Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with rear wheel coming out of drop-outs on Jamis Dakota 29er's?

I bought my Jamis a year ago and have been upgrading components and for most part have loved it... I put my new wheelset on this year and have had nothing but problems since. Twice, I have had the rear wheel come out of the drop-outs and bring me to a dead stop... Not a pretty picture. I also changed my skewers this year to salsa (no not ti) but had them on old wheelset as well.

LBS changed skewer but have continued to have slipping.... Anyway, pretty frustrated as I am watching my new 1,000.00 wheelset get slammed into frame and have bent my freaking rotor).

I have since been calling other bike shops to look for alternative answers. In looking at the frame, the paint has been removed (skewer removing paint when sliding out) along both sides of the drop-out but the paint is still at end of drop-out (bottom of U) I have started to sand the paint completely off the frame drop-outs. I rode this past weekend with no problems, but have been afraid to hammer on it again.

1st time the wheel came out I was in a parking lot doing wheelies and came to dead stop and crashed.... skrewed up my new seat & bent my rotor

2nd time going up steep hill and hammering on it... got to top of hill bike stopped and I hit a tree... %[email protected]#$%! I did shift at base of hill but have never had wheel come out under load. I was surprised this happened again as the skewer was very tight

Only other thing I changed is cassette from 32 to 34 tooth cassette? I guess additional torque can add to problem? Is it possible to torque on the bike enough to pull the wheel out?

I am at end of my rope, not enjoying riding! LBS has been helpful but thought it was skewer? has anyone had problems with Salsa skewers? I am not using ti skewers
LBS is checking into other options, just wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Bike spec's
Jamis Dakota 29er
XTR/XT Drive train
Juicy 7 brakes
Stans XTR rims/Chris King Hubs
Sram X0 cassette
Reba fork w/pop lock

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This may be a stupid question... but did you make sure to get the serrated nut on the skewer?

Also sounds dumb... but check to make sure that the frame isn't bent outward at the dropout... this could cause the quick release to be tight to the frame and still not grab the side of the hub as tightly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
MMcG said:
Ask your LBS to get you a set of Shimano XT skewers and see if those help/work.

IMO the Shimano Skewers are the best aside from going to bolt on.
I second this recommendation. External cam skewers like Salsa don't ever grab as well as quality internal cam skewers like those made by Shimano, Campy, and Mavic. I echo MMcG's recommendation that Shimano skewers are the best. I had a similar problem on my road bike, solved by switching my Salsa's out for some Dura Ace QR's.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I may be completely wrong but you mentioned that the problem started when you fitted a new wheel but used the same skewer. I would say it is not a problem with the skewer.

Have you checked the extension of the actual axle out of the hub. It should not extend past the outer edge of the drop out. If is does, even slightly, you will not be able to tighten the skewer against the frame. It will tighten up against the axle and even though the skewer feels tight, it is not holding against the frame.

Ronnie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.