Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the loop for about 7 years. My wife, supporting me, bought me a great 26er. 2003 Trek fuel 90.been riding it for 3 years now and have started racing again, Sport class. I did the Hammerhead in Ocala FL. Entered the full Monty,only completed 50 miles. I expected to be tired after such a race, especially since I'm not in shape for such a race. This past weekend I raced a 20 mile 2 lap XC. Great race! I was unable to pre-ride so my 1st lap was not as good as it could have been.( I am getting to a point ) First: What can I do about feeling so tired after a race? I drove up and back, 2 1/2 hrs. one way. I ate good the night before, pasta, and kept up my energy with high protein energy bars and Gue. Still, I stopped and knapper on the way home.
Second: I'm 5'6", is it worth getting a 29er for a non-sponsored sport rider? I don't have any illusions about going pro, I'm 41! Thanks in advance,
(tired but happy!)
Jeff

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would go demo bikes at a demo and see for yourself. I am still on a 26inch bike, but most of the new bikes have improved a lot since 2003. I was riding a 2007 Trek EX8 and then went to a EX9.9 because my fram broke and I couldn't believe the difference. Now I am on a 2010 Epic Sworks and love the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was looking at a 2011 Epic. I ride with a guy who owns a shop here (small shop) and its his he want to sell. Shop owner bennies! I'm not sure I can afford his, but he will let me test ride it. I thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
362 Posts
My opinion is that the bike does not matter as long as what you have functions properly. When you are suffering during a race, you are not thinking about 26 vs 29. I have a 29er and to be honest, I don't see any magic in it. It is a nice bike, but only that. It has been ten or so years since I was last riding, so I can't compare directly, but I don't feel any advantage. If anything, I sometimes wish I had a 26er as most of the trails I ride are tight and twisty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts