121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
FR 160 and 259 are snowmobile trails and often impassable once the snow hits

·
Snow Dog
3,732 Posts
There is 'dispersed camping' - that is primitive roadside camping with no facilities - just south of Jake's Rocks along FR 160 & FR 259. These are free sites that are open all year long. The trails cut right by a couple of them so you can ride right from the camp site.

Good luck.
Nearby Chapman State Park offers camping. It's about a 20 minute drive from the park to the trailhead at the top of the ridge. Stayed there last year when riding Jake's Rocks. Nice park. This year they have drained the small lake down inside the park to perform dam repairs, so park is not as scenic as usual, and parts are an active work zone. Just FYI if you're considering this spot.
FR 160 and 259 are snowmobile trails and often impassable once the snow hits
I will definitely consider all of this. I don't mind primitive camping so that would not be an issue. Also interesting to know about the snowmobile trail roads/routes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can download a map of the snowmobile trails on the Allegheny National Forest website

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
The new trail coming online soon at Jake's Rocks - Ursus - looks like it's the real thing. Can't wait to get back out there.

https://www.facebook.com/jakeswitch...dwzCxx4am0Ivu-UgwnYMCynwJzTGxJQqHVqrEZ_V5Yu8A
Rode it today Steve. That alone was worth the drive. Just dont do it on a rigid fatbike like I did. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight lol.

I did the main loop back to the lot then rode Coal Knob to Elijah then left on Ursus the climbed out on Dewdrop. Id like to hit Dewdrop in the downhill direction next time but just ran out of legs today. Great job on that guys. I'm destroyed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Plan to ride there this Monday morning. What's the best trailhead to park at? Are these trails bi-directional? Looking for advice on best flow direction to hit all the good downhills. What are the most technical trails with fun features? The plan is to ride everything in one day but would like to ride trails with best flow..

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only trail that is directional is Black Snake. Definitely ride Black Snake and Ursus down. Pretty much every trail has advanced options if you are looking for them. I recommend Ohi-yo Way and Coal Knob north to south, Long House and Tuttle Town south to north. Other than Black snake which is directional and Ohi-Yo way which is rocky and narrow, all the trails flow and are fun in either direction.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Snowy night ride

TAJR_snow.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ursus is back open after some rock armoring and a short reroute. Some new trail by Dew Drop campground will be opening soon.

Reactions: jeffw-13

·
Registered
300 Posts
This trail area all sounds great, my wife and I will be taking our annual mountain bike vacation there this summer! Any tips on these trails or other "must ride trails" in that area are welcome, thanks in advance!

·
Hermit
990 Posts
All the Jake's Rocks trails are good, but Blacksnake & Devils Drop are advanced downhill trails, and can be pretty tough (too tough for me).

There are some old school trails across the reservoir to the east, at Rimrock. The Rimrock/Morrison trail system is two rough loops that drop to the lake and then come back up. Tough riding, for sure.

Tanbark Trail is the other trail in Allegheny National Forest that is open to mountain bikes. Some of it is very, very rocky...

Harris Hill Extension Forest is up across the NY state line, near Ellington, and has a great trail system. Unfortunately there is some timber harvesting going on there this summer, so about half of the trails are off limits.

Good luck.

Steve Z

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tanbark is a good old school single track.. There are a couple of sections with slippery rocks that should be walked. Morrison is difficult. I haven't been out since last summer and there were multiple downed trees and sections getting grown in. There is a loop in Scandia that goes to an overlook over the Kinzua Dam (see Trailforks) and the Rocky Gap ATV trails.
Ellicotville NY has lots of nice single track above the Holiday Valley ski resort. The Westside Overland trail in Panama NY has some narrow, challenging single track.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the replies for Jakes Rocks and surrounding areas, I have made note of them. We did print out a map for Jakes Rocks and a couple maps for some other areas around in the vicinity, Buzzard Swamp and Bush Hollow/Mill Creek. We have to see how close they are in relation to where we re staying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just rode Jake's on Friday.... What a great ride! New trails Elijah and Ursus are awesome! Tons of fun. Trails were in really great shape even after a few storms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 169 Posts