Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,065 Posts
like skiing a pair of straight skis. Usless for learning how we ride today.
Laughable but brutally true. In fact, humorous BECAUSE it’s brutally true.

OP, if the bike runs, then run it. Meanwhile know that if you get bit hard by this sport called mountain biking, amazing changes to equipment — particularly during the past 7 years or so — have essentially made it a different sport than it was before. I’m talking about the functionality of the equipment and the abilities these improvements have provided for today’s avid rider. New equipment is expensive and worth it.

Not saying you should go out and buy a new bike. Just be aware they’re out there… and amazing. Whenever you’re ready. Meanwhile, ride it like you stole it.
=sParty

·
Ride what you like!
1,190 Posts
Like driving a muscle car. Completely different experience from a new car, but still driveable, and a heck of a lot of fun. Agreed that it is useless for teaching you to ride how others ride today, but I don't know anything about how they do that, and it hasn't ruined my rides.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Cross country skis are different then downhill, my first thought of the post was old school downhill skis which were straight as compared to todays arc angle skis which have different "degrees" which makes it easier to turn on an edge. I forget the terminology, I always look at the prices of the ski stuff (and lift tix) when I am looking at the bicycle stuff in the store, its a pretty expensive sport for growing kids, just like hockey. Thats why I got my kids into soccer, or Foot Ball as some call it. A day of downhill skiing, $110/lift ticket, plus food, plus gas, plus rentals. To rent a $25k+ car, its $30/day, to rent a $3k bicycle its $50. Though I dont know what a cross country ski track entry ticket would be, seems to me the 88 olympics looking at the current price is $15/usage fee.

Any bike is a good bike to ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.