Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
geez would ya look at my Nuvinci equipped commuter MonoCog now...

I didn't weigh it when I was done replacing the rear rim and adding fenders today. I'd say it's a 45 pounder. Today I replaced the bent Velocity Blunt on the rear with a Mavic A719 and reverted back to v-brakes for the rear instead of the disc that was on there because it was interfering with the pannier bags.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just rode back from the store with a 6-pack of Dixie, 4 pack of Belgian beers, and 2 big Japanese beers. Also a loaf of bread, bag of chips, and box of crackers all fit into those two bags, with room to spare.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mojoe said:
Cool!!!!

My Karate Monkey is my do-it-all machine with front and rear racks.

Here's a pic from today's ride.

Mojoe
Looks like a nice ride, what rack is that on the rear? It seems to be pretty far back there. Mine was up close so I went with some smaller pannier bagss so my heels would clear them. Even though they're smaller they still hold an awful lot. I haven't filled them up yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
it's a Jandd rack on the rear. I had to cut the cross brace out to clear the tire. It sits pretty far back, but I've also got smallish panniers.

madcap said:
Looks like a nice ride, what rack is that on the rear? It seems to be pretty far back there. Mine was up close so I went with some smaller pannier bagss so my heels would clear them. Even though they're smaller they still hold an awful lot. I haven't filled them up yet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
madcap said:
I just rode back from the store with a 6-pack of Dixie, 4 pack of Belgian beers, and 2 big Japanese beers. Also a loaf of bread, bag of chips, and box of crackers all fit into those two bags, with room to spare.
Mmmmm...food of the gods!

Sweet looking machine. I'd like to learn more about the nuvinci...

Mikey

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dblspeed said:
Nice setup madcap, how do you like the nuvinci so far?
The Nuvinci is really nice. Still my only complaint since the beginning of using it is the weight. With freewheel it's over 9lbs. They recently released a revised version of the hub that weighs over a pound less. The shifting action is completely smooth and seamless, just basically twist the grip to set it exactly where you need it for whatever you're doing, riding flats, going uphill, etc. I have a 34T front chainring and the rear freewheel is I believe a 18T. With this combination it's really hard to get the bike moving in it's highest ratio, so I keep it a little lower than the highest ratio until the bike is moving and then either keep it there or twist a little to go higher. According to my speedo, I've gotten the bike up to 30mph before and that was some work to get it there. I have had no troubles with the hub so far, and gotten used to it's weight. I did have to change my front fork out because that heavy hub on the rear changed the handling of the bike, making it more sluggish. I opted for a Vassago fork that had 7mm more offset going from 38mm stock offset to 45mm, giving me back the quicker handling I wanted, an added bonus was the fork was disc specific with fender mounts. Overall I'm pleased with the hub, it does exactly as advertised.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MikeyLikesIt said:
Sweet looking machine. I'd like to learn more about the nuvinci...
here's a video...

and there's more video and technical jargon at nuvinci.com

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Mojoe said:
Cool!!!!

My Karate Monkey is my do-it-all machine with front and rear racks.

Here's a pic from today's ride.

Mojoe
I didn't need to see that. Makes me want to sell the Salsa again. I tried to sell it a few weeks ago for a 26er, but the guy backed out last minute.

I wonder how I can put a rack like those on the Salsa Mamacita now...hmmm...but its disc only with a monostay and discs. Might not work at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.