portal and think it would be a great trail bike.
yeah, i am finding that with just about everything. I'm not in a huge hurry but would like to get one this spring.

·
SR Suntour
121 Posts
yeah, i am finding that with just about everything. I'm not in a huge hurry but would like to get one this spring.
I really liked the Guerrilla Gravity bikes, especially the Trail Pistol (had both that and a Shred Dogg). The Revel Rail was also amazing (I'm still considering a Rascal as that bike would be perfect on my home trails.). If you're a hardline rider I love the Polygon Xquare1 too, it's less playful than the Hardline but feels like the travel is never-ending. The Marin Rift Zone 29 is another bike that's great on value. I rode the previous iteration and it felt really fast on flat and rolling terrain. The Jamis, Revel and Polygon seem to have class-leading pedaling. The Marin and GG seem to be most dialed for me at least geometry wise (The Revel too). You could also consider the Preorder for the Canfield Tilt (which has the same suspension as the Revel bikes) if you want something different, I probably would if my trails (and my rIding) were rowdier.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts