Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local bike shop and they suggested the Gary Fisher Corbia 29er because im 6 foot 2 with most my body being my leg. Im about 200lbs too. I really love doing technical trails, some jumps. I can't see myself getting more than 3-4 feet of air off a jump, or at least I havent on my Trek 3900 that I bought a few years ago. What bike would you suggest? My budgets around a grand

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Unless you're in a real hurry to spend your money, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the MTBR classifieds, ebay, and craigslist. You can often find lightly used bikes that are much nicer and lighter than the cobia for the same price if you don't mind a few rock chips in the down tube. If you're set on a Fisher though, I'd suggest buying new. Their warranty department seems to get a fair bit of action, though I had no problems with the one I rode hard for a season.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
29er may very well be for you... if you can you should try one out... see if you can't network with a local group... 29ers around here are HUGE... for good reason they smooth the trail out a lot.

i know a few people on fishers and very happy with them... but there are tons of different brands out there selling 29ers... and a number of em in your price range.

as mentioned used is always an option...

good luck

·
I Rode a Metric Century!
133 Posts
I am basically in the same boat my friend...however i like the look of the Mamba colors and have been told the componets are not worth the difference. I am also looking at the specalized 29, and the Trek. I like the Gary Fisher the most and no one I know has problems with them.

But I have been told if your shop offers tune ups with a new bike then buy new. My dad though bought a used hardrock of Craigslist and saved $300. Just food for thought.

Where you from...how long you been riding?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i have an 09 cobia and really like it. i got it new for $900 out the door with an employee's pricing (i think he got it for less and made some cash). i like it better than the mamba (better fork and components), but the x-cal (next step up) is a great 29er that has a much better fork and better components (x7 versus x5).

i agree with going used to save some cash but be careful since everyone isn't honest about bikes and the condition. sometimes it's hard to know what to look for with hairline cracks and stresses.

if you can find an 08 GF 29er, you'll be very happy- extremely similar to the 09s and you'll save a lot of cash. a small part of me has the dreaded hindsight thoughts of why didn't i get an 08 x-cal for $1250 or so and dish out the extra $400-$450 after taxes. probably would have been worth it, but $400 is $400 and that's a decent chunk of change.

ride as many bikes as you can in your price range- you may not like a GF, or you might and if that's the case, you then know for sure.

whatever you do, try not to look back after the purchase (unless it is to learn from your experience)- just enjoy the heck out of it!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Lots of bikes in that price range but they almost all come with a Dart fork.
I don't know how good or bad this fork is but I don't know if I'd take a chance.
If you wind up having to upgrade the fork it's going to cost you more than the difference between the entry level and the next level up.
To play it safe get a bike with least a Tora. It will be cheaper than a Reba equipped bike but it is a great fork.

Bikesdirect.com has 2 Tora equipped bikes, $795 and $769.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_08.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/windsor_cliff29pro.htm

And a Reba equipped bike for $979.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/windsor_cliff29team.htm

The Phantom Pro 29 does not come with clipless pedals but the other two do.
The price of all three includes sales tax and shipping.

The Tora equipped Rockhopper is $1300, without clipless pedals.
The Tora equipped Cobia is $1209, without clipless pedals.
Both, plus sales tax.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
If we want to limit our conversation and options to retail, or "new bikes" at small discounts, then there are some fine suggestions above.

-------------

What I always do, and what I recco for the more saavy buyer, is to shop used, such that the same amount of money buys a lot more bike.

You'll not have a warranty though. You're a big guy, and you like to ride hard, so you'll want a sturdy frame that won't break.

These requirements, this budget, etc, comes down basically to a Karate Monkey.

You should be able to buy a complete KM, you'll want an XL, with a REBA, X9 or XT level components, and a XT or better wheelset. For $1000.

If you settle for less, that's fine. It does take time, effort, and patience.

I regard it as recreation.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
pretty much what ncj01 said... i got a sweet deal on a karate monkey earlier this year... $500 + another 50 for a very nice BB... bb7/sd7 stopper combo, thompson seatpost, WTB saddle, chris king head set, hope/salsa wheelset... shifty bits are older 9.0 and 7.0 parts...

all quality stuff... only truely low end thing on the bike was a no name OEM stem the guy got off another bike and nashbar pedals... both of which function just fine... the crankset wasnt top of the line and is a little flexy for my 300#'s but it works...

put on a tora recently that i got for $125... I put some hydro stoppers on it ($60 total) so i could steal the avid bits for my redline... i'll put a different front derailleur on it soon ($15 maybe) and a new cranks...

very good bike for the price... heck the head set, wheels, and seatpost are worth the entire cost of the bike...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
just told a friend pretty much the same thing... as long as you (or a friend) knows what to look for and you are patient enough there are some good deals to be had...

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
If I were starting over...

and had $1k to spend, I don't think I would look much past a Karate Monkey. It's one of the best all around riding bikes I've owned, regardless of price. This is compared to a Niner Sir9, Air9, and Dean Colonel Ti (least enjoyable and no longer in the stable).

Build it up rigid with decent bits. As money allows, maybe put a boinger on the front. In the meantime, it will teach you to pick better lines and will reward you with great handling. High volume tires will go a long way in providing comfort.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You'll not have a warranty though. You're a big guy, and you like to ride hard, so you'll want a sturdy frame that won't break.

200 lbs... 3-4 foot drops.... there all going to break, it's only a question of when! Happy Trails

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.