Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a dealer who is willing to sell me a 2004 19" Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 frameset for $450.

He also has a 2004 18.5" Giant VT framset going for $450.

I have always wanted a VT, they are great frames, adjustable travel from 5" to 5.7", decently light, fairly stout, etc. On the other hand, the Jamis XLT 1.0 is a great frame.

Cruising the Jamis forum I have noticed that cracked rear stays seem to be rather common on the 2003 models. To defend Jamis, they have waranteed frames and "fixed" the problem on the 2004 model. I have also read that the paint seems to chip off rather easily on the Jamis.

Anyone have any input? I know fit is a big issue, but I fit both frames very well.

Thanks,
-Danimal

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
For Durability choose the Giant.

Danimal said:
I have found a dealer who is willing to sell me a 2004 19" Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 frameset for $450.

He also has a 2004 18.5" Giant VT framset going for $450.

I have always wanted a VT, they are great frames, adjustable travel from 5" to 5.7", decently light, fairly stout, etc. On the other hand, the Jamis XLT 1.0 is a great frame.

Cruising the Jamis forum I have noticed that cracked rear stays seem to be rather common on the 2003 models. To defend Jamis, they have waranteed frames and "fixed" the problem on the 2004 model. I have also read that the paint seems to chip off rather easily on the Jamis.

Anyone have any input? I know fit is a big issue, but I fit both frames very well.

Thanks,
-Danimal
If the Giant fits you fine then go with the VT. It is a more solid bike than the Jamis. Jamis has an issue with broken frames and it is apparent when you go to the Jamis section on this site.

The Giant has more versatility with travel from 5-5.7" also.

You will be able to abuse the Giant more than the XLT which goes a long way with me. Even if Jamis has a good warranty, do you really want to be worrying about breaking the frame when you are on a rough ride? Durability has always been an issue with Jamis bikes, regardless of the year of the bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.