Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a short(er) travel FS/XC frame and I'd like to spend $600 or less. Looking for something that's raceable and good for all-day rides - I don't need a burly, big-hit frame. So far, I've found a new '05 Jamis Dakar XC Expert frame (4" travel, Float R AVA shock, carbon seat stays) for $600 and a used '04 Fuel 95 frame with a Float RP3. I will be running a 100mm Reba fork on whatever frame I buy. The Fuel is designed around an 80mm fork, and the Jamis is new and is designed around a 100mm fork. I'm leaning towards the Jamis, but I'm unsure as to their reliability. Opinions?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have an 04' Jamis Dakar pro that I built up from a frame this last spring, and rode this season. Im really impressed with the quality of this frame, its absolutly bomber, not the lightest xc frame but very durable. The handling is exceptional on tight singletrack, which imho is the outstanding charictaristic of this frame. This was my first full suspension bike, and after half the season I thought I wanted a 5" rig so I bought an 05' Rocky Mountain Slayer and after like 3 weeks of trying to adjust to the slayer I ended up ebaying it and switching back to my Jamis, as it performed better in almost every reguard including rocky technical singletrack where I should have been better off with more travel.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
consider the trek

I would look at the Trek. Only on this condition. You want to build up a xc race bike. That fram is defintaly a plus. Also you benifit in this regard. The fuel in 04 came with a weack rock shox rear shock. Unfortunatly Rock Shox has never really caught on to the rear suspension industry/market. Getting that Fox shock is a definate plus. Plus it will balance nicley with the race tunable Reba.
All of this is considering that you want to race and want the most efficient rig you can buy/afford. If you plan on trail riding more, from what I have herd the Jamis might be a little more fun. But consider the trek more, they have a good waranty on there frame and they are built in the good old U.S. Let us all know what you end up buying, good luck.

P.S. The Jamis frame is prett heavy to race xc.

GOAT

. The Fuel is designed around an 80mm fork, and the Jamis is new and is designed around a 100mm fork. I'm leaning towards the Jamis, but I'm unsure as to their reliability. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jamis

goat said:
I would look at the Trek. Only on this condition. You want to build up a xc race bike. That fram is defintaly a plus. Also you benifit in this regard. The fuel in 04 came with a weack rock shox rear shock. Unfortunatly Rock Shox has never really caught on to the rear suspension industry/market. Getting that Fox shock is a definate plus. Plus it will balance nicley with the race tunable Reba.
All of this is considering that you want to race and want the most efficient rig you can buy/afford. If you plan on trail riding more, from what I have herd the Jamis might be a little more fun. But consider the trek more, they have a good waranty on there frame and they are built in the good old U.S. Let us all know what you end up buying, good luck.

P.S. The Jamis frame is prett heavy to race xc.

GOAT
Thanks for the replies, you guys. I ended up going with the Jamis. First, I really wanted a frame designed around a 100mm fork - I'm using the Reba on a frame designed for an 80mm fork and it does affect the handling. Second, the Jamis is brand new and under warranty. My experience with bike/frame warranties is that they are not transferrable, and therefore the Trek would truly have been caveat emptor. If the Trek had been even $100 cheaper, the decision would have been harder. Third, I know the Jamis geometry will fit me very well - I've got a Jamis Dragon hardtail frame that fits. Finally, while I may race this frame, but likely it will pull general XC duty - my racing career pretty much ended after last year. Plus, from what I've read, people who do race the Dakota say that they don't really notice the weight when racing it. I haven't received the frame yet, but it is on the way. Should build up very nicely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that Jamis has gotten a bad rap in the past because of poorly designed chain stays and weak customer service. They've at least improved the bike. Everything from 04 on has beefier stays. And they seem to support those that have broken their older frames.

Earthpig said:
Thanks for the replies, you guys. I ended up going with the Jamis. First, I really wanted a frame designed around a 100mm fork - I'm using the Reba on a frame designed for an 80mm fork and it does affect the handling. Second, the Jamis is brand new and under warranty. My experience with bike/frame warranties is that they are not transferrable, and therefore the Trek would truly have been caveat emptor. If the Trek had been even $100 cheaper, the decision would have been harder. Third, I know the Jamis geometry will fit me very well - I've got a Jamis Dragon hardtail frame that fits. Finally, while I may race this frame, but likely it will pull general XC duty - my racing career pretty much ended after last year. Plus, from what I've read, people who do race the Dakota say that they don't really notice the weight when racing it. I haven't received the frame yet, but it is on the way. Should build up very nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.