Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
301 - 320 of 329 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm stupid given ITUO is out of business but I like the lights enough I just ordered the XP3 through Amazon. I want to configure it so the XP3 is on the bars with a flood - spot - flood optics and then my XP2 on my helmet will be spot-wide (or spot-spot). I'll then dedicate the other XP2 to my cross bike with a spot-wide combo.

I think I have enough optics for this....

There is part of me that thinks this is foolish as I don't think RAKC will help me with the XP3 if it has any issues (as it was bought through Amazon and not him) but it is worth the risk. When I look at the competition I don't see anything else comparable at the moment...

I'm not sure if I'm stupid given ITUO is out of business but I like the lights enough I just ordered the XP3 through Amazon. I want to configure it so the XP3 is on the bars with a flood - spot - flood optics and then my XP2 on my helmet will be spot-wide (or spot-spot). I'll then dedicate the other XP2 to my cross bike with a spot-wide combo.

I don't think you're stupid. These are very nice lamps. If you buy through Amazon I'm sure there is a return policy if something is wrong. At least there is still a place that has some of the lamps. Like you I'm after some of the optics but I would need to go through a vendor to get those.

I don't know what optics come standard on the XP series lamps. When I ordered mine I ordered only the lamp head and already setup with all spots. By next year I might want to run the XP3 on the bars. If I do I'd like to try out a couple different optic options but for now I might have to try to use other sources if I decide to make changes.

There is part of me that thinks this is foolish as I don't think RAKC will help me with the XP3 if it has any issues (as it was bought through Amazon and not him) but it is worth the risk. When I look at the competition I don't see anything else comparable at the moment
Sounds like a smart purchase to me. Even with no mfg. warranty still happy I got the 3 I own when I could. XP3 is absolutely the best helmet light I've ever used so would encourage you to try it in that configuration while your experimenting with your setup. Enjoy!!!
Mole

Service would still apply the same, repairs are what parts we still have till gone, customer pays shipping charges, parts and labor are free.

Get what you can while you can basically, nothing stupid about it.

The "bang for buck" may have been part of their failure when you consider the prices of lights that can come close to competing.

Their on amazon, grab then while you can. Im out of all lights now anyway. Just makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

QUOTE=Cat
I don't know what optics come standard on the XP series lamps. When I ordered mine I ordered only the lamp head and already setup with all spots. By next year I might want to run the XP3 on the bars. If I do I'd like to try out a couple different optic options but for now I might have to try to use other sources if I decide to make changes.
For me I've found the XP3 over kill for bar use. Not that it doesn't make a good bar light, I just never find any situation where anything over 50 - 60% power is necessary. XP2 on the bar (with one or two Gloworm XS wide angle optics) and XP3 helmet mounted (stock spots) is as good an off-road setup as I've found. I've tried some different optics with my XP3 and for me with my glare sensitive eyes have only been able to use the Gloworm XS wide angle (elliptical) optics to widen the beam. Any symmetrical wide angle or even the Ituo wide spots created too much forground light has been my experience. Just FYI stuff, always interested to hear how other setup their lights.
Mole

For me the wide spots are my favorite.

Xp3 and 4 are overkill but I like using them in lower modes as I dont have to worry about heat issues on hot nights. My mentality behind it.

Dual xp3s is kind of my favorite set up though my pr1200 does seem to be doing well on the bars for dusk rides, havent been out for a full, pitch black ride in a long while. Wiz20 on wide spots is nice too (so of course xp2 would be as well) with my xp3 on the lid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interesting take on the optics by MrMole.

My thinking was along these lines. Here in Colorado our trails tend to be open with long curves. They're not so much tight and twisty. I did a recent video on the lights (it's linked a few posts up) where I actually surprised myself by liking bar mounts better for trail definition. While you can't beat a helmet for spotting where you want to go I like the bar position for general lighting fill. Hence my thoughts on two floods and a spot. With three lights though, perhaps spot-flood-wide would also be good?

Originally I did not get the XP3 as the run times are shorter than my preference (I ride for up to 3-1/2 hours at night) but like RAKC I can configure these to run at lower output.

I never use low on my XP2 (apart from in snow). I use medium except for downhill when I put full on. I figure I will tune the XP3 so that low is similar to the XP2 medium and medium is similar to the XP2 high. Then I'll reserve high on the XP3 for when I REALLY want to punch it (30-40 mph runs off road) [emoji51][emoji51]

QUOTE=TheNormsk;13357537]Interesting take on the optics by MrMole.

My thinking was along these lines. Here in Colorado our trails tend to be open with long curves. They're not so much tight and twisty. I did a recent video on the lights (it's linked a few posts up) where I actually surprised myself by liking bar mounts better for trail definition. While you can't beat a helmet for spotting where you want to go I like the bar position for general lighting fill. Hence my thoughts on two floods and a spot. With three lights though, perhaps spot-flood-wide would also be good?

Originally I did not get the XP3 as the run times are shorter than my preference (I ride for up to 3-1/2 hours at night) but like RAKC I can configure these to run at lower output.

I never use low on my XP2 (apart from in snow). I use medium except for downhill when I put full on. I figure I will tune the XP3 so that low is similar to the XP2 medium and medium is similar to the XP2 high. Then I'll reserve high on the XP3 for when I REALLY want to punch it (30-40 mph runs off road)
Gloworm XS wide angle (elliptical) optics are different than your typical elliptical optic. They widen the beam (like a typical symmetrical wide angle optic) + increase vertical coverage (just not to the extent of a symmetrical wide angle optic). You get just as wide a beam horizontally but only light the trees up 10' instead of 15' and decrease excessive foreground light (which is what hurts me) and because of the reduced coverage area (top and bottom) retain more of the light intensity allowing lower settings which increase battery runtime. Of course everybodys needs (terrain/vision/skill levels) are different and only recommend you try XP3 helmet mounted because it's worked so well for me. Recommendations and optic description are just raw data of you to interpret. Vision and strength limitations mean I will never see 30-40mph off-road but still relevant that the faster I go the more I prefer the XP3 helmet mounted, just more raw data.
Mole

I don't know what optics come standard on the XP series lamps. When I ordered mine I ordered only the lamp head and already setup with all spots
I believe the lamps come with spots by default. I ordered extra wide and flood when I got my XP2. I'm just taken an inventory and I have 4 spots, 2 wides and 2 floods. I get my XP3 on Tuesday. Anyone know what optics that comes with?

Has anyone inserted an XP2 into a mount in what is apparently the 'wrong way' and been unable to get it out? I have two lights and one of them is simply stuck in the mount. No amount of pulling and prying can get it out and I'm afraid I'll have to take a hacksaw to the mount to have any chance of removal.
***EDIT***
Nevermind - I had to pop out the pin & spring.

301 - 320 of 329 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.