Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm really leaning toward a 29er. I'm trying to keep the price around $1000 and have checked out the 08 GF Cobia which I really like and know has a good reputation. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Jamis Dakota 29ers??? I might be able to get an 07 for a good price and wanted some feedback.

Thanks for you help.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
If you can get the Jamis for near $1000, it out-specs the Fisher with nicer componentry. Jamis frame may be a bit stronger, but I would bet that the bike weighs a little more. Cobia has the G2 geometry that so many seem to like... Jamis has upgraded derailleur systems, brakes, and a few other parts (Easton vs. Bontrager, etc.... Your call on that!). Looks like the same fork and the Maxxis tires on the Jamis would get my vote. Also, Jamis comes with Shimano clipless pedals. The '08 Jamis has an upgraded spec, but lists closer to $1400 (Reba Race fork, etc...). I would do as I always recommend - ride both of them and get the one that feels the best! Reply back with what you bought and why! Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
rooster00 said:
I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm really leaning toward a 29er. I'm trying to keep the price around $1000 and have checked out the 08 GF Cobia which I really like and know has a good reputation. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Jamis Dakota 29ers??? I might be able to get an 07 for a good price and wanted some feedback.

Thanks for you help.
This guy could tell you all about his.

They do have an excellent warranty policy though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
3 frames in a year? I dunno, maybe he's riding xc bikes like ones designed to take bigger hits and drops. Sure, all the frames did break and that's shitty, but this problem isn't epidemic with Jamis. My point is just to not necessarily blame the brand in this case. I think he might be riding these bikes outside of what they were designed for.

What do I know, though? The Jamis QC might be crap. It just seems statistically waaay out there that this keeps happening to the same guy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Owned my Jamis Dakota 29er Since Feb 07

Dude, go with the Dakota. I've had mine for almost a year now. I bought mine for 1200 total cost from bicycle bananas (www.bicycleblowout.com). Quick plug for them, they shipped to an APO (military address) in Turkey. Anyway, you'll probably end up swapping out the handle bars since they're pretty narrow, but other than that I swapped stuff out mostly due to prefference. I swapped 'em for the Sette carbon risers, which we put next to my buddy's monkey lites (easton) and they were virtually exactly the same, actually they were lighter. The juicy 3's will do the trick, but I got a killer deal on some 7's. As for the shimano shifters, mine were a bit stiff and I trashed the rear deurailer, so I swapped both for some X-9s. The pedals are fine for clipless, but again out of preference, I switched for some platform Zu-Zu's. As for the shock, it may not be the reba, but the Tora has worked awesome for me. As a matter of fact yesterday was the first time I added air and I ride everyday to an from work, plus once or twice a week on some pretty rough trails. The rims and hubs have given me no problems and the Ignitors are still in great shape despite the road miles. They roll over just about everything and are real grippy too. The total weight with my current set-up is about 32-34lbs.

The trails out here in Turkey are not very forgiving and the bike has taken everything I've thrown at it and smiled, to include a couple of wrecks, and dare I say and OTB experiance or 2 (yes its possible, not easy, but possible to go OTB on a 29er). If you do go with the Dakota, you'll be very pleased:thumbsup: .

·
Registered
140 Posts
No, I do not ride my XC bikes outside their limits. Actually the Dakota they sent me to ride while the new Exile frames where being developed only lasted less than a dozen rides. A few rides in Colorado plus a few around my home state, Missouri. I also had an Exile frame break within 20 rides. I NEVER took them off drops bigger than a foot or two, and I'm not that big of a fellow. I push 180 on a good day. I do however ride hard, I don't go out to just ride around. With that being said all these bikes should have been able to handle what I threw at them, but obviously they didn't.

Do what you want man, but I got lucky. When the front of that bike snapped off I only had a nasty bite on my tongue, and some cuts and bruises. Coulda been alot worse. But they do have good warranties so at least they'll replace the bikes. BTW, I'm not the only one I know personally who's broke a Jamis 29r.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
But at three frames in a year, you DO have to admit your a statistical anomaly! :) t is good to see Jamis sticking by you though.

·
Mtbr
316 Posts
Based on that, maybe you should go with the Cobia. I don't think there's any chance of that frame braking, and the components are pretty good. Also, it has the new G2.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't be too quick to blame g-wiz for his bike failures. The break he pictured is a fatigue failure in the head tube weld of a new bike. The frame wasn't heat treated properly, and his experience may not be unusual. I know a fairly light weight xc rider that broke a new Exile in the same place.

·
Registered
156 Posts
g-wiz said:
No, I do not ride my XC bikes outside their limits. Actually the Dakota they sent me to ride while the new Exile frames where being developed only lasted less than a dozen rides. A few rides in Colorado plus a few around my home state, Missouri. I also had an Exile frame break within 20 rides. I NEVER took them off drops bigger than a foot or two, and I'm not that big of a fellow. I push 180 on a good day. I do however ride hard, I don't go out to just ride around. With that being said all these bikes should have been able to handle what I threw at them, but obviously they didn't.

Do what you want man, but I got lucky. When the front of that bike snapped off I only had a nasty bite on my tongue, and some cuts and bruises. Coulda been alot worse. But they do have good warranties so at least they'll replace the bikes. BTW, I'm not the only one I know personally who's broke a Jamis 29r.
I hear ya. Just because it's improbable that three frames failed under you due to QC reasons that doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm glad you made it out of those crashes w/out serious injury and hopefully Jamis takes a really hard look at what's going on here.

Do any of the Jamis reps post on MTBR?

·
Banned
960 Posts
g-wiz..how did the stock rigid fork hold up..I use the jamis 29er forks on my fisher x cal and niner,now I'm getting a bit worried
thx d

·
Registered
140 Posts
You bring up the point of a poor welding job. This was in fact the same place that all three broke in, and many other builders have pointed out the same fact. Statistical anomaly maybe, but I have to believe that this has happend to others as well. I am by no means trying to put Jamis down, but if you do in fact buy one, I suggest having a back up bike just in case. That and check it often. I offer this advice to the fellow with the Dakota above.

As far as the stock fork goes it never "broke." On the first bike, the downtube broke free from the headtube. This caused the fork to bend a bit. After recieving the next frame I decided to put a White Bros suspension fork on it, hoping that it would relieve some stress in that area. I caught the second failure when it was just cracked. So I have no reason to believe the fork has any problem, just the head tube junction on these bikes. Once again, if you own a 07 Exile or Dakota, check it often, you might be glad you did!

·
Banned
960 Posts
g-wix..thx for the update,I checked my fork and the quailty of welds look pretty good.You may want to contact jamis and just ask for a full refund

·
Registered
294 Posts
2008 Exile

Hey G-Wiz
I see that the 2008 Exile frames have a new downtube shape.
I think they are trying to strengthen the front end.
Aesthetically it ruins the skinny-tube diamond frame look,
but hopefully less frame failures.
You know the Dragon is made from the Reynolds 853 tube set,
which is much stronger then 631 (Exile).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ya, they actually changed the front end on both the Exile and the Dakota for the 2008 models. The 07 Dakota already had a head tube gusset, but the Exile didn't. For 08 the Exile gets the new gusset and changes have also been made for the Dakota.

The Dragon should be a great bike, I know several people who ride and race the smaller wheel version and love them. I'd be interested to see what experiences people are having with that bike along with the new Dakota and Exile. I hope that Jamis has ironed out all the problems with the front end with the new years models. I loved the bikes other than the fact they kept breaking. I suspect the main reason for the failures was that these where both first year models and not a whole lot of testing was done. I could be wrong but I still think the problems could have been avoided. Has anyone else had any experience with first year models having problems with other brands? I was going to get the new 08 Stumpjumper HT by Specialized but had to opt out of buying it due to some unexpected issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dragon 29

I just ordered the Dragon 29 frameset.
Going to build it rigid to start. Not sure about what fork yet,
Jamis would not sell me the rigid Exile fork.
axle to crown is 468mm.
Frame weighs 4.9 lbs same as various other "house branded"
853 alloy niners (Zion comes to mind)

·
Banned
960 Posts
axel to crown on the exile is 497,remember its speced off a 100 mm fork not a 80mm,I put one on my fisher last week,very cool...

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's interesting... Dragon is speced for a 100mm fork also.
Not sure why they could not sell me the fork, but they did say that they where just about out of 19'' frames.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts