Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of new around here and could use some help.

Trying to make up my mind between a 29er or a 26er both Specialized Hardrock Discs one's a 2012 the other (the 29) is a 2013.

I guess graphics are the worst thing to use as a decision maker when buying a bike as what is really important are components. I think I want the 26er because it puts me on an even playing field with my wife and her new Myka Sport Disc (below)

I like her bike a lot and although she thinks it's a little tomboyish, she's is more than pleased with it.

I should tell you a little more about the kind of riding we'll be doing and not be doing. I will not be doing a RedBull Canyon Comp anytime soon in this lifetime although I sure wish I was born into generation "X". For the most part our riding will be trucking the bikes into a country road somewhere and riding singletrack, fireroads and getting into the woods. It may involve a five or ten mile blacktop ride to and from whatever town we're staying in.

I'm not a big guy (5'-9") so even though a 29er doesn't feel like a monster I'm more used to the 26er world and 700cm roadworld.

My bike either this 2012 (very plain, but Stealth is nice too) 26er

Or this 2013 29er (pleasing graphics)

So guys, what do you think? My bike gets ordered in less than two hours

Appreciate you help/opinions,

Hank :)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I would the bottom 29r. having been on HT 26, it was miserable compared to a 29r

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you were going full suspension this might be a tough decision but since you are going hardtail i say go with the 29. I have a ht 29 but I am in the market for a 26 fs. Just a little background to show that I am not a diehard 29er guy

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Not sure we can really help. At your height, you can easily go both ways. I'm 5' 9" and routinely flip back and forth between the two sizes depending upon my mood and where I'm riding. FWIW, I like the bigger wheels for fireroad and pavement riding, and when I'm otherwise just covering distance. I like the 26er wheels on the tight and twisty trails, and for humpy trails requiring lots of pumping action. On some trails I go both ways depending upon my mood at the moment.

Maybe just ask your wife. She'll tell ya what to think. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys keep it coming

I'm a good rider but the 29er makes me think I'll be fighting it's overall size on twisty tight steep stuff. Maybe I should put a hold on the order and see if the shop has a 29 loaner. I do a lot of road biking so speed and ground coverage is not an issue. Obviously with a front shock only (and a spring tension one at that) I won't be doing anything too radical.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Why pay for lbs model prices if u can't try before ordering any way.

I vote for getting internet direct model and enjoying the extra value.

Bikes direct has a $800 shipped x9 reba equipped bike.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Point well taken

Why pay for lbs model prices if u can't try before ordering any way.I vote for getting internet direct model and enjoying the extra value. Bikes direct has a $800 shipped x9 reba equipped bike.
Too late for this bike around but next time will look deeper into doing this. Only problem is that my LBS Palos Verdes Bicycle Center offers wonderful (and I mean Great) customer service and I like them an awful lot. If it wasn't them, I'd drop my order in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, since 2013's are out, see if you can get a great deal on the 2012 model (look for a 2012 Rockhopper, it has the M4 aluminum frame, the 2013 are just like the Hard Rock with A1 Premium aluminum). I rode a lot of 29ers and 26 FS bikes (I am 5' 8") and I ended buying the 26 FS. Hopefully, you can ride them to make your choice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Made a decision

Well here it is in all it's ugliness. Decided to go with the 26er mostly because I don't want to smoke my wife when we're on the road going to/from the trailhead. It's not a whole lot better than my old steel Mongoose (also flat primer black, no suspension) with the exception of being aluminum and having mechanical disc's rather than cantilever brakes (if that's what you call them). This bike will do for now maybe 2-3 years. The Mongoose wasn't worth upgrading so it becomes my beach bike with my surfboard carrier on it for good. ((Used to swap seat and seatpost together when I was going/not going to the beach (PITA))

My LBS said the graphics are removable so I could always paint it to match my truck (I wouldn't dare do that to a high gloss bike with good graphics) so I guess I'll learn to like it with the removable decals, peel them off if I get sick of them (or decide there is a fade image concern and I should peel them immediately, or paint the frame to match my truck (er...wife's comment=not)

Anyway, I'm cool with my decision and Thanks for your help,

P.S. I'm sure some of you guys know what Graphics and Custom Paint Guys are out there, so any contact info would be great!

Time to shut up and ride,

Hank :D

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Keep in mind, repainting a Specialized frame voids the lifetime warranty, if that matters to you. There's one place in the whole country you can ship the frame to and have repowder coated and still maintain the warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts