Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the santacruz jackal as a possible frame but I was looking for something for more than just dirtjumps. I was wondering if the jackal can do other stuff besides jumps. I want a strong hardtail frame for jumps, street, and drops. if the jackal is wrong than what is a good frame?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
really depends on how much money you want to spend on the frame or whatever. Jackal is definitely just for jumps. I'm sure you can use it for urban if you really wanted to but I would not recommend it. If you are talking about doing drops then you are either talking about trials style drops-to-flat or you mean I-wish-I-had-rear-suspension types of drops. I just picked up a Sinister DNA, which is perfect for DJ and urban. If you really want the full range of hardtail capabilities including FR trail riding then you may need to be looking at things like the Banshee Morphine or Evil Imperial. There are less expensive options like the giant STP, or even that new trek. Biggest complaint on the Jackal is that it is heavy. Its a whole pound heavier than my DNA. I'm a small dude so I need something light to swing around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i said drops i meant the type i had a rear suspension. I would be doing trail freeriding with it too.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The jackal scored last place in the October issue of Mountain Bike Action in a dirtjump bike shootout . However it did say the Jackal would be the best if you were looking to go really big. It was the strongest. you can order a copy of that issue at mbaction.com Well that's what I got to say about the jackal. Another good frame would be the Kona Cowan. It's pretty much the same frame as my Kona Stuff except it's got replaceable dropouts and a gyro mount(which i don't know why someone would want a gyro on a mtb. jus my opinion though.) Anyway, I've taken my bike of a 8 ft drop and landed kinda awkward but the bike was still fine. I've also heard good things bout the Azonic Steelhead and Yeti DJ frames. check em' out. Also the new "06 gary fisher PhD looks pretty tough. Oh ya, the Specialized P.3 looks sick. So many options, can't name e'm all. Hope I could help. Peace.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
cummings said:
The jackal scored last place in the October issue of Mountain Bike Action in a dirtjump bike shootout . However it did say the Jackal would be the best if you were looking to go really big. It was the strongest. you can order a copy of that issue at mbaction.com
I wouldn't trust anything that MBA prints....they cater to their advertisers, so other bikes might not be better, besides they are more XC'ish....I wouldn't trust their dirt jumping opinion

in conclussion...
I woudn't buy their magazine
I would not trust MBA
I wouldn't buy their magazine
I think they are hypocrites

MBA sucks....but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have both the jackal and the chameleon. both are orgasmic bikes. the chameleon is fantastic for everything out there. the jackal is good for anything abusive. it can do wayy more than DJ, the thing is that the frame has a unique feel, for the better, but it takes a bit to adjust to it. the jackal is amazing and gives soooooo much confidence and it manuals like a dream machine

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I had a jackal for a few months... didn't really like it that much, geometry was not great really cramped and uncomftorble, did dj and urban well but couldn't do much else, geo is not for drops at all.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you are gonna trail ride too you should really look at the morphine, not the jackal. I'm sure there are other bikes to consider. Even a MC rumble is better suited than the jackal. Sinister makes a hardtail that would work well too, not the DNA, the other one. Or, look at the transition bikes. I'm sure some other people in here can make some sugestions. Just keep this in mind.
1. If you need to pedal that thing, think about where your seat is gonna be.
2. If you wanna trail huck that thing, you want to be able to fit a longer travel fork.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wouldn't trust anything that MBA prints....they cater to their advertisers, so other bikes might not be better, besides they are more XC'ish....I wouldn't trust their dirt jumping opinion.
Yeah I don't think MBA really knows what their talking about when it comes to anything but XC.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
well i second the opinion about MBA, its not the best mag to listen to for DJ info IMO. i've also been considering the jackal frame. i know a few guys who have had them and liked them but i don't have any experience with it. i would be getting it just for DJ and some 4x. if you want to ride trail freeride i would look at an evil imperial or a banshee morphine or even a transition trail or park frame

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the vagrant out yet? why isnt there a picture of it and only a sketch??? if it is out where would be a good place to pick one up. thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
MC Rumble....

RobsterCraw said:
If you are gonna trail ride too you should really look at the morphine, not the jackal. I'm sure there are other bikes to consider. Even a MC rumble is better suited than the jackal. Sinister makes a hardtail that would work well too, not the DNA, the other one. Or, look at the transition bikes. I'm sure some other people in here can make some sugestions. Just keep this in mind.
1. If you need to pedal that thing, think about where your seat is gonna be.
2. If you wanna trail huck that thing, you want to be able to fit a longer travel fork.
I'll second the MC Rumble, good all around HT.

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
MtN BkR90 said:
I was looking at the santacruz jackal as a possible frame but I was looking for something for more than just dirtjumps. I was wondering if the jackal can do other stuff besides jumps. I want a strong hardtail frame for jumps, street, and drops. if the jackal is wrong than what is a good frame?
Disagreed vpjackal989.
Didn't know it was a special geo for drops ;), how about technique?
Got a Jackal with a Pike. It kills in the dirt.. Runs smooth on drops and stuff like that... Even racing 4x on it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wouldn't trust anything that MBA prints....they cater to their advertisers, so other bikes might not be better, besides they are more XC'ish....I wouldn't trust their dirt jumping opinion

in conclussion...
I would not trust MBA
I wouldn't buy their magazine
I think they are hypocrites

MBA sucks....but that is just my opinion
Well in that article one of the test riders was well known, and frequents this site... Id say his opinion is fair unless one of the test bikes was 24"... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts