Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
TiVo --- Friday, February 2nd at 2:30 a.m.

The Josh Kornbluth Show : "Choppers and Breezers"

It's on Ch. 9 for a few more showings --- check Friday, February 2nd at 2:30 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up.

~ Rex

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Watched it. Haven't watched the show before, Josh Kornbluth is quite the goofball.

Dunno anything about Jacquie Phelan except she was a champion racer and all. I'm sure she was joking, but given that I'm a guy, I can't really relate to the "testosterone" comment. Seemed like a cheap shot, but I'm sure she meant well. Bet if a guy made a estrogen comment like that one he'd get skewered.

Joe Breeze seemed like a cool guy. Breezer no. 1 should be put into a museum or something.

Hey, does anyone know how they attached gears to Morrow coaster brake hubs? I understand a group from Cupertino did Repack in 1974 with gears. Were coaster brakes converted to work by hand?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Watched the show and found it pretty interesting. Liked the clips and photos from the old days of repack. Hope that the movie Klunkers comes out on DVD soon.

By the way, I streamed the show on real player. I've heard that Real player has some bad spyware stuff in it. Any of you computer type professionals have any knowledge of how invasive it really is?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Swell Guy said:
Dunno anything about Jacquie Phelan except she was a champion racer and all. I'm sure she was joking, but given that I'm a guy, I can't really relate to the "testosterone" comment. Seemed like a cheap shot, but I'm sure she meant well. Bet if a guy made a estrogen comment like that one he'd get skewered.

Joe Breeze seemed like a cool guy. Breezer no. 1 should be put into a museum or something.

Hey, does anyone know how they attached gears to Morrow coaster brake hubs? I understand a group from Cupertino did Repack in 1974 with gears. Were coaster brakes converted to work by hand?
Jacquie is....unique to say the least. Fantastic rider and never had a problem getting dirty with the boys or speaking her mind.
I doubt it was a cheap shot so much as thats just how she is.

Joe Breeze is one of the nicest guys to meet and talk to in person. Class act all the way.

And yes, MTB's 'true' roots (at least here in the US/Ca.) can be traced back to the Morrow DC guys (Morrow Dirt Club) out of Cupertino.
Story goes that they brought their geared klunkers to a CX race up in Marin where the bikes were spotted by Gary Fisher, Breeze (and perhaps Tom Ritchey and a few others). They took the idea and ran with it.

They're in the MBHOF.
http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/inductees.cfm?page=99&mID=52

One of the Morrow DC members has been so kind as to post in our VRC forum as well....which is quite an honor IMO.

The Jan/Feb issue of Decline has a great spread on MTB's beginnings and the bikes.
http://www.declinemagazine.com/magazine/past%20issues/magazine_past.htm

·
steel is real
21 Posts
Morrow Dirt Club

Haven't seen the podcast yet, but will try to view it. Want to hear Joe's ideas on not just the history but the future of bicycles. As a member of the MorrowDC Joe, and others, brought our story to the media which has given us at least fifteen minutes of fame. I get a big smile every time I see some of the old pictures or hear people talking about our group. As for the question of putting gears on a morrow coaster brake, this was not what we did and I can't imagine how it could be done. But hey, anything is possible! We took hubs made for geared bikes (ten speeds) Atom drum brake that accepted a cluster,Sturmey Archer drum, another hub my brother and i used was a campagnolo record low flang hub with track axles. These hubs were built into steel 26" rims, ends of spokes ground down once built. Thumb shifters on the bars. Look forward to reading more.
I've been able to get on Jacquies e-mail list and enjoy her comments and sense of humor. Will be interested in her thought on this kqed pod cast. TC

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The Dirt on Jacquie Phelan

Choppers and Breezers (1/29/2007) Source: https://blogs.kqed.org/joshkornbluth/watch/

From the wild motorcyle builders who fashion "choppers" for stars like Metallica's James Hetfield to the daring creator of the first mountain bike it's time to meet the creative geniuses behind some of the most innovative vehicles of the two- wheeled variety. Tom Zimberoff, photographer and author of Art of the Chopper, shows off his stunning photos and shares the stories behind the world's leading chopper builders. And can Josh find a chopper that's right for him (do they come with cup holders?).. find out as he dons leather for the Grand National Bike Show. Next up Josh chats with Joe Breeze, who risked life and limb to ride Marin's first mountain bike down the side of Mt. Tamalpais, and Jacquie Phelan, bike racing pioneer and founder of WOMBATS. Download the video direct from The Josh Kornbluth Show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.