Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

#1 son age 6 is off training wheels on his little 16 incher going like a banshee. I've been taking him on little 3 mile loops around the neighborhood to teach him about traffic etc. Last night we came back on a flat four-wheeler trail through a wooded section behind our house, he was so excited to ride on a dirt trail! He is already asking if we can go back there again this afternoon.

He is ready to go to a bigger bike, a 24 is maybe a bit much for him now. I'm thinking a 20 inch BMX but I'm just not sure about it or even which kind.

Any parental input or opinions out there?

Thanks,
FlynG

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My experience

I bought my kids new bikes a couple of years ago and failed to get their input before I bought. My daughter was fine with her bike, but in retrospect I should have bought my son a BMX style bike instead of the Wally World Mongoose full suspension bike I got him. My thought was that the kids would love riding offroad as much as the old man. WRONG! Neither has really taken to the offroad aspect of riding so we stick to the paved paths. This year when my son outgrew his old bike, we built him a BMX bike from the frame up with a great deal of input from him. Bottom line, listen to what your kid wants and buy (within reason) a bike that matches the type of riding they will do.

In your case, you seem to have already laid the groundwork for your son. If he likes offroad riding do one of two things. Either buy him a BMX bike (SE, Haro, Mongoose Pro or Diamondback would be good brands to consider) or a kids mountain bike (many of the major bike manufacturers have kids bikes). Just be sure to get something the kids likes so as to make his riding experience more enjoyable.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.