Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm looking to get back into mountain biking again after a long break! I've been shopping around a bit, trying to find something of value for a beginners bike. I've found some cheap ones, but I am somewhat experienced and would like something with better components. It seems that for the money I'm willing to spend, both the Jamis Durango 2 and the Gary Fisher Marlin Disk offer decent components compared to other bikes in their price range. Originally I was looking at a Specialized and the salesman pointed out the Jamis, saying it was a few dollars cheaper and had better components. After shopping around a bit, I found the Marlin Disk which seems to be pretty similar. Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, I was wondering if anyone had any input, good or bad obviously. The only main difference that I have found is, the Jamis comes with hydraulic brakes and the Gary Fisher with mechanical disk brakes. The Fisher brakes are Avids, which I've read in some posts are better then some lower end hydras. I also have one other option, that is to go with a slightly lesser bike, such as the Jamis Durango 1 for instance and upgrade the components as the ones on the bike break? Thanks for any opinions, they will be greatly appreciated. (sorry if anyone is reading this a second time, I posted in the beginners corner, but didn't get any responses, also put it up under Gary Fisher) thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
go for the jamis. (biased) the hydro's are great. The Customer service from each company is very good.
Basically you should do side by side comparisons and see which one has the best cost/value for the components.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks J, side by side they seem pretty even except the Jamis has the hydros as mentioned. I have a few concerns with both bikes though. From reading a few different threads here, it seems alot of people don't think too highly of the RST forks, which the Jamis comes with. I also noticed on a few others, that people seem to speak highly of the Avid disk brakes, which the Fisher has, saying that even though they are mechanical, they perform better then some hydros. I guess I'm not really to knowledgable about Tektros on the Jamis. Originally I was looking at a Specialized due to its durability, the lbs worker then pointed out the Jamis, which does look pretty sturdy. The Fisher looked a bit thinner, though I don't know how much that would influence its strength if/when I fall and beat it up a bit. The Jamis does have the slight edge as of now due to the closeness of the shop that has it (close enough to ride to), plus 3 years of free tune-ups. The Fisher is further away and they only offer 1 of free tune ups, plus they marked up the bike about $30-40 more, though I do like the color of the Fisher...I guess I want the perfect bike for the cheap price...I just have to realize that its not going to happen..Eventually I'm going to have to settle one way or another..haha. Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.