Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-

I'm a roadie that is looking to buy a FS mountain bike. I tested out a Kona Kikapu today and thought it was really nice. I have a chance to purchase a used 2003 Jamis Dakar XC Comp for $700 but am unsure about some of the changes they have made. These are the so called "upgrades" made to this bike: There is an upgraded SID fork and Mavic X517 Rims with Onyx Hubs, and Specialized Roll tires. Other than that it looks stock. I have researched this and have found that a lot of people don't like SID forks and the reviews of the stock forks sounded much better. Also I have read some pretty bad reviews of Onyx Hubs as well. I'm new to this and want a good deal but don't want to get burned. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Why don't you post a question aobut the wheels and tires in the wheels and tires forum, might get better results. Could do the same for the Sid in Talk about Shocks. Sid name has been around a long time, the fork has been through a lot of changes. Make sure you're looking at reviews for the same model year that's on the bike. From what I've read they've improved quite a bit in recent years. But it is what it is...lightweight, designed for XC riding/racing. If you want to do big drops, probably not the fork for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.