Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Jabberwocky is a good frame for the money. Welds aren't bad and the powdercoat is shiny and durable. However, there was one rather obvious quality control issue that surprised me. It's where the seat stays meet the seat tube. There are holes drilled into the seat tube where they meet, and the inside of the seat tube had to be filed to eliminate the metal that was "pushed through" in the drilling process. But once filed flush, I still couldn't get the post any further down about 2" below the top tube junction. The problem is that the seat tube actually narrows at that point, preventing use of a longer seat post. I tried to force it down further and actually almost couldn't get it back out. Finally had to cut off an inch of (27.2x400) seat post to get it to my desired height. I never contacted Vassago as I got the frame through a third party, and I didn't really want to go through the process if it meant replacing frame and starting over. Just an FYI to future buyers.

The bike is a blast to ride by the way. I'm 5'9" and really had to be talked into buying the small size frame. It was the right decision though, fits perfect. Now I can send the Badger off for new powdercoat and still have a SS to throw down until she gets back.

Paulie Black Composite material Pipe Bicycle accessory Silver

White Cable Pipe Composite material Material property

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Unless something really is wrong, it sounds like the bike is designed around a 350mm long seatpost, which is basically an industry standard.

Also, my 10 year old Trek had the same change in outer seat tube diameter. I believe they do that so you the frame can be more reinforced around the seatpost but still save weight with a lighter tube where the extra material isn't needed.

EDIT: Actually, thinking back, even though my bike had the external diameter change on the seat tube I could still drop the seatpost all the way into the frame. Does sound like something's wrong

·
Banned
960 Posts
I Noticed Your Useing One Spacer On Each Side Of The Bb,is It A 68mm ?? If So Is This Correct, I Though Shimano Spec'ed The Use Of Two Spacers On The Drive And One On The Non Drive For 68mm B.b.
Thx .....

·
Registered
87 Posts
The seat tube looks like someone has used a repair stand clamp and clamped the tube waaaaaaay too tight. I actually did this to an old steel frame bike I had a long time ago. I just clamped the seat tube too tight and it compressed the tube diameter. As for the holes, my Jabber doesn't have that issue. I think these things may have been caused by the previous owner.

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jdeane4 said:
The seat tube looks like someone has used a repair stand clamp and clamped the tube waaaaaaay too tight. I actually did this to an old steel frame bike I had a long time ago. I just clamped the seat tube too tight and it compressed the tube diameter. As for the holes, my Jabber doesn't have that issue. I think these things may have been caused by the previous owner.
The down tube has never been clamped. I bought the frame new in the box, and only suspended it by the top tube during the build. I suspect though, it's possible that if it were clamped at that area during the welding process, it could have actually compressed due to extreme heat.

If you're using a 350mm post, it's probably not going to be an issue. The extreme angle of the top tube allows for low standover, and requires that alot of seatpost be exposed, so I bought the 400mm just to be on the safe side. I never expected to have to cut it, and am surprised they don't specify 27.2x350mm max on their site. Maybe they don't know? Someone in QC never checked to file off those holes though before sending this one out for paint. Only took a few minutes, then shot the whole thing with frame saver anyway.

BB is a Truvative Stylo SS specific 68x113mm and with one spacer on each side achieves perfect chainline.

Ride on . . .:D
Paulie

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
I have three Jabbers and use 410mm posts on all of them but I have fairly long legs. Seat post length is going to vary by rider so that's why manufacturers can't really specify a certain length. I haven't experienced the condition you describe.
My seat post extends to about an inch below the top tube/chain stay junction. As long as it is in past the minimum insertion point you are good, any more than that and you are wasting seat post anyway.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Your seat tube does not decrease in size on the inside. What you see on the outside of the tube is called an externally butted tube. If it were internally butted like the top tube and down tube the seat post would wallow around a tiny little bit due to the slightly different internal diameters at the end of the tube and the middle of the tube. Every single Vassago steel frame is built this way. Not sure what the problem is with your particular seat tube/post but that shrinkage of the tube on the outside is 100% completely normal and I've put 400mm posts in more than one.

So basically, your top tube and down tube are internally butted at both ends (double butted) and the seat tube is butted externally once at the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.