Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right! Thats it! I keep seeing pictures of nice bikes in nice surroundings with well-packed dirt and lots of exposed rock to ride on! It is just not fair - so to take it back for those of us in less-perfect surroundings, here you go:

That was the 1st 3/4 mile of my ride this morning. That is why 29ers are great - greater wading depth - not this climbing advantage etc.
England - this green and pleasant land indeed.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
THAT deserves my second favorite British word - "mankey". (The other is "knackered" - which you had to have been after slogging through that)?!?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Ok, you decide what is worse...

Being able to ride but the trails suck because they are too wet.

Or:

Being holed up in your house waiting for your fever to abate and this nasty cough to go away. BTW: my local trails are sweet right now.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Hey! You're not alone. pal!

Christmas Eve '06. Mud everywhere. We often have water standing around as well.

29"ers are great mudders! Just don't do it on trails that are sensitive! Wouldn't want that! The trails I ride on get constantly rearanged on a regular basis by creek floodwaters, so no big deal.

I think Vicious Cycles hangs there hat on winning the mud bogger title two years in a row at some festival or another back in '99 and 2000. So, yet another instance where 29"ers can shine.

Attachments

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
TooTallUK said:
] That is why 29ers are great - greater wading depth - not this climbing advantage etc.
I'm confused.... how do you get greater wading depth when most 29ers are built with BB heights similar to 26er???

Sure a 29er may keep your hubs and derailleur higher but it don't do diddly for keeping your feet out of the muck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
TooTallUK said:
Right! Thats it! I keep seeing pictures of nice bikes in nice surroundings with well-packed dirt and lots of exposed rock to ride on! It is just not fair - so to take it back for those of us in less-perfect surroundings, here you go:

That was the 1st 3/4 mile of my ride this morning. That is why 29ers are great - greater wading depth - not this climbing advantage etc.
England - this green and pleasant land indeed.
I took my Niner up north to Dalby Forest on sunday and alot of the trails were that muddy. I had a lovely time slip sliding around in the shlop. Luckily my local trails are on a sandy base so they drain pretty well.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Damn deep snow...

:D

Sorry for the "not quite a full 29inch round" content but it's my main playbike until my Niner Rip frame comes in. We don't get the super-soopey mud around here that often (more like clay death!) but the snow has been awesome. 700c wheels, studded tires and lots of "I think I can..."

Allen

That's our bike path through Kissing Camels here in Colorado Springs overlooking Garden of the Gods....guess they didn't get the plows running in time!

Attachments

·
Addicted 2 building trail
124 Posts
I'm sorry.

I'm an expat and have been in the US now for 10 years. There was a time 3 or 4 years ago when I was getting really fed up with life here, and i was considering going back to the UK. But when I thought about mountain biking there and the weather and the amount of people ( I imagine there is user conflict ) , I just couldn't bring myself to go back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.