Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which to go with...

Seems I can always find Jagwire easily and on sale and I like their end bits better than Shimano.

But, in the past I've had issues with the diameter of the housing with Jagwire stuff. Seems too fat for certain applications. Especially with internal routing stuff. Its often too fat to slip through the end grommets and such.

Is Jagwire still the same way? Do they have a narrow/thinner option?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Jagwire shift housing is the same dia as Shimano etc. Their Pro brake housing is a bit thicker and a lot stiffer due to be compressionless. Shimano SP41 housing and Optislick cables are very good. The Optislick cable has a greenish hard coating which flakes rather than sloughs off like their polymer and teflon coated cables. It won't gum things up like the others can. Jagwire used to have black coated cables which were also very good and didn't gum up. Now they have polished cables. I'd happily use either.

If you're using brake cables, you'll find the Jagwire compressionless housings and polished cables really smooth the lever motion and firm up the lever to the point of making mech brakes feel almost like hydro. For me it's worth the hassle of dealing with the stiffer housing and having to use their special reducer ferules.

Their cheaper brake housing that's not compressionless is the same diameter as Shimano brake housing.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
FWIW, I don't really care for the kits anymore. BITD with interrupted housings and multi-chainring setups, I used them. Loved the old Gore Ride-on kits. When those went away, I started getting the XTR kits. I've got one of those floating around, that's reserved for one particular bike that uses interrupted housings and used to have a multi-chainring drivetrain (but does not anymore).

These days, I buy the bits separately. I won't touch internal routing, so I can't help there. My wife has a bike with it, but it hasn't needed new cables yet thankfully. I buy bigger rolls of housing. I have both Jagwire and Shimano SP41 and like them both. I mostly use the Shimano optislick cables now, too. And I buy quantities of the crimps and the ferrules. For home use, one purchase will last practically forever.

It's worth noting that 5mm shift housing DOES exist, and you don't want to buy it for modern bikes.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks.

So its the 5mm housing that is the culprit? I guess both Shimano and Jagwire are the same. I was almost certain Jag was thicker - maybe in the past but obviously now has changed.

If that is the case I may just get a full roll of the housing at cost.

Are the shifter cables different diameters?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
Cool. Thanks.

So its the 5mm housing that is the culprit? I guess both Shimano and Jagwire are the same. I was almost certain Jag was thicker - maybe in the past but obviously now has changed.

If that is the case I may just get a full roll of the housing at cost.

Are the shifter cables different diameters?
The inner cables are the same. But when looking at housing, you need to be sure that you're getting 4mm. I dunno what you bought. You'll have to measure it. I have 3 brands of 4mm shift housing. SRAM, Jagwire LEX-SL, and Shimano SP41. All 3 measure 4.05mm in diameter on my calipers.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
... Loved the old Gore Ride-on kits.....
IMO, the kits were good with ferules, liner, seals etc., but the teflon sloughing off the cable and gumming up the action wasn't. If you had exposed cable, you'd see threads of teflon hanging off it. It'd slough off in shifters and elsewhere causing problems. Shimano polymer stuff was somewhat better but still caused (causes) problems. Optimistic and the black coated cables are good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jagwire Elite Sealed housing (5mm) is still larger in diameter than Shimano or the rest of the Jagwire lineup (4mm). I would imagine this is due to adding the inner shift lining.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It's less about the brand and more about the level of cable. Good Jagwire cable will be better than Cheap Shimano and the reverse is also true. Both make good cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.