Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried converting one of the Jamis steel hardtails (Exile, Dakota, Dragon) to 650b? The chainstays for the 2003-7 versions of these bikes are 425mm, right around what just might work. The Exile has track ends, which might help for that extra cm of clearance. Just curious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the exile with track ends will be the only one that may work. I measured my dragon yesterday and the chain/seat stays are 359mm. Only 10mm of clearence for the quasi. That seems awful close to me.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Has anyone ordered one of these through Jensonusa? If so, do they come with the little derailleur hanger insert shown in the photo in this thread?

The 06's are $155 and the 07s $199.00 at Jenson

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I thought someone had posted they could fit a Quasi without a problem- so I'm assuming the 2.1 would work, especially if the tire is way back on the dropouts, but it would be kinda tight. Too bad, since they are such a good deal.

By the way, what is the point of a derailer hanger? You've got the correct "dropout" on the Exile already.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
phantom_309 said:
the exile with track ends will be the only one that may work. I measured my dragon yesterday and the chain/seat stays are 359mm. Only 10mm of clearence for the quasi. That seems awful close to me.
359mm (14.13") chainstays ? That doesn't seem right... :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
umarth said:
I thought someone had posted they could fit a Quasi without a problem- so I'm assuming the 2.1 would work, especially if the tire is way back on the dropouts, but it would be kinda tight. Too bad, since they are such a good deal.

By the way, what is the point of a derailer hanger? You've got the correct "dropout" on the Exile already.
that would be me who posted the jamis. I've built two different Jamis B'd hardtails now. both with Quasi. First was the Dakota elite. Tons of SS clearance. Decent CS clearance. Here's my post about it. I sold it because I decided aluminum is not my material. It's just too harsh. Climbs incredible. But, man is it harsh.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=456141&highlight=jamis+dakota

1 month ago I bought the Jensonusa 2006 jamis exile for $169. With an 18t the wheel was damn near against the front of the dropouts and I had a fair amount of clearance with the Quasi. Now i'm running a 16t. and it is perfect. Pulled the wheel back about a half inch which really gave me a clearance I was more comfortable with. The 631 steel is ALL that. I now only own steel bikes. 1 ss mountain, 1 road, 1 cyclo. The ride is just amazing. I'll post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MMcG said:
Has anyone ordered one of these through Jensonusa? If so, do they come with the little derailleur hanger insert shown in the photo in this thread?

The 06's are $155 and the 07s $199.00 at Jenson
I don't know about the 07 but my 06 is SS specific. No hanger. Not even cable stops. The 07 looks to have the Cable stops so it may come with the hanger.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
phantom_309 said:
that would be me who posted the jamis. I've built two different Jamis B'd hardtails now. both with Quasi. First was the Dakota elite. Tons of SS clearance. Decent CS clearance. Here's my post about it. I sold it because I decided aluminum is not my material. It's just too harsh. Climbs incredible. But, man is it harsh.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=456141&highlight=jamis+dakota

1 month ago I bought the Jensonusa 2006 jamis exile for $169. With an 18t the wheel was damn near against the front of the dropouts and I had a fair amount of clearance with the Quasi. Now i'm running a 16t. and it is perfect. Pulled the wheel back about a half inch which really gave me a clearance I was more comfortable with. The 631 steel is ALL that. I now only own steel bikes. 1 ss mountain, 1 road, 1 cyclo. The ride is just amazing. I'll post some pics tonight.
Ooh - this is more encouraging - hit us with a ton of pics!

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pics.

Here's the pics promised. The bike rides amazing. I really really like this one. I've had three 650 builds now. Jamis Dakota, Haro sonix lt, and the Jamis exile. I would say this is my fav so far. the Sonix was so nice, but the front d. clearance I had issues with. Anyway. Here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
plenty for my taste. I've not measured it exactly, but as you can see i've taken it out in the MUD here in KY and never had a buzz yet. A neo-moto might be to snug, but I will probably never ride one, so, quasi freakin work awesome on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you feel the geometry with a 100 mm fork. I think your frame's geometry is designed for a 80 mm fork? I have a Dragon which I think has a similar geometry. I have 26" wheels on it and 2,25" Racing Ralphs. I tried it first with a 100 mm Sid but found the front beeing quite slow and SA very slack. I think that the angles are a bit slacker in real life than the quoted 71/73,5 (in 17"). Then I tried it with a 80 mm Fox and the steering felt really good but front and BB were quite low. Then I modified the Fox to 90 mm and it was better otherwise but the steering felt odd again. Does it help to have bigger tires or does it get even worse?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.