Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Having spent the summer blowing out spokes on my Jamis Satellite road bike I would recommend the Jake. Better shifting (Tiagra instead of Sora), and stiffer rims with bigger tires. Of course I weigh 235lbs so I'm a little harder on the bike. Plus a cyclocrosser is easier to set up with fenders, or take on gravel roads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cant go wrong with either, or maybe a sutra too!

I love my Honky Tonk and love the ride of steel. I use it to ride with my buddies, cruise dirt road and pull my son on the add a bike too. The new top end one comes with disc brakes too! I checked out the jakes but was bettween sizes! Here's my ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tire clearance photos 28c's

Here are the photos I took, hope they help. I was on the fence my self, but I was bettween sizes on the jakes. They run big and the honky tonks run small. Honky Tonks require long reach brakes though, so be sure to factor that in on your build. I got mine on ebay from Rocky Mountain Cyclery for cheap $60 or so. Peace and happy shoppin'

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great pics! well, due to recent development of events, i will probably have to postpone buying an option for the road for now, and get by with what i have.. maybe something steel in cross flavor comes along in future.. thx for advices anyway

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I had the same dilemma last year.

I went Jake and I'm 240+gear. I did the Ride to Conquer Cancer on it this year (114miles, a vertical mile of climb and had an additional 40lbs of gear in the panniers because I also volunteered as medical crew) and it did it all well. I had 700x23's on it, but I'm building it up a bit more like a clyde Cx / touring bike for this year.

The 'Tonk was nice, but it is definitely a road bike. The Jake is able to do some light off-roading too and has proven itself to me in the snow: (pardon the crappy cell pic...snow is up to the bb / hubs)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cool photo!

Nice to see you riding in the snow on the jake! I have been on some dirt roads with the honky tonk, but that's as far as I can go! enjoy!

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
jfn3 said:
Nice to see you riding in the snow on the jake! I have been on some dirt roads with the honky tonk, but that's as far as I can go! enjoy!
Hehehe...only bad thing about snow riding with drop bars is if you hit the deep stuff (well beyond the front hub) you tend to get tangled in the drops if you're used to a flat bar machine ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.