Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5' 9.5" and have a 31" inseam. I am looking at buying a Jamis Dakar XC and I am not quite sure what size frame I should get. Debating between the 17"' and 19" models. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I am almost the exact same size as you and I prefer a 17/17.5" frame in most every type of bike.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm also 5' 9.5" and ride a 19 Dakar XC . I typically ride 18" - 19.5" mtn bike frames. 17" would be too small for my preferences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
walshmike said:
Do not by Jamis Dakar series bikes. It will break, believe me!:madman:
What is bad about this particular series of bikes? If it is something that can be easily upgraded or fixed, I am willing to do that.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
There have been some chainstay failures. I'm guessing walshmike experienced one.
To be honest, when you start researching frames, forks, or whatever, you will almost always find people that had failures.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'v had 4 Dakars since my 1997 Dakar Pro. All were size large. I'm 5'- 9.5". Pants are 32 inseam. I find the Meds all to small. Find a bike that fits you well and measure the top tube length-then look for that size top tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Some" chainstay failures is a big understatement. There have been a lot. I've seen three others plus mine. I would say that is about 50% of the Jamis Dakar XAM2's in this area. (Squamish-Whistler) judging by how many I see on the trails. That seems pretty high to me in terms of frame failures. It's been three months and still no word from Jamis. I said I would even pay for the part.Still nothing. You want to buy a Jamis-go right on ahead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What are some other bikes I could look at in the price range of 500-700 dollars? I was able to find the 08' Jamis Dakar for $600 on Jenson USA (model I was going to buy). The 09' is also available for $640. I've heard that the 09' model of this bike has had significantly less frame failures than the 08', and will probably be purchasing the 09' model.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The 08 and 09 Dakar XC frames look identical. I've had several Dakar Sport frames (very close to the Dakar XC) over the past 3 years and not one failure. All are used by my friends today since i now use my 5" Dakar XLT so I sold the Sports. I'm 6'0 and approx 240 and use to race motocross and Jetski's. As others have said, the 08 and some 09 Parkers and XAMs have had failures, but they have similar design dropout that differs from the Dakar XC. It's a pretty safe bet used within it's limits. Not afreeride park bike, but pretty tough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help everybody. I have one last question before I order my bike (still going to get the 08' Dakar XC). According to the pdf file for the dakar xc bikes, the 19" bike size has a center of bottom bracket to top of top tube length of 17.44". Would this technically make this bike a 17.44" frame? If that is the case, I will definitely get the 19", as the 17" would be too small.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Most mtn bikes these days measure from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube (where the seat clamp is). So your Dakar 19" is 19" by this standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts