Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Co Springs
2,370 Posts
What size would I be on the Dragonslayer? I'm 5'10" 33" inseam.
I'm that size but just a shade closer to 32" , went to ride a med and lg in all test rides.
Either works for me on some brands but I'd say lean to a large if in doubt. Years ago the trend was most leaning to the smaller cockpit and sizing but newer frame angles and trends change that.

I think if I was slugging away at long commutes or high mile bike packing trips, I'd favor the large in my case but it's not a Jamis. Each has it's own personality and 'sit'. Some bikes differ very little on med to lg and in all cases (as/if needed), the adjustment criteria is used to fine tune such as seat rail, stem length or angle etc.... A good LBS can assist to show you how either size would better fit with those variables and one will probably require less adjustment and be a closer 'real' fit. I felt good on a medium Marin and the seat post wasn't at an extreme extension, reach felt right etc.... I'm 56 and think that played a part. If I were more aggressive in high spirited riding and speed, I'd have went to the large. The Jamis DS was high on my list of 2 or three bikes to choose from.

·
Co Springs
2,370 Posts
What size do you have?
I felt good on a medium Marin and the seat post wasn't at an extreme extension, reach felt right etc.... I'm 56 and think that played a part. If I were more aggressive in high spirited riding and speed, I'd have went to the large. The Jamis DS was high on my list of 2 or three bikes to choose from.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Anyone got an XL frame?
And if so hoe does it fit? I am 6' 3" with long arms and I am afraid that the XL reach might be a bit tight.
Ditto. I really dig the looks of the Dragonslayer, but I'm also 6'3" and wonder about the reach (?).

·
Co Springs
2,370 Posts
So the frame/ geo specs , dimensions don't tell what you need to know ?
The bike you are on now has a spec with the variable of stem/handlebar set up but I don't see what's missing. Maybe just a test ride ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
So the frame/ geo specs , dimensions don't tell what you need to know ?
The bike you are on now has a spec with the variable of stem/handlebar set up but I don't see what's missing. Maybe just a test ride ?
Yeah, I just need a test ride to know for sure

·
Co Springs
2,370 Posts
I think you guys might be on to something.
The reach numbers for that bike appear pretty short. Look at Marin Pine MTN line to compare frame dimensions just for the hell of it.
I was hot on the heels of a Dragon or Dragon sport for a while. No real dealer support or Jamis LBS nearby so I ended up with a Marin PM1. It was $200 off at the time and the specs look like the same ballpark.
Been happy on a steel 27.5 plus h/t. !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly I just needed a steel frame, so I decided to go with the 2017 Ragley Big Wig (XL). There is no doubt that a XL Big Wig frame will fit a 6'3" rider. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ended up with a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. If I was going to do bike packing the Jamis would have been optimal. I love the Pedalhead though

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just recently got an S2 dragonslayer and am very happy with it so far. No in depth reviews at this time, but first couple of rides felt good.

Regarding the 29er clearance. I have my dropouts set around 5mm back from the shortest position (so roughly 440mm chainstay length), this is fine to accommodate the stock 40mm rims and 3" WTB tyres. I swapped in a 29" wheel with a 2.3 tyre and there was around 8mm clearance at the closest point on the frame. If you consider that I still have another 10mm of sliding dropout to use if necessary then I'd say that a 29" wheel with a 2.5 should be fine, you might even be able to go 2.6.

For my own question, I'm just wondering whats the max travel you can put on the front end? The Karate Monkey, which I also had under consideration, can take a 140mm fork and I don't even think it is reinforced around the headtube like the Dragon slayer is.

·
Co Springs
2,370 Posts
...this bad a$$ bike doesn't get nearly enough love on here. We're loving ours
Bike packing 101 has lots of reviews and good shouts.
I'm happy with my turn out on a Marin Pine but it would have been sealed if Jamis had stronger support in my area. Always liked the simple graphics and colors they did year after year.

:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
For my own question, I'm just wondering whats the max travel you can put on the front end? The Karate Monkey, which I also had under consideration, can take a 140mm fork and I don't even think it is reinforced around the headtube like the Dragon slayer is.
Though I am quite content with the stock 120 mm I am also interested in this from a frame science standpoint.

Not only what you say, but I don’t believe the KM is even tapered. On the other hand, the dragon slayer is slacker to begin with.

If I were a betting man I’d say 140 mm is no problem. But good luck getting an answer out of the elusive Jamis team.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there anyone who can speak to question 1? I just got a 2016 Slayer used and the hanger/dropout needs to be replaced.

A bit late to the thread, had some questions about the Dragon Slayer.

1. The dropouts look exact/very similar to the Sliding Dropouts from Paragon Machine Works. Are these compatible to fit on the Dragon Slayer frame (same mounting dimensions)? Or does Jamis produce a proprietary adjustable dropouts (that just happen to look exact like PMW)? Does the frame come with removable dropout inserts for running no hanger SS/QR 135 mm/TA 142 mm, or is the only dropout option for Boost 148 mm spacing?
  2. What is the exact weight for the frameset only (Size 17 in)? Will Jamis be offering a frameset-only option in 2017 or near future?
  3. What is the recommended A-C length for running a rigid fork? Looking at the geometry and stock 120mm travel fork, looks like a rigid fork with A-C length of 483-490 mm is optimal.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jamis Does have replacement drop outs / rear derailleur hanger sets. They come with both sides. Their part number is 65-1000. Any Jamis dealer can get them for you. Not really sure if the paragon machine works will work on that frame, does look similar but don't know if dimensions are the same.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts