Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
looks pretty good. they're going to get slaughtered in the geometry wars though. at least on paper.

the coil X2 on the 130mm bike is pretty sweet.

i think the hardline looks like the better buy. if i was specc'ing a purpose-built enduro bike, i'd buy that over anything in the market for tighter trails.
I'm glad they specc'd SLX drivetrain and brakes on their entry-level carbon models (instead of NX and Guides). Not stoked on the Hardline C3 colorway, but otherwise a very intriguing package at a fair price.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey all, could use some sizing help. There's a nice Hardline build online that I kind of want to jump on, but it's a size large and I am 5'10" with 31 inch inseam. Perpetually between sizes. What sizes are y'all running for your height and how do you like it? Portal or Hardline, doesn't matter since their geos are so close.

·
SR Suntour
125 Posts
I have the large and am 6' with about the same inseam 31.5 or so. It'd probably be perfect for you I've been working to get a little more front end height (10-15mm) but your reach should be a little different. I definitely wouldn't get the medium as your post would be so high and that would slacken the seat tube angle too much while pedaling.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Portal A1

Hello,
I'm considering a Portal A1+ frameset purchase in size Large.
I'd be building it with 29" wheels & 2.4" tires.
Can anyone tell me the BB height on this configuration?
Also, I'd need a shock.
I'm 200lbs and riding New England singletrack. Does anyone have a shock recommendation for my weight and trail use?
Shock sizing is 210mm (eye to eye) w/ a 55mm stroke.

thanks

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
measurement request

Hi,
Could someone w/ a Portal measure the outer diameter of the top of the headtube please?
The distance between these arrows. thanks.
ed454d7fad4b558111c42b646284a19e.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
You probably really need inner dimension...

Portal uses integrated headset.
IS42 , BEARING OD 41.8mm, BORE ID 41.95–42.05MM

Bottom
IS52 BEARING OD 52MM BORE ID 52.1–52.15MM

·
SR Suntour
125 Posts
Just got me the new Jamis Carbon Portal C3! Swapped out the bars and fork but otherwise stock so far. Plan to swap wheels but will ride these first for a bit to see what I think and will swap the saddle and grips before I actually ride it. It's been raining 3 days straight here in Wisconsin so I'll have to wait until hopefully the weekend!

It went together great and looks much better than I thought (I don't like Maroon but I definitely wanted this build.). The published weight even after converting to tubeless is 2 lbs less than my build, I shaved over a pound of it with OneUp carbon bars and a lighter fork.

AD8B567D-5C96-4E80-86E0-32F24CE29410.jpg
E17A7975-200B-496C-AEDA-2F3A33B0961A.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got me the new Jamis Carbon Portal C3! Swapped out the bars and fork but otherwise stock so far. Plan to swap wheels but will ride these first for a bit to see what I think and will swap the saddle and grips before I actually ride it. It's been raining 3 days straight here in Wisconsin so I'll have to wait until hopefully the weekend!

It went together great and looks much better than I thought (I don't like Maroon but I definitely wanted this build.). The published weight even after converting to tubeless is 2 lbs less than my build, I shaved over a pound of it with OneUp carbon bars and a lighter fork.
Congrats!!

Jamis making some interesting color choices. Some of the frame colors i like (but not a fan of some of accent color choices). I think if they made better colorway combos they would sell more bikes. Lol.

I would definitely look into changing to a quicker engaging hub at some point. On my A2 it came specd with formula hubs which have 18 degrees of engagement. Swapped to a different wheelset which has 9.2 degrees which was a HUGE improvement and about to install an i9 1/1 wheelset which is 4 degrees.

·
SR Suntour
125 Posts
Congrats!!

Jamis making some interesting color choices. Some of the frame colors i like (but not a fan of some of accent color choices). I think if they made better colorway combos they would sell more bikes. Lol.

I would definitely look into changing to a quicker engaging hub at some point. On my A2 it came specd with formula hubs which have 18 degrees of engagement. Swapped to a different wheelset which has 9.2 degrees which was a HUGE improvement and about to install an i9 1/1 wheelset which is 4 degrees.
Thanks! My plan was to buy a 120mm bike of some sort and the Hardline carbon for enduro. But most of my mountain bike travel plans were scrapped for the year so figured I'd meet in the middle for the best bike on my home trails. But I almost didn't get the portal as I HATED the color of the C3 but wanted the new 12speed Shimano and didn't want to pay for the C2. It's growing on me now that I have it and looks nicer in the sun.

The plan is to get some Hunt wheels but they won't have micro spline until late May. They also spec'ed the 25mm internal DT Swiss wheels which I don't understand; I'll have to run slightly higher pressures to keep the tires from folding when I corner. But I figured I'd give them a try in the meantime. The fork also has 6mm less axle to crown than the stock Fox so I put it in low mode to compensate but might need to adjust that as well.

But overall I'm happy with it! Pedals like a dream, the tires seem awesome and the geometry is pretty nice although I might look at an angleset at some point to slacken it just a bit for some new features we have. I'll report back when I can ride the machine proper...

·
Registered
128 Posts

View attachment 1328603
View attachment 1328601
Congrats on the purchase, really digging the maroon with yellow accents (my high school colors)! Looking forward to some ride reports. I still can't believe how little information there is on the internet about these bikes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks! My plan was to buy a 120mm bike of some sort and the Hardline carbon for enduro. But most of my mountain bike travel plans were scrapped for the year so figured I'd meet in the middle for the best bike on my home trails. But I almost didn't get the portal as I HATED the color of the C3 but wanted the new 12speed Shimano and didn't want to pay for the C2. It's growing on me now that I have it and looks nicer in the sun.

The plan is to get some Hunt wheels but they won't have micro spline until late May. They also spec'ed the 25mm internal DT Swiss wheels which I don't understand; I'll have to run slightly higher pressures to keep the tires from folding when I corner. But I figured I'd give them a try in the meantime. The fork also has 6mm less axle to crown than the stock Fox so I put it in low mode to compensate but might need to adjust that as well.

But overall I'm happy with it! Pedals like a dream, the tires seem awesome and the geometry is pretty nice although I might look at an angleset at some point to slacken it just a bit for some new features we have. I'll report back when I can ride the machine proper...
Fyi...with regard to angleset....

Cannot be done due to the use of integrated headset design :(

Ive been really impressed with the vittoria tires. The rubber compound with the graphene is great. So much so that my brother got a set of martellos for his bike (which he likes more than the maxxis dhf/dhr combo which came stock) and i picked up a set of vittoria agarros for my other rig.

·
SR Suntour
125 Posts
Alright, no angleset for me. Waiting for a different air shaft for my fork to make it a touch longer to get the angle proper.

Had the first ride on it (pretty casual with my family with only a couple sections of rip...) and rode it in low mode.

First of all, I broke the chain 1.3 miles in. So that stunk. It's a KMC 12spd, with a lot less torque then I'm capable of. Only has a 12spd Sram Eagle only link, but it seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions for me (companioning mostly to my 2018 Trek Fuel EX):
-It was poppier than I thought. Cleared the jump lines better and with less effort.
-It pedals great...like really great.
-I wanted a degree or two more of seat tube angle when I bought it. I just moved the rails up about 1cm more than I used to and was very happy with the position.
-The color looked better in the sun.
-It railed tighter berms better than I thought.
-The rims are too narrow. I'm a big dude but even at 30PSI I could get them to deform a little too much. But the grip was there, so I'll order a second wheel set.
-Seems like it'll be absolutely perfect for midwestern pedally singletrack.
-Love Shimano brakes.

76BDB6AA-6A9A-4B31-82BE-5FF69E1DF8FF.jpg
913CC1E0-0AD5-418E-830F-8C5F83264D98.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Alright, no angleset for me. Waiting for a different air shaft for my fork to make it a touch longer to get the angle proper.

Had the first ride on it (pretty casual with my family with only a couple sections of rip...) and rode it in low mode.

First of all, I broke the chain 1.3 miles in. So that stunk. It's a KMC 12spd, with a lot less torque then I'm capable of. Only has a 12spd Sram Eagle only link, but it seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions for me (companioning mostly to my 2018 Trek Fuel EX):
-It was poppier than I thought. Cleared the jump lines better and with less effort.
-It pedals great...like really great.
-I wanted a degree or two more of seat tube angle when I bought it. I just moved the rails up about 1cm more than I used to and was very happy with the position.
-The color looked better in the sun.
-It railed tighter berms better than I thought.
-The rims are too narrow. I'm a big dude but even at 30PSI I could get them to deform a little too much. But the grip was there, so I'll order a second wheel set.
-Seems like it'll be absolutely perfect for midwestern pedally singletrack.
-Love Shimano brakes.

View attachment 1330237
View attachment 1330239
I am running 140mm Pike fork and will swap to 150 airshaft to see how i like it. That will basically change HA by 1 degree from original 130mm

I had kicked around idea of shorter offset fork but that is a pricey project. Lol

I quickly changed to 30mm internal width rimset...Kind of silly they spec’d 25mm stock.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts