Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...

im riding Annadel on Saturday..but up early on friday. Thinking about hitting.
Jack London St Park for a while..i love me some techy and love massive climbs. and everything in between..im not expecting this place to be the GNAR..but any suggestions for a good loop or what trails I SHOULD take here.. looking for about a 15-20 mile ride.
is that possible?

http://www.parks.ca.gov/mediagallery/?page_id=478&viewtype=7

thanks soo much...peace
gizzard

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Try This

Here's something that will get you some miles, a LOT of climbing and some great views:

-Start at the Sonoma Developmental Center. Figure out where Orchard Road is (it's on starts in west part of SDC and goes up the mountain).

-Go UP Orchard Road. It's paved for a while. After Camp Via it turns into dirt. Follow it up to **** Trap Trail (optional -- ride around the orchard. Not technical or fast or anything. Just pretty).

-Ride up **** Trap Trail to Sonoma Ridge Trail

-Ride Sonoma Ridge Trail to Mountain Trail

-Ride Mountain Trail WEST to the top -- ditch your bike, hike the 1/2 mile to the top and take a picture, drink some water, make a phone call, etc.

-Go back to your bike. You can now do an out-and-back down hayfields --which is very, very pretty OR -- bomb down Mountain trail to the main part of JLHP. When you reach the bottom portion of the trail, be advised that you will begin to see more people. The rangers are very protective of these people and will not be happy if you scream past them at over 15 mph. You could get a ticket.

-Take Lake trail to Lake Service road to the main part of the park -- stop to see and read about some history

-Exit the park on London Ranch Road down into Glen Ellen

-OPTIONAL -- have a beer at the Jack London Saloon

-Ride back to SDC either via Arnold Drive or -- if you can figure it out -- via the dirt trail in the Regional Park.

Have fun! :)

-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<<<Klarity>>> thanks soo much for taking the time to map this out for me. Sounds excellent and nice alternative to annadel in this area...JL on fryday..annadel on Sat.
might try the sugarloaf/hood mtn. park..or try Camp Tamarancho in fairfax on my way out on sunday...DEMO In Soquel today..t-minus a few hours..THANKS

Gizzard

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Saturday ride

GizzardS&P said:
<<<Klarity>>> thanks soo much for taking the time to map this out for me. Sounds excellent and nice alternative to annadel in this area...JL on fryday..annadel on Sat.
might try the sugarloaf/hood mtn. park..or try Camp Tamarancho in fairfax on my way out on sunday...DEMO In Soquel today..t-minus a few hours..THANKS

Gizzard
I see that you're hitting Annadel (not sure if first time or not). If you're into grass roots racing, there is a fine event a little farthur north of SR near Healdsburg at Lake Sonoma. Alot of the Adel regular riders are heading up for the grand finally that bikemonkey puts on.

http://lss.bikemonkey.net/

Curious to what you think of JL riding aswell.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Skip Sugarloaf and go to Tamarancho. Sugarloaf is almost entirely a paved trail which is really steep. The views are great, but mountain bikes aren't allowed on the nice trails.

I usually do the loop suggested by Klarity in the opposite direction; leave downtown GE, up London Ranch Road, up to the lake, up to the summit, double back and then take a right on the single track (Sonoma Ridge Trail). Only because I spend more time descending the single track by myself, rather than bombing down the fire road which can have a lot of hikers. Whatever you do, don't forget your camera. The views are spectacular, and once you make the short hike to the summit, you'll want to take a picture of the train caboose. I've been up there several times over the last 20 years, starting with a field trip where our 4th grade teacher took us on a hike to the top. I still have no idea how it got there, or why it's there. But somehow it made it's way up there.

You can get a beer at the Jack London Lodge, but I recommend stopping in to Benziger Winery on your way back in to Glen Ellen. You're in wine country, so might as well take it all in. You can get a beer at any old bar, and the Lodge is nothing special.

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Say what now?

You can get a beer at the Jack London Lodge, but I recommend stopping in to Benziger Winery on your way back in to Glen Ellen. You're in wine country, so might as well take it all in. You can get a beer at any old bar, and the Lodge is nothing special.
Gasp! The Saloon -- nothing special?! What are you talking about? It's the heart of GE -- right on Sonoma Creek! It is hardly any old bar!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Klarity said:
Gasp! The Saloon -- nothing special?! What are you talking about? It's the heart of GE -- right on Sonoma Creek! It is hardly any old bar!
I don't know if "heart" is the right body part. Maybe armpit ;-) There's no doubt it has character, but I started going there in 8th grade when they'd let us in to play pool at night during the summer. I don't think its changed much over the last 20 years. Besides, we preferred drinking on top of the laundromat across the street, thats where we partied like rockstars :rockon:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys,
did the JLP loop that was suggested...was tricky finding **** trap trail.not labeled..after a few loops around the garden,, we figured it out and made the climb all the way up to the sonoma trail..HOWEVEr...somewhere in the middle of the **** trap trail..Sign said "closed"
but trail was open..we are almost to the top..so we kept going..and made it to the sonoma trail...which going back down towards the fire road,, was an awesome direction..the climb up was a little tough.. a few hike a bikes...but u can make it if ya crank it...fun day there..made our way back down through the side trails and had a fun time. dont think i will go back anytime soon.

annadel on sat is the GOOODs..did 33 miles there. WP Richardson> Sth Burma> louis Trail > Rough Go > Orchard > Cobblestone > down rough go > up the fire road > to i believe Marsh Trail > to Bay Area Ridge Trail > Fireroads > Down Lawndale > Up Lawndale Rd >up Shultz road (anybody know where the water is there?) up shutlz single track> Ridge Trail >fireroad > I think Marsh Trail again > towards Sth.Burma > Up & then Down Sth.Burma> WP R> finish Burma Trail > down Oak Trail > Channel Drive > Back to Oakmont 33 miles... GREAT DAY.

Sunday did Camp Tamarancho.>SOO much fun..short/smaller..but I can see lots of potential to link up other stuff..we did the clockwise loop there..about 12 miles..about 3 hours..i could have done that loop again.

well. thanks for the heads up..back to skeggs/demo./coe riding.
WOOHOO

GizzardS&P

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Thanks for the ride report! I'm glad you tried all three places. I initially thought of telling you that Jack London's not all that hot -- but thought it would be better for you to judge for yourself. I hope that at least you got some good views! And now you can say that you been there, done that.

Sounds like you rode the most epic Annadel route ever. Good work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx Klarity,,, I would consider JLP "adventure riding" that is where i was going to toss hood mtn/sugerloaf into..Where as Annadel/Skeggs is tru XC riding. Annadel is my fav...ive tried every trail there in *most* directions...so that loop, is something ive worked on for a few years....if im cranking i can hit that anndel loop around 5 1/2- 6 1/2 hours.depending how long I take a break for... THREE CHEERS FOR Annadel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts