Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go on a snowboarding trip for my birthday weekend February 26th-28th, but I'm dying from lack of riding. I'm up in Green Bay, WI, and want to come down to stay with a friend while riding the area trails. Is there anything good in the area? Is there somewhere absolutely amazing that would be worth going elsewhere and just camping out? Please let me know of any suggestions for good open trail that will be available the last weekend in February.

Help me save my sanity. XC rider looking for fast, techy trail. :thumbsup:

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Clarify, please...

wheelock said:
I was going to go on a snowboarding trip for my birthday weekend February 26th-28th, but I'm dying from lack of riding. I'm up in Green Bay, WI, and want to come down to stay with a friend while riding the area trails. Is there anything good in the area? Is there somewhere absolutely amazing that would be worth going elsewhere and just camping out? Please let me know of any suggestions for good open trail that will be available the last weekend in February.

Help me save my sanity. XC rider looking for fast, techy trail. :thumbsup:
Are you traveling to Jackson, MO or Jackson County, M). There is great riding at both locations but they're at opposite ends of the state.

Edit to add:

If you're talking about the town, check out the Ozark National Forest trails at www.gorctrails.com .

Note on the southeastern trails: They're comprised of igneous materials and stand up fairly well to wet conditions.

If you're talking about the county, check out any of the trails at www.earthriders.com but specifically Landahl.

Note on the Western trails: They have a lot of clay. When they're wet, they're soupy and not fun to ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about the southeastern trails near the city of Jackson, MO. Would these be open to ride in this season? I'm not really sure how warm it is there end of February usually :p

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Yep...

wheelock said:
I'm talking about the southeastern trails near the city of Jackson, MO. Would these be open to ride in this season? I'm not really sure how warm it is there end of February usually :p
Compared to WI, the weather there will seem warm. It's anywhere from 25-45 deg F.

The trails would be open. Those of us from KC will often head that way to get our singletrack fix because our trails are soup in Feb.

Check out the GORC site. Council Bluffs, Berryman, Middle Fork and North Trace Creek will get you around 100 miles of trail to ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking closely at Berryman. Camping right there, and several trails. I think I could beat myself up pretty well down there.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Ask GORC....

wheelock said:
I'm looking closely at Berryman. Camping right there, and several trails. I think I could beat myself up pretty well down there.
Ask your camping questions on the GORC forums. GORC works closely with the Ozark Trails Association to build and maintain the trails down there. They'll have a lot of local knowledge of camping in the area.

Berryman is a great place to camp but the only two camping options (Berryman Campground and Brazil Creek Campground) are primitive with no water available. I've camped at both and they're really nice. Brazil Creek campground is set up for equestrian campers but it's a nice campground. Berryman is larger and isn't as equestrian friendly.

Council Bluffs Lake (great singletrack trail) has showers but I'm unsure of whether they'll be turned on in Feb. I know there are other campgrounds but I've only stayed at CBL and Berryman/Brazil Creek. The GORC folks will give you much better information than I can.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Nothing much in Jackson but Cape Girardeau has a trail and you should look on the Illinois side of the river, there is some awesome stuff there. Ask at the bike shop in Cape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts