Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just saw this advertisement of Jamis bastard. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/fullsuspension/sixfiftyb/10_dakar650b2.html

Sixfifty builds on the trail-killing success of our XCT Trail Bike, with an mp3 multi-link suspension that’s optimized for 650B wheels. Why 650B? you get the lightweight flickability and snappy acceleration of smaller 26” hoops, but you’ll also enjoy the relentless roll-over-everything trail ownage of 29’ers without their extra height and heft.

How possibly a 25mm larger hoop can have all advantages of 63mm larger hoop?
How possibly a 25mm larger hoop can have no disadvantages of 63mm larger hoop?
Tha't a pure lie! Physically impossible.

Ill-conceived idea!
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=402908

They decided to sponsor a 29er forum and offer no FS 29er, but cared to create some hideous FS critter.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
The decision to sponsor the 29er forum would lead me to believe that we could expect a 29er from them . Maybe soon ? Just my thoughts .

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An FS longer than 100mm? Too beautiful to be true. However they decided to build a fs 584mm first instead of 622mm and are lying in the advertisement. It's like saying "living in Africa is living in America and Asia combined. New technology of America without Asian hefty culture or New green life in Africa with Asian specialities without american heftiness :D" The best of both worlds and no disadavatages.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Dude what the hell are you on? I've done some seriously heavy **** but you must be taking something special.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
their catalog says that designing a FS 29er is so complicated, and so incredibly hard that no one does it right, and they don't want to be a "me too" crappy FS 29er. i hope the release one soon. that said i love my carbon hardtail 29 from them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I dont really understand the decision to build a 650B before the 29er. 29ers have a huge selection of wheels and tires already. I have also test ridden a lot of different bikes, and I dont find the difference between 26 and 29 to be such a huge step that it is necessary to have something in between. I bet there are folks that disagree with me, and that is fine, but I don't think the 650 bikes are going to be around for the long haul.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
David CopperCrackHead, do you even use 80mm of your suspension? No, so you should not care and they certainly do not.

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
I don't know what the fuss is about. It looks like a nice, solid bike. Maybe Jamis will make a FS 29'er, maybe they won't. Nothing to lose sleep over, imo... :rolleyes:

·
Uncle
4,304 Posts
29er FS market perceived as finite

That'd be my guess, and there's a few others that are already doing them well (SC, Lenz, Fisher, etc.) With Big Mamas being blown out for less than $600, I'm not at all surprised that Jamis hasn't pitched a FS 29er. I wouldn't buy one if they did. Would you?

I like their hard tail stuff, and I'm glad they went out on a limb to produce such a sweet lookin' 650B FS bike. Would love to demo one of these some time.

Kudos, Jamis. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
ssalmons said:
I dont really understand the decision to build a 650B before the 29er. 29ers have a huge selection of wheels and tires already.
There are also lots of other companies making 29er full suspension frames. Would Jamis be 1 of 30 (maybe 50, maybe more) to choose from. Maybe they get 2% of the market. Right now there are only a few 650b frames available. The market is small, but Jamis could get 30% of it pretty easily. If the market grows they're better positioned. It might not be the bike that you'd chose, but I'll bet a 650b bike will give them more exposure and better return than a 29er. It's better for Jamis.

Plus it's easier to design and build based on their 26" platform.

·
541 Posts
tl1 said:
Looks perfectly balanced and ready to throw down. :rockon:

No need for a FS bike where I am at but that thing is killer. What is the OP talking about?

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
add me to the list

that thinks that bike is hot. I'd ride it.

Oh yeah, add me to that other list that wishes DC would...(insert word here)....

Variety is the spice of life, ******bag.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
How possibly a 25mm larger hoop can have all advantages of 63mm larger hoop?
How possibly a 25mm larger hoop can have no disadvantages of 63mm larger hoop?
Tha't a pure lie! Physically impossible.
You are complaining about marketing copy. One must always take the marketing-copy with a huge lump of salt. One rule of marketing copy is that you never hedge: no ifs, ands, buts, caveats, etc.

That said, I like the 650b size. I own one--a rigid Beasley. The wheel size seems a good match for my body size.

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
Having owned/ridden extensively all 3 wheel sizes, I have maintained for the past 2 years that a 29er front/650B rear dual suspension may be the holy grail of all designs. Although I presently own all 29ers (GF Superfly SS, Hifi and Rig), I think the 650B concept has merit and hope it's acceptance continues to grow.

Open your mind DCF, whats not to love about more bike options.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think that Jamis has made an awesome looking bike that fits into a wide open space. afaik, haro is the only other company making a stock 650b fs (the sonix 650b) and there will be a growing market for 650 bikes. when more people begin looking at them, jamis will be ready. I think that 650 is a great size for intermediate-sized riders. I'm 6'3 and a 29er is my choice...I have friends who ride that are 5'10 and may fit better on a 650. they'll still get benefits of a larger wheel and they'll get a bike that is sized just a little more perfectly. where's the harm?

there's no sense in trying to talk sense into david copperfield. it never works.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts