Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't liked any of them. I actually pretty much hated them. One was a 2003 XL GF Supercaliber with a 80mm Marathon, a 22" Salsa Dos niner with a Reba set at 80mm, a XL GF 292 with a Reba set at 100mm, and a 22" Karate Monkey with the stock fork.

I had a beef with each one. I didn't like the rider postioning on either GF and I couldn't get it right either. The Salsa was a noodle and handled like a school bus, nor did i care for the fit. The Karate Monkey was HUUUGE even for 22" and it handled like a huge bike. However, the TT lenght on it was great, but i had nearly zero standover.

FYI, I'm 6'3 with a 35.5" inseam. I really like the idea of the 29er, but it gets frustrating when you haven't like any of bikes you've tried.

My current bikes are both 26" wheeled, a XL 07 TF 8 with 100mm Fox, and 20" Kona Explosif (kinda) with a Rigid fork (AC 445mm). I love the how both bikes fit and handle.

This brings me to my question, based on YOUR PERSONAL experience, what should I look for in 29er to make me happy. Take into accout what I've owned and ridden.

Thanks

703 Posts
tweener

you're inbetween size compatibility for some of those bikes. I've owned all the exact same bikes, and I'm 6'6"

The XL Supercal is too long for you - fit me good, but not enough seat tube
The standover on the Dos was too high for me, so definitely too much for you (although the length was probably good) - but mine was a noodle too
The XL 293 fit me pretty well - too stretchy and long for you
The XL Monkey fits me well - you might like the 20"

my recommendation: try the 21" Voodoo Dambala - it has about 24" of eff top tube, is more solid than the dos, more forgiving than the monkey, and less of a bus than all of them. otherwise, you're hard to please.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
First thought....custom build. Many of your problems revolve around finding a frame that fits you properly. Not sure you are willing to wait for a custom or spend that kind of money. Several custom frame builders come in under $1K

·
Registered
817 Posts
29er's aren't for everyone, no biggie.

but 3 of the 4 bikes you listed, IMO aren't shining examples of the 29er. GF's geometry might not feel right to you, and those are common issues with the dos (noodle and standover, but most find it is too twitchy rather than school bussy)

Bottom line, I think you need to go for the frame you feel will fit you best, based on your preferences and riding style. Start with the basic geo that you liked on the monkey and look for something close, but with better standover.

if you like your kona, the explosif comes in 29"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MichiganClydesdale said:
you're inbetween size compatibility for some of those bikes. I've owned all the exact same bikes, and I'm 6'6"

The XL Supercal is too long for you - fit me good, but not enough seat tube
The standover on the Dos was too high for me, so definitely too much for you (although the length was probably good) - but mine was a noodle too
The XL 293 fit me pretty well - too stretchy and long for you
The XL Monkey fits me well - you might like the 20"

my recommendation: try the 21" Voodoo Dambala - it has about 24" of eff top tube, is more solid than the dos, more forgiving than the monkey, and less of a bus than all of them. otherwise, you're hard to please.
With the exception of the Kona, pretty much every bike ( 26 or 29) I have owned has either been an XL or 21" and I have only disliked the 29ers.

I have do have a XC racing background, and still to this day I prefer geometry like that of your typical racing hardtail ie Trek 9.9

I have honestly been thinking of doing a custom Ti 29er, but I'd like to know what it is exactly that I did not like about the bikes I have ridden. They have all been different styles of bikes, and they each had their own issues.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
pktrekguy said:
I have honestly been thinking of doing a custom Ti 29er, but I'd like to know what it is exactly that I did not like about the bikes I have ridden. They have all been different styles of bikes, and they each had their own issues.
Talk to a builder. The likes and dislikes you mentioned on each of those frames will give a builder an idea what you need. Combine that with your physical measurements will let them come up with a build that should be close to perfect. For my first 29er I ordered custom (Waltworks...should arrive today or tomorrow). When Walt sent me his design I compared it to several factory 29er frames. Very similar geometry to bikes from Niner but with some small differences. Plus, I get the added bonus of picking my own color and that wonderful "Handmade in the US, not by a robot in China" feeling.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
WTF? lay off the hard stuff man....

you're considering dropping the serious $$$ on a custom, Ti 29er, but you've never liked a 29er yet?

theres nothing wrong with 26ers, or enjoying 26ers....why force the issue to the price of custom? maybe in a year or 2 there will be 29ers with completely different geometry to try out...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont recall the SO on the Dos being that aweful at least not like the KM. I've never had a problem getting the seat low enough. Actually, its the opposite on my 26" bikes, My XL TF 8 has a 410mm Thomson post and I'm within 2" of the max.

I've always heard good things about thi Niner and a local has an large or 19", which ever, and it definately is too small. If only i could try a 21 or an XL...

Padre said:
Step 1: Try a Niner. Get an EMD. They maintain your TT love and solve your ST issue.
Step 2: Get a custom bike.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
burner said:
29er's aren't for everyone, no biggie.
precisely...and for some riding I simply dont like em at all....all personal preference so maybe they just dont do it for you.

I have only had one bike I hated and it happened to be a 29er (Dos Niner) but that does not imply I hate all my 29ers. I liked my Surly 1x1 tons more than it in fact. Perhaps you have had bad luck?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Have you tried a Redline Monocog 29er? I agree with you on the GF riding position, but I love where I'm at on my MC29er. Try both a Monocog 29er and a Flight 29er, they have slightly different geometry.

Good luck on your search.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Padre said:
Step 1: Try a Niner. Get an EMD. They maintain your TT love and solve your ST issue.
Step 2: Get a custom bike.
well said..I loved my Ninerbike (which i still had it). To date, for me anyway, best geo ever for a single speed and/or hardtail.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
pktrekguy said:
My current bikes are both 26" wheeled, a XL 07 TF 8 with 100mm Fox, and 20" Kona Explosif (kinda) with a Rigid fork (AC 445mm). I love the how both bikes fit and handle.

This brings me to my question, based on YOUR PERSONAL experience, what should I look for in 29er to make me happy. Take into accout what I've owned and ridden.

Thanks
I guess I have to ask why do you want to step off of two bikes that fit and handle perfectly? If you're satisfied with the bikes you're riding and have hated the 29ers you have ridden, then maybe you should stick with what's working for you. Just because you're tall it doesn't mean that you can't still ride your 26ers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ferday said:

you're considering dropping the serious $$$ on a custom, Ti 29er, but you've never liked a 29er yet?

theres nothing wrong with 26ers, or enjoying 26ers....why force the issue to the price of custom? maybe in a year or 2 there will be 29ers with completely different geometry to try out...
Im not crazy. I should rephrase. I would eventually like to do a custom Ti bike, but I want to find a set up I like to model the ti bike after, or I want to find a builder to discuss my likes and discuss dislikes with.... like someone mentioned earlier. Thats a whole nother topic altogether and I dont want to open that can of worms just yet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ferday said:

??? A voice or reasoned clarity in a sea of rhetoric....is the end nigh?;)

You were joking about laying off the hard stuff, right?:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.