Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I drove an hour to go to a Jamis “preferred” LBS and picked up my special ordered $50 drop outs ( I only wanted the drive side so I can have a spare hanger in case I bend it, but whatever). Holding them in my hand I knew they weren’t the right ones. They were cool about it and said I could return them if they didn’t fit.

Sure enough the dropouts for the newer frames (which are Reynolds tubing) are black My 2016 has silver dropouts and they are definitely different. Now I have to drive an hour north to return them (cause i paid cash) And apparently James told the shop that they no longer have my dropouts available. Paragon machine works’ website is not very helpful either.

Should not be this freaking hard to buy a derailer hanger for two-year-old bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Unlearn, So the black ones will still work, however they will not allow for much movement as the newer dragon slayers have a longer slot than the older ones. You would also not be using the old washer plate but the new dropouts came with new hardware. The other option is the paragon machine works drop outs. They are nearly identicle to the silver ones that you have, the only thing i'm not sure on is the axle thread pitch, you would have to contact them directly and see if they had a version with the correct pitch for your current axle. If not may need to change axle over when swapping drop outs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Chris,

Yeah I am waiting to hear back from Paragon.

I should have posted that Jamis told me they purchase their dropouts directly from Paragon, but if you go to Paragon's website, the pictures don't jive. Paragon's DR4137 looks like it will "work" but I do need a different axle as the thread pitch is different.

Paragon also has a black version (B4137) but it looks like the retention bolt spacing is the same as the DR4137.

I just want someone to say "this is what you need, this will work" instead I'm getting "I dunno, just keep buying stuff until it works"

:madman:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Chris,

Yeah I am waiting to hear back from Paragon.

I should have posted that Jamis told me they purchase their dropouts directly from Paragon, but if you go to Paragon's website, the pictures don't jive. Paragon's DR4137 looks like it will "work" but I do need a different axle as the thread pitch is different.

Paragon also has a black version (B4137) but it looks like the retention bolt spacing is the same as the DR4137.

I just want someone to say "this is what you need, this will work" instead I'm getting "I dunno, just keep buying stuff until it works"

:madman:
Unlearn, The ones that you got from Jamis do work, they just dont allow for the same amount of slide, only about 10mm now. The paragon ones will work, but you have to see if they have a thread pitch that matches or youll have to get a differnt axle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone transformed their Dragonslayer into a xc race rig? I recently swapped frames and an running the new Jamis Portal but am thinking of a long term build to make my DS a xc race rig with 100mm front travel and lightweight components. I know the base frame is heavy as it's steel but that's one of the reasons I like it. Any feedback is great. For what it's worth it will become a 29er during this transformation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i've run 29x2.2 tires with a high singlespeed ratio (32x16) for some xc and cx races, which was too low of a gear for cross, but very fast on the xc races. running ss and smaller tires saves weight for sure. i still like to have the stem stacked at the top of the steer tube for more leverage while pedaling out of the saddle. dropping down to a 100mm fork might be alright since the head angle is already slacker than your typical xc race rig

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've run 29x2.2 tires with a high singlespeed ratio (32x16) for some xc and cx races, which was too low of a gear for cross, but very fast on the xc races. running ss and smaller tires saves weight for sure. i still like to have the stem stacked at the top of the steer tube for more leverage while pedaling out of the saddle. dropping down to a 100mm fork might be alright since the head angle is already slacker than your typical xc race rig
That was my thought with going 100mm front travel is to steepen the head angle to increase agility steering. I'm looking at saving for a fox step cast fork to shave weight and will go 1x11 on it to allow for sharing of wheels from my portal. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had my mind all made up on a '19 S2, but when I went to check an '18 out instore they had a '17 Pro on the floor for only $200 more. After sleeping on it I pulled the trigger today, picking it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2016 Dragonslayer 27,5" (the blue one).
Is it correct that you can only use a dropper with external routing on that model?

Thanks, Remon

·
Registered
248 Posts
Email Jamis customer service. I've asked them questions a few times and it's never taken more than 48 hours to get a response.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Anyone on a 130mm or 140mm fork? How's it working out?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Factory spec is 120mm. the rule of thumb for travel increases is to not exceed 20mm of axle to crown measurment. The rock shox Recon RL 29er on the 2018 is 530mm.
That's fine and dandy but I'm looking for people with experience actually running with a 130 or 140 fork.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2016 Dragonslayer 27,5" (the blue one).
Is it correct that you can only use a dropper with external routing on that model?

Thanks, Remon
If you have one, I'd think you'd know if there's a hole in the tube for the hose/cable better than us who don't?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts