Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my old Ibex SS and I'm in the market for a new bike, and quick! I've been looking locally, but nothing in my size or my flavor has come my way. The riding season is too short to keep waiting for a nice used bike to come around.

I'm thinking of a GF HKEK, Ibex Trophy Pro, or something else. I have been looking at the old Haro Sonix 120, and the only local one was really beat up. I've also been eyeing the 07 Jamis Dakar XCR. If I could find a Giant NRS locally in my size, that would be another fine choice.

I'm not set on either a hard tail or FS. Hardtail would suit my local conditions fine, but I've been thinking a FS would be a welcome change of pace.

So, have at it! You've got roughly 1000 to spend, a little more will be spent for a quality bike.

·
Registered
422 Posts
From your list, if you have the money, the Dakar has the best components and is full suspension.

FYI, the Giant NRS has a few fans, but most reviews aren't positive. There's a reason people have said NRS stands for "No Rear Suspension". There's much better out there than the NRS.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The Ibex has better components overall,but the components on the Jamis are nothing to sneeze at either.The difference in the price isn't bad considering the Jamis is a (light) FS so I guess it's up to your personal preference.I like both,I'd have a tough choice deciding between the two.I guess if I had a gun to my head I would take the Ibex,the Juicy 7's are much better then the 3's and the Reba is better then the R7 forks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
CRed said:
The Ibex has better components overall,but the components on the Jamis are nothing to sneeze at either.The difference in the price isn't bad considering the Jamis is a (light) FS so I guess it's up to your personal preference.I like both,I'd have a tough choice deciding between the two.I guess if I had a gun to my head I would take the Ibex,the Juicy 7's are much better then the 3's and the Reba is better then the R7 forks.
For me it comes down to the Reba and XT shifters. The J7s are a nice bonus.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
amillion3,

The Trophy Pro at $1299 is IMHO, loaded..
Not just because I'm an IBEX "fanboy" but as you know I'm a component junkie first and foremost..
The frameset rides like a dream..The bladed chainstays really do suck up vibration that is common on aluminum hardtails..
(pics of my 07' frameset build)
The dropouts are pure eye candy..
The 70° headtube angle makes for a controlled ride in both technical single track and fast XC venues..

What can I say, I love my Trophy :p

Jake

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to compete with the Ibex's great components. Full XTs with J7s and a reba shock...that's hard to deal with.

I've ridden the Trophy frame, and while I wasn't blow away, I never had any complaints and think it to be very competent. It seems my budget for a FS new, is a bit low. If it was a used FS, it might be a different story.

Keep the input coming. I've got another week or so before the final choice is made.

And I had no idea that NRS stood for no rear suspension. Leave it to Giant...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The Giant NRS was redesigned in 2004 to address partly the problem that the rear suspension wasnt responsive. The NRS suspension is a four-bar suspension that Giant licensed from Specialized. I think a 2004 or 2005 Giant NRS Air or NRS 1 could easily be had for less than $1000. Before Specialized came out with the Epic the NRS was argueably the most popular XC full suspension race bike. Part of the reason Giant went with the different suspension was the licensing problem with Specialized.

Heres an example of how much 1K can get you in a used bike a 2005 Giant NRS with a Fox fork and Race Face Deus XC cranks and a pretty light build group. This bike could ride circles around the Jamis or Ibex mentioned.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/bik/715955790.html

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad that Giant wasn't a medium...

It looks like I've found a bike, none of which I mentioned. I found a lightly used 07 GF Paragon 29er. Not quite what I was aiming for, but it was a good price nonetheless. I'll be back riding next week!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.