Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just post in the women post but I need all the feedback that I can.
My girlfriend want to get a new full suspension bike. Shes been riding a hardtail and now she want to get to comfortness of a fully. So the chances are these:

1) Get a $1700 Juliana Dxc (full deore plus XT rd, lx fd, mavic xm117 rims and rockshox Tora air and 5th element air shock and truvativ cockpit) BRAND NEW BIKE

2) 2004 Jamis Dakar frame, 2004 4'' Manitou Black, anything deore and XT rd, Fox 4'' Float R and mavic 717 rims and easton cockpit. $1300 BRAND NEW AVERYTHING (built by my own).

IM PRETTY SURE THE 2 OPTIONS WEIGHTS AROUND 29-30 POUNDS
WICH ONE IS THE BEST OPTION FOR MY GIRLFRIEND? IS THE FEMALE GEOMETRY WORTH IT?, THE BIKE FEELING IS MUCH BETTER IN THE JULIANA?

PLEASE GIRLS AND BOYS GIVE ME ALL YOU OPINIONS.
THANKS

pt: I have a SC Bullit that's why the Juliana was my first option until I got the Jamis deal.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
On your list go with the SC because of the better spec. You should take her to a coupple shops that cary womans bikes to test ride. Some women actually prefer the standard bike fit over the specific sizing. Also check out the geometry on the Ibex Asta it is almost a inbetween sized frame, very sweet handeling. :D

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I think that her best option is to try both bikes if possible. That way she could decide how both feel. Don't get too stuck into the 'she needs a women specific design', since it depends on her body proportions.

Now, this is my .02.

If money wasn't a big deal (meaning that you can afford anyone of those without having to go hungry for a month or so), I would look first at the SC. Several reasons:

1. It's a newer year.
2. I think it will probably be lighter (Jamis are great bikes, but they're not that lightweight).
3. You can decide between the Juliana or Superlight (which are pretty much the same bike except for a different top tube length).
4. I hear good things about them :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
This spring I built up a Dakar XC Comp frame I purchased on ebay, and I'm very happy about it. On a budget, it's a fabulous deal.

So far the total cost is 900 CDN, including all shipping charges, and all I have left to add is a decent crank. I figure the old cranks I have on there will last for this season at least.

Otherwise:
Rock Shox Duke XC
XTR Disc hubs built to Vuelta XC Rims
SRAM Attack Shifters
XTR Rear Derailleur
Deore Front Derailleur
Race Face stem
Avid BB7 Disc brakes.

I also recently took the girlfriend bike shopping for an entry level bike and ended up with a Devinci. It's a nice little bike, but I have to say that buying a bike already built isn't nearly as much fun as building it yourself.

It weighs in just over 30 lbs.

The real question should be, would you score more points with a bike you built with love or would you be better off spending that time with the vacuum?

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Santa Cruz Juliana (and Superlight too) are much cheaper if you but them as complete instead of build kit. On the web site
http://www.santacruzbikes.com/juliana/index.php?builder=1
click on "Completes" and select "D XC". The price is $1384 and dealer should be able to order those models. BTW, complete "R XC" is $1984. Of course, bike shops would love to sell you build kit to show "added value" when they assemble the bike, so be firm and request the complete bike. Web site prices are MSRP and LBS will still make decent money on complete bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.