Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently my spot started to creak. I think it is coming from the rocker arm pivot. Do you homers think it's time to rebuild\lubricate pivots. I've had the spot since last fall and to me it seems kind of early. What do you think??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,013 Posts
Two Separate Q's

poweraide said:
So recently my spot started to creak. I think it is coming from the rocker arm pivot. Do you homers think it's time to rebuild\lubricate pivots. I've had the spot since last fall and to me it seems kind of early. What do you think??
This is really two different questions. Since it is unexpectedly pouring here this morning, I'll ramble a bit.

First, if you haven't lubed your pivots yet, it is way past time. Do it now, and use thin grease like Manitou M-Prep or Motorex (same stuff as far as I can tell). Do this about every 20 hours of riding, or less, since it's so easy.

Second, it shouldn't be time to rebuild your pivots, but it might not hurt to disassemble them, give them a look, a reassemble. Directions are available on the Turner website. In my opinion, the instructions make the task seem overly complicated. Once you get started, you'll see how simple it is.

Third, the zerk system of greasing the pivots works great on the big pivots, but with apologies to DT, is pretty much a joke on the smaller rear pivots, since the pivot pins on these pivots don't have any journals for grease to flow through. These pivots need to be pulled apart, cleaned and regreased a couple of times per year, or about every 50 hours of riding.

Fourth (and just MY experience), any time either of my Turners has creaked it has always been the right-side rear pivot. Disassembly and regreasing has always cured it. In a pinch, I've also had luck with just loosening it and dripping a little light lube like TriFlow on each side of it, cycling the suspension 10 or 20 times, then re-tightening. Regreasing through the zerks has never quieted the creak.

Good luck!
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
poweraide said:
So recently my spot started to creak. I think it is coming from the rocker arm pivot. Do you homers think it's time to rebuild\lubricate pivots. I've had the spot since last fall and to me it seems kind of early. What do you think??
It is probably your seat post. Pull it out, grease it well, and snug it down well. Any metal-on metal contact can creak. The pivots almost NEVER squeak or creak, even when powder-dry. Another thing to scrutinize is the ferrule end caps (the things at end of the cable housings that fit into the cable stops). Those things can make a lot of noise. A good cleaning and light lube fixes that.

Basically, it probably is not the pivots. That is generally the last thing to suspect. Not that it is impossible, just improbable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
poweraide said:
So recently my spot started to creak. I think it is coming from the rocker arm pivot. Do you homers think it's time to rebuild\lubricate pivots. I've had the spot since last fall and to me it seems kind of early. What do you think??
Creaks are very often hard to pinpoint. The others here may be correct, but I haven't had any creaks from pivots or seatpost. Maybe that's because I'm always checking torque...re-greasing....I just like to work on the bike.

The only creaking that I've had on the spot has been from the romic spring interfaces...top and bottom. Greasing has helped. Bikezilla came up with a fix that I'm gonna try...thin plastic washers between the spring and the shock body....top and bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
The only creak I have had on my Spot was the top Romic bush, a horrible creak/squeak,
One of the best parts about Turners is how quite they are.( had a Whyte in the past )
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Yeah, what they said. Creaks and squeaks can be amazingly deceptive and evasive. Many sounds travel from their source and sound like they are coming from another location.

If you haven't greased your pivots in months, do it now. disconnect the HLs push out the pivot shafts and grease them too. It's unlikely that the pivots are the source however.(But as the others have said, not impossible).

Check the ferrules, seat post, seat binder, even the cable housings wherever they make contact with something else. Note, rear cassette can creak too, so pull it, clean it, and grease the carrier. BB are notorious for creaking.

Other troubleshooting tips are: Try to cycle the suspention using different methods. First get on the bike and bounce on the pedals w/o touching the seat. Then just push down on the seat, then just on the frame. Try unbolting the shock and moving the suspension. Also try torquing the pedals and chain to see if the creaks are drivetrain related. Check the front end too. Put pressure on the bars, pull up and push down with opposite hands. Bounce yank etc.

G'luck, let us know what you find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Czech it all,

but start with the most obvious. CHawk called last nite to tell me his new 'Pack had a squeak, but only when he pedaled. I told him we'd pull the bb after our ride this morning and dice it out. At the trail head I took a listen and...

Lubed his chain! It made for great fodder the entire ride. My add to the list of possibilities above would be the bb cups, and the seat/seatpost connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
squeaky

That sucks. I've had my Spot for 16 months without issues but I do regular maintainance on the pivots. Your'e probably pushing down on the seat to activate the suspension while your'e diognosing the problem so it might be the seat rails or post squeaking which could sound like it's coming from the rocker pivots. I'd clean and tighten the rails and clamp and clean and lube the post. If you have a torque wrench and grease gun I'd grease the pivots and make sure you're main bolts are torqued at 17 ft lb and the others at 9 ft lbs and see if it goes away. if those don't work pull the pivots for inspection and that should tell you if theres any friction on the bushings. Good luck.
 

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
So, what do you recommend?

:confused:
tscheezy said:
It is probably your seat post. Pull it out, grease it well, and snug it down well. Any metal-on metal contact can creak. The pivots almost NEVER squeak or creak, even when powder-dry. Another thing to scrutinize is the ferrule end caps (the things at end of the cable housings that fit into the cable stops). Those things can make a lot of noise. A good cleaning and light lube fixes that.

Basically, it probably is not the pivots. That is generally the last thing to suspect. Not that it is impossible, just improbable.
Hey Tcheesey, does the grease gun sold on the Turner website service all the zirc fittings? Or do I need to buy the 4 & 1/2 " micro injector too? I have never serviced my Burner either, and was looking at it to see. Superho has one or two of the ones you mention in the tech link, but which is better? I've had no problems yet, but figure I sholud start with some basic frame maintenance soon. I ride in mostly dry conditions but water is part of most of my rides.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Any long-needle micro-grease-gun will work. The bent needle one Turner sells makes it easier to get to all the zerks without taking the shock off though (though air shocks may still require removing one mount bolt). I just bent my own carefully. You should really get one since you Turner wants a squirt now and again. It treats you well, you owe it.

You need the long needle, the microinjector pump head (that the needle screws into), and a tube of Prep-M
 

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
Thanks...

tscheezy said:
Any long-needle micro-grease-gun will work. The bent needle one Turner sells makes it easier to get to all the zerks without taking the shock off though (though air shocks may still require removing one mount bolt). I just bent my own carefully. You should really get one since you Turner wants a squirt now and again. It treats you well, you owe it.

You need the long needle, the microinjector pump head (that the needle screws into), and a tube of Prep-M
I read further and realized you had covered it, it looks as though the Turner site sells it with the grease too, so I'll order that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Prof said:
The only creak I have had on my Spot was the top Romic bush, a horrible creak/squeak,
One of the best parts about Turners is how quite they are.( had a Whyte in the past )
Ditto this. I've had to pop out the eyelet bushings on both my Romic and Fox rear shocks because they began squeaking. I usually have to do it about once a year. This has been on 3 different bikes, no less.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top