1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, it was bound to happen ...

1. I'm teaching an add'l class each quarter at school,

2. spending a lot more time on an NIH grant that I managed to pull down,

3. am playing classical and jazz music again on 3 horns that I bought recently (trumpet, flugelhorn, and pocket trumpet)

4. been trying to finish an orig. music CD that I started about 3 years ago in my home studio (my main axes are keyboards).

So, I have less time to ride and even think about mtn biking; this, despite my mtn biking buddies buying me a new SRAM 9-speed rear derailleur, cassette, chain, and shifters to upgrade my current 24-speed XTR tranny on my last b-day.

When I *do* get out for a mtn bike ride, the passion's all gone. It's now only "a form of physical exercise" for me; something I need to do to preserve my health.

Maybe I need a new mtn bike to help me get excited about riding again? Unfortunately, we've dropped about $35k on some home remodeling, so I don't have the $$$ to buy what I'd really like to buy: an Ibis Mojo dualie (maybe their "SL" model).

Maybe I shouldn't complain about my bike though. It's a 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber with full XTR, Marzocchi X-Fly 100mm air, and I also have a 2001 Schwinn Rocket 88 Disc dualie. Must be that I've lost that lovin' feeling, eh???

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Keep getting exercise.
Don't feel ashamed for embracing other hobbies.
Maybe try getting a cheaper SS, road, cruiser, or cyclocross bike for something different.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I don't know if it's about the bike or not... it might be. But try this : explore new trails! When I always do the same trails, I end up being bored and lose my passion. In the same veins, rjk's suggestions is valid. Changing your bike type can help. I started road cycling and it makes me want to hit the trails even more. I'm also planning to buy a trials bike to improve on that aspect of cycling as well so I can enjoy the trails more. One way or another, try something different!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
go ride something cool or make plans to go ride something cool. I.e. moab or a race or something.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Schwinng said:
Ah, it was bound to happen ...

1. I'm teaching an add'l class each quarter at school,

2. spending a lot more time on an NIH grant that I managed to pull down,

3. am playing classical and jazz music again on 3 horns that I bought recently (trumpet, flugelhorn, and pocket trumpet)

4. been trying to finish an orig. music CD that I started about 3 years ago in my home studio (my main axes are keyboards).

So, I have less time to ride and even think about mtn biking; this, despite my mtn biking buddies buying me a new SRAM 9-speed rear derailleur, cassette, chain, and shifters to upgrade my current 24-speed XTR tranny on my last b-day.

When I *do* get out for a mtn bike ride, the passion's all gone. It's now only "a form of physical exercise" for me; something I need to do to preserve my health.

Maybe I need a new mtn bike to help me get excited about riding again? Unfortunately, we've dropped about $35k on some home remodeling, so I don't have the $$$ to buy what I'd really like to buy: an Ibis Mojo dualie (maybe their "SL" model).

Maybe I shouldn't complain about my bike though. It's a 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber with full XTR, Marzocchi X-Fly 100mm air, and I also have a 2001 Schwinn Rocket 88 Disc dualie. Must be that I've lost that lovin' feeling, eh???
1. Classes will kill you. The take tons of time until the second and third time teaching them.

2. At this point and time, you are lucky to get an NIH grant, so spend as much time on it that you can. If it is an RO1, make sure you have at least 5-10 good publications when the renewal comes around.

3&4. We all have things we love, got to do them all.

What I did is upgrade my old bike (1998) to be more "fun". This included upgrading the shock, changing the stem and handlebars and just enjoying the ride more than worrying about getting a workout. It helped.

Good luck.

·
well mannered lout
3,424 Posts
Set a new mtbing goal... something to go after once the house is put back together and the cd is done. Maybe build up your own bike,or maybe do a specific race,trail route, or event. It doesn't matter what it is just so long as it's something that can focus some mental energy toward riding even when you're too busy to be on the bike. Keeping a base level of fitness makes coming back much easier, but forcing yourself to go X number of miles just because you feel you have to is a bad mindset to have. Please don't turn mtbiking ( or music,or whatever else you love) into a chore.
Give us the good news when it comes. peace K

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mountain biking is my backup hobby when I can't ride motocross. When I get home from a good ride on the trails I see my 04' YZ250F in the garage looking at me like, "Where have you been? and who is this Windsor things with no motor???". I feel like I'm cheating on my dirtbike everytime I hit the trails because motocross is my main calling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Goose, she's lost that lov'n feeling.
No Mav....
Yes, she has...
........I hate it when she does that.

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips.
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips.
You're trying hard not to show it, (baby).
But baby, baby I know it...

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes
when I reach for you.
And now your're starting to critisize little things I do.
It makes me just feel like crying, (baby).
'Cause baby, something in you is dying.

You lost that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...woooooah

Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a love...a love...a love you don't find everyday.

So don't...don't...don't...don't let it slip away.

Baby (baby), baby (baby),
I beg of you please...please,
I need your love (I need your love),
I need your love (I need your love),
So bring it on back (So bring it on back),
Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone...gone,
and I can't go on,
noooo...

Whoa, that lovin' feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone

·
Registered
313 Posts
Try to fit riding into things you are already doing, rather than attempting to create "riding time". I haul my kids to hour long martial arts classes 3 times a week and other activities as well. I have begun to hang the bike on the car and take it to all these events. I can get at least a 45 minute ride. Then, when I do get some time to ride the trails, I'm in decent physical condition.
When you use this method, you will not always be able to wear cycling gear and you will end up doing some night rides, but it's worth it.
When all else fails, bike to work. You have to go to work anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wheelbender6 said:
Try to fit riding into things you are already doing, rather than attempting to create "riding time". I haul my kids to hour long martial arts classes 3 times a week and other activities as well. I have begun to hang the bike on the car and take it to all these events. I can get at least a 45 minute ride. Then, when I do get some time to ride the trails, I'm in decent physical condition.
When you use this method, you will not always be able to wear cycling gear and you will end up doing some night rides, but it's worth it.
When all else fails, bike to work. You have to go to work anyway.
I agree. I took my new bike on an 8 mile city ride and it was awesome. I ride my bike every day so I guess it just keeps my stamina up all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.